SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 Drop Safety in Question (Formerly DPD Recall thread)
Page 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 89
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Drop Safety in Question (Formerly DPD Recall thread) Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I have a question.

This recall doesn't seem to include the military version. Does the military version already have this upgrade? What is the difference between the military version and civilian version?

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The military version already has the updated parts. Assuming people are getting the MHS parts as the upgrade.

People who bought them on .mil or leo discount are not eligible for the upgrade yet. They are announcing something for those people soon

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
I have a question.

This recall...

AHHH....BLASPHEMY. It's a Voluntary (so I don't accidentally....shoot errr..drop my gun) UPGRADE.

Big Grin Wink

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
Just received this via e-mail from Sig. E-mail address is apparently from their database of registered owners:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Dear registered P320® pistol owner:

SIG SAUER is offering a voluntary upgrade program for all P320 pistols that enhances function, reliability, and overall safety including drop performance. This will include an alternate design that reduces the physical weight of the trigger, sear, and striker while additionally adding a mechanical disconnector. All P320 pistol owners are eligible. Sign up online and get your P320 upgraded at no cost to you. Once SIG SAUER receives your P320 pistol, they will apply the upgrades, test it, and then return it to you free of charge.

Please visit https://www.sigsauer.com/suppo...ary-upgrade-program/ to learn about this program and to fill out the online form.

If you have already registered for this upgrade you do not need to resubmit.

If you have additional questions, please contact customer service at 603-610-3000 option #1. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, from 8:30 am to 6 pm EDT.

Thank you!
SIG SAUER

Got the same one myself a few minutes ago.
I'll probably wait for the queue to dwindle down before signing up.
That hopefully will help benefit the guys who actually NEED their pistols to get the fix done first.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just as Nipper did, I got the e-mail today from SIG to alert me of the upgrade. Registered my P320 the day of purchase.

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Sr Officer: >>>DROP THE GUN<<<

Jr Officer: Sir, that's a P320.

Sr Officer: Shit >>>DO NOT DROP THE GUN<<<

Will the suspect drop the gun? Will it go off? Tune in next week to hear the exciting conclusion. Same gat time. Same gat channel.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am glad I got the email, otherwise I never would have heard of this issue... Eek

Posts: 2 | Registered: August 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like I have to wait to submit mine since it was an invidual officer purchase P320. Not sure how long it will take to find out when they will accept these for return.

Posts: 255 | Location: Oregon | Registered: April 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
quote:
It seems that no agency which adopted the P320 conducted any such tests.
No need. Sig said they were safe.
Glock was saying the same thing to the Miami PD in 1987.

Miami has never been safe.

Compared to Chicago, Miami is an Amish community. Wink

It's actually gotten MUCH better since the "Miami Vice" days of Glock testing and the FBI 9mm Winchester Silvertip Stop Failure....in no small part thanks to concealed carry law being passed in 1987.

While the P320 is not my cup of tea, if it is as good as some claim it is for them, I hope SIG gets everything sorted out the right way for both the invested individuals and the Army. It's essential that the Army get a high quality, fully functional and safe sidearm to help keep freedom ringing.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was at my LGS and every 320 was gone off of the shelf and signs about the free "voluntary" upgrade were about. That's all I needed to see. I'm sending my Tacops in, if it take 6 months, so what. I've got other Sigs to shoot.

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
No need. Sig said they were safe.
Glock was saying the same thing to the Miami PD in 1987.
http://blog.dilbert.com/post/164297628606/how-to-know-youre-in-a-mass-hysteria-bubble#_=_

---------------The Answer Is There Is No Answer---------------

Posts: 152 | Registered: January 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
Does the MHS version have the disconnector? I didn't notice it in this month's Guns & Ammo article photographs.

Posts: 1921 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
In 1987, Miami PD began testing the Glock 17. The tests included Glocks loaded with primed cases being thrown against or dropped onto steel and concrete. The drops were from as high as 60 feet.

No doubt, this degree of testing was due to the novelty of the Glock lockwork, being the porcelain-framed pistol loved by terrorists due to its invisibility on x-ray machines. There was a lot of curiosity and a lot of mistrust.

...and they cost more than an airport police chief makes in a month!!!

Posts: 715 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I bought this gun part of the reason I bought it was the sig reputation and reliability. Sig says the gun is safe and meets all the requirements regarding safety. So I'll leave it as it is now and see how the recall goes. Until then I'll try not to throw it at anyone

Posts: 1241 | Location: OHIO | Registered: December 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting Weekly Newsletter (e-mail) from my LGS. This is a well run medium size full service shop with a good selection of all makes of pistols. He has/had been doing a brisk business in Sig P320's. One of the employees was on Team Sig, before it was disbanded. He is not a Glockophile who was upset Sig got the Army contract.

The owner has been a personal friend for over 20 years and is NOT a risk-averse type of guy. This shows the tentacles, rightly or wrongly, of the issue. The potential legal liability risk is apparently enormous. A little guy who has spent 25 years building a good business can't afford to take the chance. Sad.

Also gives a better understanding of what Bruce Gray and other fine suppliers of P320-related products are up against. Good people who did nothing wrong are taking a hit.

EXCERPTS from his Weekly Newsletter. First paragraphs is straight off Sig Web site. Second is his own policy. I have redacted/changed the name of the business:

"Sig P320 Voluntary Recall
SIG SAUER is offering a voluntary program for P320 pistols. This will include an alternate design that reduces the physical weight of the trigger, sear, and striker while additionally adding a mechanical disconnector."

"Unless your Sig P320 has been sent back and upgraded by Sig Sauer, LGS will not perform any work on the firearm."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is an aspect I hadn't personally considered before. Conjecture on my part, but I already presumed sending a non-upgraded P320 to Sig for work (non-upgrade) is also impossible. If the result at the end of the day is: (1) Banned from repairs by Sig and local/national gunsmiths, (2) Banned from national level training courses and (3) Banned from commercial ranges. This is/could be a BIG problem.

For many P320 owners, the penalty for NOT upgrading could be enormous. Not to mention resale issues. A real can of worms.

You wonder how widespread this is. Has anybody else seen this yet with any gunsmiths you know?

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Sig would definitely refuse to work on non modded guns. Of course, they would gladly mod the gun for free and then do your requested updates. No real loss.

I have owned guns from all major manufacturers. They all have had recalls. They all have had individual guns that shouldn't have left the factory.

The way I see this, they are guilty, as of now, of some poor wordsmithing. In today's day and age though if I had to go on record about the sky being blue I would be careful of my wording. In other words, I will throw them a bone on that one. My wife just got called a nazi, white supremacist, murderer by a 16 year old on facebook because she tried to tell her that calling everyone these names if they voted for Trump wasn't an effective or reasonable way to bring about change. Its fucking nuts out there.

Their free to me modification program is about as good as I could ask.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
......Its fucking nuts out there......

The most succinct, accurate description I've heard so far. Smile

To make it clear, I also think Sig resolved this in a fair manner. However, this is manna from heaven for the tort lawyers. Reality is not something they care about. None of the issues I mentioned affect me personally. Just thought I'd mention them for the SF members who may be affected.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 3/4Flap:
With some "modification" needed to the slide, SIG isn't going to farm them out to Century Arms where some guy with an angle grinder is going to apply the fix, are they?

Has Sig done this in the past ?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phelen_Kell:
The military version already has the updated parts. Assuming people are getting the MHS parts as the upgrade.

People who bought them on .mil or leo discount are not eligible for the upgrade yet. They are announcing something for those people soon

The military version hasn't actually been built yet - other than the test guns.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post