Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
.327 Mag Login/Join 
posted
Anyone own a .327 Mag. Opinions on the round and how it shoots?

Thanks

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yup. Bought an SP101 when it first came out, then they cancelled it.
Brought out the newer SP101 and now they even make .327 practice and target rounds.
Seems like it is here to stay after other manufacturers and Ruger are producing higher quantities.

The round itself shoots straight and true. More stores are carrying the ammo now. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Report This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
Bought one too when first introduced. Not going to sell it. What does that say? Henry is coming out with a 327 lever this summer. Guess what?

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Report This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
An interesting round!

The ammo tends to be expensive, but you can shoot .32 H&R Magnum in any gun made for .327 Fed Mag. That .32 H&R Magnum ammo can be found from places like Georgia Arms for less than the premium .327 ammo from Federal.

It is a great round to re-load, too, and becomes very inexpensive if you make your own (the .312 Hornady 100 and 85 grain JHP bullets are ideal, and a bunch of companies produce lead, coated lead, and plated bullets for plinking).

The .327 Fed Mag is small enough that smallish revolvers (e.g., S&W 632, SP101) can get six rounds into a cylinder that fits only five rounds of .38/.357 Magnum. This is a real bonus in a weapon being carried for self defense.

The .327 Fed Mag can rip along, too, at 1500 fps -- giving a flat-shooting 100 grain bullet the same energy as a .38 Spec +P or even a .357 Mag. The downside is that a hot .327 Fed Mag round needs a bit of barrel to reach its potential -- my guess is nothing less than 3" and preferably 4" -- and the round makes a lot of noise and blast.

I think the .327 Fed Mag is here to stay. Federal and Ruger seem committed to it. It is worth keeping around -- as people have written, it is everything the .32 H&R Magnum round was meant to be.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Report This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I have two Taurus 2" 327 Federal Mag revolvers, bought them when I couldn't get a Ruger in that caliber about the time Ruger discontinued the 327 originally.

I like the caliber, much more than the 357 Magnum.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Also have an SP101 3" in .327FedMag.
Sweet gun, but a pain in the ass to clean.
Chambers foul badly.
Too bad. My GF carried it for a while before she got her S&W M&P Shield.
Now it sits in a drawer.

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought the Ruger Single-Seven when it first came out. It's a nifty cartrudge for sure!

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Report This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Stainless Sister

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Report This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I'd really like a shrouded or closed hammer no-lock Smith in this caliber, with titanium cylinder and airweight frame. 11-12oz unloaded and it would make for an awesome pocket gun.

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the SP101 with 4.2" barrel and adjustable sights. I use it for plinking and as the next step up from a .22 for new shooters.

Start with .32 Smith & Wesson Long (or even .32 ACP) and move up to .32 H&R Magnum and then to .327 Federal Magnum.

I may pick up an LCR in .327 as well. The Henry sounds interesting too.

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagnumU:
I have the SP101 with 4.2" barrel and adjustable sights. I use it for plinking and as the next step up from a .22 for new shooters.

Start with .32 Smith & Wesson Long (or even .32 ACP) and move up to .32 H&R Magnum and then to .327 Federal Magnum.

I may pick up an LCR in .327 as well. The Henry sounds interesting too.

I hope the Henry is a round barrel about the size of the 22 lr /22 WMR series, not a heavy ocxtogon barrel.

美しい犬

posted Hide Post
The Ruger SP101 in 327 Mag turned out to be an excellent pistol for my wife. She can practice shooting with lightweight ammo and still have a very effective weapon for self defense. She shoots many rounds at the range with whatever lighter round we can find at the lgs and finishes her range time with a cylinder of the magnum rounds.

Small hands can work revolvers a lot easier than automatics.

And, the 327 Magnum ammo was available throughout the ammo shortages of recent years.

Posts: 1252 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Report This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I bought an SP101 in that caliber a few years back and really like the caliber, but just couldn't shoot the gun itself very well. Something about the grip just didn't fit my hand, so I sold it. I still have a half box of ammo on my shelf I need to give away to somebody, unless I pick up a Taurus in that caliber sometime soon... which is unlikely.

Posts: 4583 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Report This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Is the 327 Mag cartridge too long to fit into a Glock semi-auto?

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
Is the 327 Mag cartridge too long to fit into a Glock semi-auto?

Yup. Now if only we could get a 327 double stack Desert Eagle...

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, you sold me. Now to find one.

Thanks

posted Hide Post
Did S&W ever make one? I'd love a 6-shot J-frame in .327 with the standard 2 1/4" magnum barrel. I think S&W made a 3" version which kind of defeated the purpose.

Of course, I really wish they'd make the 940 again - or something that can shoot .357, .38, or 9mm.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Found one. Roughly $500.

posted Hide Post
I REALLY REALLY wish S&W would bring it back in both a 3" and offer a 4". I would not be able to resist.

Posts: 190 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2015Report This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Did S&W ever make one? I'd love a 6-shot J-frame in .327 with the standard 2 1/4" magnum barrel. I think S&W made a 3" version which kind of defeated the purpose.

Of course, I really wish they'd make the 940 again - or something that can shoot .357, .38, or 9mm.

They DID make one, the S&W 632. It's a 3" barreled j-frame that holds six cartridges. The barrel is ported. They made them in a blackened stainless and a straight stainless finish.

I have one in the stainless finish. LOVE this little revolver.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Report This Post