SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Looking for a range holster for P320 that keeps the barrel parallel to the leg.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a range holster for P320 that keeps the barrel parallel to the leg. Login/Join 
posted
I have been using a Blade-Tech Classic OWB, with the drop/offset adapter. It works great, but the gun is pointed at my ankle.

At an OpSpec training class this last weekend I noticed others were wearing a similar plastic/kydex holster that had standoffs to keep the gun parallel to the leg, not angled in. I have looked online, but not found what I am looking for yet.

Any suggestions?

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I was at MOAC in Arizona with Bruce and company. I saw he was wearing one of those hangers and asked him where I could get one. He gave me a new one out of his bag. Awesome guy.

https://dawsonprecision.com/sp...blade-tech-comp-tac/

Link above to get one.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Safariland and G-Code make products like you're looking for. The UBL and Optimal Drop, respectively.

Those are hangers, which you would need appropriate hardware to mount your holster to.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Those hangers I linked to are built to replace the drop and offset from Bladetech.
All the hardware is included.
The BOSS hanger is another similar option.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the BOSS hangar with a Red Hill Tactical holster.

The DAA premium belt is stiff enough to keep it in place.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RN shoooter,

I was at an OpSpec class this last weekend, and noticed that Bruce Gray did have what you linked. Perhaps I should have asked about it...

That drop/offset kit appears to rely on belt stiffness to keep the holster from canting in. Harold H., one of the other instructors, had a Blade-Tech type holster that used plastic standoffs, which would push against the leg. I checked with Harold, and apparently that model is no longer made.

Checking the other provided links, thanks to everyone, still have not found a holster with the built in spacer/stand-off.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think you're going to find a holster with a built-in standoff. That's the purpose of the holster hangar.

There are a number of hangars which don't provide support against the leg or hip, and those will allow the holster to dip in toward the leg, or allow holster movement when drawing.

With both the Springer and the BOSS (shockbottle) holster hangars, the hangar drop-down lays against the hip and leg and the standoff extends from that. During holstering and drawing, the holster orientation remains fixed. This results in less friction, and a more consistent draw. It also prevents the holster from bowing inward and covering the leg with the muzzle.

Holsters like Blade tech are light weight, flexible, and will eventually fail along the seams. They're folded, mass production plastic thin items, and where they're folded, they will fail. A heavier duty holster will survive; some of the better holsters use two layers of kydex, are quite stiff, and nearly unbreakable.

The Springer hangar comes with a couple of holster patterns available. The BOSS can be had in nearly every holster bolt pattern, to fit almost any holster. Presently I have five belt rigs set up for different pistols; each uses the BOSS holster hangar.

The standoff lengths will depend on the distance you want for separation of the handgun grip from your body, for a smooth grip and draw; this, in turn, will depend on the classification you intend to shoot (production, limited, open, etc). The hangars can be ordered with specific length standoffs, and additional length spacers can be had at the local hardware store.

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I would go with one of the hangers above and a stiff belt from Bladetech or the like. You can transfer your present holster to the hanger or have one made by JM Custom Kydex. He will make one from "heavy duty" kydex, on request.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

posted Hide Post
Now I understand. What I thought was part of the holster was really an offset adapter, probably by Ben Stoeger.

-c1steve

posted Hide Post
Ben Stoeger sells the Boss hangar at his Pro Shop online, but it's made by Shockbottle, and can be purchased direct, I believe.

posted Hide Post
Steve, email sent with link. The set up you saw me using was an older bladetech holster mounted to the BOSS hanger. I prefer it to the Springer that’s been linked because I really drive down into the gun on a draw and the design keeps it from flexing.

Bruce usually runs the Springer hanger. It’s also great. But he is not as aggressive on the draw.

Either should serve you well. If you prefer something that quick detaches or is mor “duty grade” then the Gcode and Safariland UBL/VBL are all excellent. I’m sure there are others that are also great.

Harold

Posts: 204 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Harold. I am going with the BOSS hanger, and keeping my Blade-Tech holster. I also use the G-code RTI quick release mount, will incorporate that somehow.

-c1steve