SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Which 10mm? I can't decide..
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which 10mm? I can't decide.. Login/Join 
posted
In my search for a new woods gun I've narrowed it down to these 3:

Sig Tacops 1911 10mm
Glock 20
Sig 220 10mm Stainless match elite 2 tone.

I will be carrying this pistol while riding my dirtbike, I had a g29 but it wasn't reliable so I sold it.
All 3 would cost about a grand or so since with the glock I'd get a new barrel/trigger and sights.

My only reservation about the 1911 is that if or should I say when I fall off my bike it tends to be in the mud. I'm not worried about sand or getting the pistol super dirty but I will be carrying it IWB with a Jersey over it I have always wanted a 1911 and think it would be a fun gun to have

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
As much as it pains me Glock for your needs. Similar to my needs and I sold my 220 to buy a 20SF. The 220 is a great shooting gun. It is just big and heavy with half the capacity. I needed a woods gun for Bear.
I am building a 10mm AR that will share mags.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How reliable is your g20? My g29 only seemed to work with underwood extreme penetrator rounds, or any .40 ammo. It was a new gun that was mostly stock
A 10mm ar would be pretty bitchin

Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
The Glock 20SF has been my carry pistol in rural areas. There’s no bear threat, but there are plenty of feral hogs about, and a boar with a bad attitude or a sow protecting her piglets can appear out of the brush at any time. I’m confident that the Glock will enable me to deal with any four or two legged threat that might arise. It has been totally reliable.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
As much as it pains me Glock for your needs. Similar to my needs and I sold my 220 to buy a 20SF. The 220 is a great shooting gun. It is just big and heavy with half the capacity. I needed a woods gun for Bear.
I am building a 10mm AR that will share mags.

As the owner of the Sig 10mm I reluctantly agree, the Glock 20 is your best bet.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
My vote is for the Sig P220. The Glock would be my 2nd choice.

I've never shot a 1911 in 10mm but the Sig 1911's haven't really impressed me.

I've shot the Glock and frankly wasn't overly impressed. Worked fine but was a little too big for me.

The Sig 220 on the other hand is a wonderful platform and I recall seeing an interview with Bruce Gray discussing the factory built 220 10mm and he gave it high praise.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Reading this makes me want to get a 10mm Glock... Big Grin

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easy answer, an HK USP FS .45 with .45 Super ammo. I went through a bunch of 10mm pistols, for use as a field gun in AK, and once I went USP, have never looked back. I am running the Underwood Lehigh Extreme Penetrator .45 Super load for my woods use.

Posts: 182 | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Where are you? If you’re close to east Texas, come out and I’ll let you shoot a G20, G40, P220, Ruger SR1911, and a Rock Island 1911. I have quite a bit of PPU ammo (weak). It have some Corbon and some other, warm 10mm ammo.
The Glocks will probably be your best all around pistols. And you won’t worry too much about scratching them up carrying them like that $1k+ SIG.
My RIA has been the most reliable of the two 1911 pistols. The Ruger likes the hotter ammo. But we will see how things go as the Ruger catches up to the RIA with regards to round count.
The Glocks and the P220 haven’t hiccuped so far, but I haven’t shot the P220 very much yet.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
G20. Replace the stock plastic sights with quality sights of your choice. I use Underwood Ammo for carry and Federal American Eagle for practice.
Since you are dirt biking, the G20 will be the more practical piece and should function fine when dusty.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
G20. Replace the stock plastic sights with quality sights of your choice. I use Underwood Ammo for carry and Federal American Eagle for practice.
Since you are dirt biking, the G20 will be the more practical piece and should function fine when dusty.

G20. I'd say G29 for your application, but you've had a bad experience (which surprises me). Most Glocks tend to be very reliable; my G29 is no exception.

I just picked up a G40 and love it; it's a bit bigger than the G20, but not by much. The G20 seems big at first, but it's not.

Of curiosity, did you do anything aftermarket with your G29?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only things I changed on my g29 were the sights and the trigger shoe. I used the stock trigger bar and thought maybe I put it back together wrong and took it to an armorer who confirmed everything was assembled correctly. I live in Ohio and go riding on the Hatfield McCoy trail in West Virginia.
And you guys are right that the Glock makes the most sense but it is hard to go back after my experience. I will also need to conceal this pistol while we’re out getting food after a day of riding but that’s not my primary concern. I want reliability and easy to shoot more than anything

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
How reliable is your g20? My g29 only seemed to work with underwood extreme penetrator rounds, or any .40 ammo. It was a new gun that was mostly stock
A 10mm ar would be pretty bitchin

I’ll let you know when it arrives.
Still waiting on it.

Did you ever contact Glock about the issues?
Glocks are some of my least favorite but must give credit where is credit is due. They generally just flat run and their CS will do what they need to so you have a gun that functions with no issue.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Nah, I was about to but I had a buddy who wanted it knowing my experience with it so I let it go. The g29 was too small for the cartridge anyway

posted Hide Post
I've never had an issue with my G29 (or G30). They run 100%.

I did have three hang-ups on the feed ramp with the G40 the other day when taking it out, initially; all three occurred when dropping the slide to chamber the first round. I switched mags, problem disappeared. Went back to the original mag, still no problem. No issues in operation; it cycled and fed just fine.

I think that some of the utility of the 10mm is lost as the barrel length shrinks to a G29 or smaller size; if going small, there may be a point of diminishing returns where a different cartridge would make more sense. At a 3.5-4" barrel, however, one is still pushing 500 ft. lbs of energy, and can get upward of 650-700 ft-lbs of energy with the right ammunition.

The G20 nets an inch extra of barrel, and about 50 more ft-lbs of muzzle energy.

A move to the G40 can bump the available muzzle energy up as much as 200 ft-lbs, over the G29 with the same ammunition.

What kind of issues were you having with the G29?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I bought a P-220 in ten mm for when I'm up at my Cousins in NW MT , which is grizzly bear country. I carry it in a chest rig.

The P-220 IS heavy though. But FLAT which makes it easier to work around versus any of the revolvers I have tried to carry while we work in the woods.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
A couple of thoughts. I started with a G21 and a 45 ACP to 10 mm KKM conversion barrel. Then moved to both a G20 and G40.
Since I reload I can massage my loads to suit my needs. I like to 'plink' with the G40 (threaded barrel and brake). It is also possible to shoot 40 S&W from the G's. The composite frame is a bit softer to shoot over a metal frame.

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I carry a G20 with Underwood ammo in critter country. Cougars and black bears.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trebor44:
A couple of thoughts. I started with a G21 and a 45 ACP to 10 mm KKM conversion barrel. Then moved to both a G20 and G40.
Since I reload I can massage my loads to suit my needs. I like to 'plink' with the G40 (threaded barrel and brake). It is also possible to shoot 40 S&W from the G's. The composite frame is a bit softer to shoot over a metal frame.

Forgive my ignorance. Are you saying you can shoot .40s&w from a regular old G20, or are you using a conversion barrel?
I have a metric ton of .40s&w ammo but no .40s&w guns.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Glock 20 all the way. Great pistol.
If you want to tourque up the velocity on any given ammo you have the option of buying Glock's factory extended barrel and turn it into a G40 while maintaining the same size frame/platform

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post