SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 Drop Safety in Question (Formerly DPD Recall thread)
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 89
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Drop Safety in Question (Formerly DPD Recall thread) Login/Join 
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted
Anyone have any details? Is this really happening or just a rumor?

This is from another forum:
I found out last night that our department has now banned all P320s. I was told that Sig Sauer has discovered a safety defect with the gun and that it might discharge if dropped. They also said that until Sig comes up with a fix for the problem that we can no longer carry them after today. In speaking with several officers who have them I haven't heard of any issues like this. However, none of them have dropped their guns to see if it will go off and I'm sure that they don't plan on doing so anytime soon. I was planning on purchasing a full-size P320 in a few weeks but obviously won't be doing so until this problem is fixed and they're again approved for use by our department. I was just wondering if anyone on here knows about this problem and what the solution might be to fix it?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: evolution,

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I think that thread was identified as a troll, and dealt with.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not saying there isn't any truth to it, but logic tells me that SIG tested drops and the military probably did too. Not saying there can't be an issue, but I'd think it would've been identified sooner.

It's the internet, so I take everything with suspicion until there's proper sourcing.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1858 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel like it is almost weekly that there is an anti P320 thread started with a rumor as its base.

I don't know if people just want to believe that there is a problem with the P320 platform as a whole, or there is just a ton of people that want to hate on the P320 platform because they have loyalty to another polymer frame striker gun. Either way there seems to be no shortage of trolls.

I get that there are isolated cases where a bad one makes it through quality control, but that is an exception not a rule.

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
This exactly what I want to read as I'm in with both feet on the 320.

I said the same thing, it had to drop tested extensively with the US Army.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
Great. Now I have to get rid of all of my 320s.

Posts: 1511 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:

Funny Big Grin

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of winter_war
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:

Send them to me and I'll see that they are disposed of properly. I'll even pay the shipping and any transfer fees for you. Wink

Posts: 755 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the poster claiming to be DPD had an Amsterdam ISP address.

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's nothing more than a rumor started by some idiot internet troll.

The P320 will NOT fire if it's dropped, unless there's something wrong with it.

I seriously doubt there's something wrong with every P320 that Dallas PD owns.

The trolls, the internet commando wannabes and the "Navy SEAL" impostors are out in full force against this fine pistol.

Ignore ALL of them.

Posts: 122 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
When something that is supposed to be huge is on the other forum and is found nowhere else in the universe, stop and think. Wink

Q

Posts: 26186 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
It's fake news...

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Until the person who is making the claim can show some sort of verification that Dallas PD stated this, I treat it like everything else on the internet.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
On another forum they claim this is real and someone who says he works for DFW PD made the original post. Yet on a different forum at least one member contacted someone who he said would know about it and that person said he knew nothing about it.

https://pistol-forum.com/showt...ety-quot-issues-quot

Posts: 9729 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I believe Bruce Gray has tested for this and was unable to reproduce.

This sounds similar to the inventornet story about all those cracked 320 frames.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it's fake. My former dept has about 150 new 40 cal 320s and I saw about 25 of the guys on duty this past weekend, I'm certain they would have mentioned any issues. BTW, they were all carrying them.

Posts: 15895 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW; the last Dept I worked for, which in in the DFW area had three for testing. About a year ago they had an AD with one. The Firearms instructor is sure it was operator error and not a flaw; he was pushing to change from the P226/P229 to the P320 as an issued weapon. So he really did his homework; and when I say change too, it would have been issued to new hires who wanted a Dept issued pistol. Other officers (Dept only hires certified experienced officers), could carry any other sidearm (obvious platforms/cal) as long as they qualified with same. I carried a P220/45 when I had to were the blue suit, I carried a 1911 in civilian dress w/S&W J frame in ankle. (I was the lead Detective). After the incident the Chief said no P320's and sent guns back. He's an old school VERY experienced swat cop from a very large city agency. I have since retired from my retirement job and have asked the Chief about it when I last visited. I think he just didn't want to have to deal with the city admin folks who threw a fit when they heard of the incident. This might be how this rumor got legs in the DFW area. There are many other agencies in the area that carry the pistol. The FI guy thinks the trigger got caught or the officer (read old timer with the typical lax handling) was fiddle fucking with it when it went POOF!

Posts: 88 | Registered: December 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you install the recoil spring backwards, it will also shoot backwards. Gives the shooter one helleva headache!

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have received notice that the P320 has been unapproved for the Dallas Police Department. Officers will either be issued a P226 9mm or purchase other department approved weapon and requalify.

Posts: 362 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's see the notice.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1858 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post