SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 Drop Safety in Question (Formerly DPD Recall thread)
Page 1 ... 84 85 86 87

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Drop Safety in Question (Formerly DPD Recall thread) Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
It looks like the striker doesn't engage the full 1mm height of the sear ....

I believe the striker lug does engage pretty much the full 1 mm height of the sear hook. The photo of the sear doesn’t show the rub mark on the hook face very well, but the rub mark below the hook face seems to indicate that the lug is in full contact with the surface before it reaches the hook and would therefore be bottomed out against the hook. The photo of the lug may be misleading because the flat surface at the front of the lug measures about 1.5 mm* and therefore its entire surface cannot contact the sear hook’s 1 mm.

The thing that might reduce the contact engagement is that the lug is slightly rounded where it contacts the sear.

* Perhaps a little less; again I have no way of making a precise measurement without disassembling everything which I didn’t feel like doing.

“I am prudent, you are fearful, he is panicking.”

Posts: 43394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
That's what I was thinking. If the engagement surfaces were perfectly parallel you would get lift as the sear dropped away, and that adds weight to the trigger pull. A slightly convex surface on one of the engagement surfaces allows the entire surface to stay in play while giving a slight roll to the trigger.

quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The thing that might reduce the contact engagement is that the lug is slightly rounded where it contacts the sear.

* Perhaps a little less; again I have no way of making a precise measurement without disassembling everything which I didn’t feel like doing.

Posts: 6836 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The question about how much contact there was in the P320 firing mechanism to prevent the striker from being released without pulling the trigger piqued my interest.

The striker pin is held to the rear in the cocked position by the sear that engages the striker pin lug. When the trigger is pulled, the sear is rotated down and the striker released.

The first photo shows the primary engagement surface of the sear circled in yellow. After the Dykem was applied, the slide was put on the gun and the trigger pulled one time. By the rub mark below the sear hook it appears that the lug engages the full height of the sear hook. That seems to be confirmed by the mark on the striker pin lug in the second photo.

I have no way of precisely measuring the height of the sear hook, but using a small rule it’s a bit over 1 millimeter (~0.04"), or just as Bruce Gray reported.

The blue ellipse circles the second engagement hook of the sear that would capture the striker pin lug if it slipped off the primary hook.

Sear:

Front surface of striker pin lug that engages the sear:

Thanks for the info.

Posts: 11 | Registered: December 31, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post