SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What’s the consensus on the 225a1
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What’s the consensus on the 225a1 Login/Join 
posted
I think the pistol will be the equivalent of the beretta 92g type m. Later down the line. I found it to be thin, accurate, reliable whose drawback was 9 rounds. I found the checkering on the front strap to be exceptional combined with the g10 grip, to a bite to my hand and would not move. I wish that the m11a1 had that front strap checkering.

Am I alone in this opinion

Posts: 532 | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Great shooter. It's expensive, so I don't think it gets the attention it deserves.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice pistol, but the price point is too high.

Now where's the ST version?

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Nice but they just recycled 239 mags for it. Rumors of 9 and 10 round mags never came to fruition. The top end was basically a 239 so it was just a 239 with a slightly longer grip with no more capacity. Typical SIG move not fulfilling the potential of it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Too expensive and it should be a 10+1 pistol. It appears “artificially” limited to 8 to work with P239 mags.

I have NO PROBLEM with 8+1 in a pistol. I just have an issue when I look at the mag baseplate and gun and realize 9-11+1 is doable and it appears to be a cost cutting measure to use P239 mags.

Just my 2 cents and I REALLY like the P225/P225A1/P239.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never liked the 239. Maybe because it was dao
But the 225a1 package was liked from day 1

Posts: 532 | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Excellent pistol, but born way too late. Is on the Discontinued List for 2020.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can’t disagree with most of the above. My two though have the best trigger from the factory of any of my Sigs. Including my Legion with the grayguns trigger. It’s a single stack so expecting high capacity is a bit silly. Expecting maybe a one round increase would have been nice.

If you are a capacity guy you won’t like it. If you like old school sig styling with some noticeable upgrades and don’t mind 8+1 then you will like it.

Mine won’t go away.

Oh yea, the price point was way off. I bought one new one barely used (thanks Q) and never even got close to msrp.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t think pricing was the issue. If so, that issue applies to any classic line P series. If anything, the A1’s extras (G10s, undercut, SRT) serve to make the price attractive, in comparison to its cousins.

Ultimately, it relates to capacity for many people. It seemed to be placed at a bad spot on the spectrum. If one was willing to carry something of that size & weight, might as well go with the higher capacity of a 229. Or, if one was not concerned as to carry, might as well go with 226 or 220.

I’ve been tempted to buy the A1 for some time. Aesthetically, I really like it and the reviews of owners have been very strong. Yet, I don’t carry. Furthermore, I have long hands. Thus, I know that I would tend to shoot my 226 or 220, more than the 225.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me the 225-A1 is my favorite and most accurate sig that I own, next to my P239. I am definitley a fan of single stack pistols and carry an extra mag so I am fine with Capacity. If not for the P365, the P225-A1 would be my primary everyday carry.
Too bad to hear this could be discontinued as I would jump on an all stainless version

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Best shooter out of the box I own. I have the wood grip version, so I think it's good-looking. too!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one, it's a great fit for medium to smaller hands. Really, in most respects it's a Mini-Legion given the frame mods, trigger guard undercut, checkering, and SRT trigger. Just doesn't have the gray finish and the X-Ray sights.

But I agree on the recycled 239 mags and extended "filler" base plate. Should have been at least a 9+1 and Sig went cheap. I'm pretty sure the frame and grips could have been designed to fit an extended +1 base of some kind.

But, given the P365 XL is a 12+1, lighter, cheaper, and smaller, but still with a full length grip, the P225A1 is only going to sell to Sig fans.

Just like S&W moved entirely to the M&P and discontinued all of their DA/SA metal frames, Sig is going the same direction. Maybe not entirely, but it's already happening.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a shame they discontinued the model and I agree the mag capacity should have been higher. I had an older version and was amazed at how well it fit me compared to other metal Sigs.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the ridiculous mag design is what killed it, imo. This gun should have had a 10-rd mag from the get go. Or, at least 9 rounds. There was just no physical excuse to use the P239 mag body and added that useless plastic extender at the bottom.

Q

Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Yeah, the ridiculous mag design is what killed it, imo. This gun should have had a 10-rd mag from the get go. Or, at least 9 rounds. There was just no physical excuse to use the P239 mag body and added that useless plastic extender at the bottom.

That.

I would have bought one as a summer carry. Instead I waited in perpetuity for the rumored 10-round magazines, and then the Army dropped TDA, so I did as well.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10 rds in a true single stack that fits flush with the 225 length grip is never gonna happen.

The P6/P225 only had an 8rd mag and it is all metal to the base plate. The most they could have done is used a re-designed spring and follower to perhaps get 9. That would have been worth it IMHO, they could have stuck with P6 mag bodies, no need for new tooling. Oh well...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm down with the OP's opinion and will be bottomfeeding for cheap 225A1s now that they're discontinued. I generally don't like SIG's more compact pistols, but the 225A1 fits me (and my pudgy paws and fingers) well. The 225A1 certainly fits me better and shoots better for me than the P239. The two problems I had with my 225A1: those blasted "combat sight set up" sights with their POI a good 6 inches lower than the POA, and the fact that a slightly longer sight radius would have made the pistol easier to shoot well. I would've taken a higher-capacity magazine, but I have enough 9-round 9mms that occasionally make it into the "in case of 'oh, shit'" rotation that it's really not an issue for me.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I found that a CZ PCR with G10 grips is dang near identical in thickness to a P225A1. Kinda puts the outdated design into perspective.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I find one for $400 I might jump. Otherwise I will keep on scrounging mags for my 225 Classics.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post