SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Big-Bore Single-Action Revolver "Just Like" My "Old Style" Ruger Single Six?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big-Bore Single-Action Revolver "Just Like" My "Old Style" Ruger Single Six? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
The Do you have that one gun? That old friend if you will. thread prompted me to finally ask a question I've had on my mind for a while.

So let's say I wanted a single-action revolver that as closely as possible mimicked my trusty old Old Model Ruger Single Six Convertible, only in .357 Magnum: What, exactly, am I looking for?

I'd like it to be carry-able, OWB, with all six chambers loaded, so I know it'll have to be a new model, with the transfer bar and all. (If I ever get one of these I plan to eventually get a Proper Gunbelt & Holster for it, complete with ammo loops all 'round Smile.)

I think what I want is some form of Ruger Blackhawk? I understand these can be modified to still be safe with six loaded, but, get the good ol' "triple-click" back and be (re)-loadable at half-cock with the loading gate open?

And I think I want it to be stainless, rather than blued, but, I'm not married to that idea.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Freedom arms 83 for me, in 454 c and 45 lc.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think what I want is some form of Ruger Blackhawk? I understand these can be modified to still be safe with six loaded, but, get the good ol' "triple-click" back and be (re)-loadable at half-cock with the loading gate open?

You're mixing design elements here. The Rooger design Blackhawk already has 'carry six' with their transfer bar upgrade some 35+ years ago, without the 'clicks'. Colt remains old style SAA clicks & half-cock loading gate.

Take a look at the new style Vaqueros to see if they have what you want.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Power Custom has some parts to help do what you seek.

http://powercustom.com/store/i...info&products_id=133

http://powercustom.com/store/i...info&products_id=136

I have not used them.

For a gun, I'd suggest a New Model convertible in SS with a 4 5/8" barrel if you are carrying and not trying to hunt or seriously target shoot. http://ruger.com/products/newM...specSheets/0310.html

Blued: http://ruger.com/products/newM...specSheets/0308.html

The Vaquero doesn't come in convertible.

I'd do the same, but I'd probably get it in 45 Colt/45 ACP convertible and have Hamilton Bowen tweak it.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You'll need an older three-screw to get all the clicks. With a current free spin pawl installed, no need for half-cock. Opening the loading gate frees the culinder to turn for loading, forward and back.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I think Riley might've nailed it with that second powercustom link.

I think Rolan_Kraps a few months ago was talking about having obtained a matching pair of Blackhawks that had already had that kit installed?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Super Blackhawk in 454, bisley model with a 6.5" barrel.

Its a cannon, at the time I couldnt justify the cost of a Freedom Arms but Im happy with it none the less.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
... at the time I couldnt justify the cost of a Freedom Arms but Im happy with it none the less.

I don't see myself spending +$2k for a revolver, or any handgun, at any time.

Thanks for the feedback, gents. I think I know what I'm looking for.

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Ruger Blackhawk is what you seek.

I have a pair of Ruger Blackhawks that I've shot in completion for over 10 years. they have been tuned but still retain the transfer bar. As a result, they may be carried with all 6 chambers loaded.

For Cowboy Action Shooting, I have recently obtained a pair of Bisley Blackhawks in .357 that have been altered by gun smith Johnny Meadows with the half cock modification. This means that the transfer bar has been removed, and the hammer welded up to strike the firing pin when the trigger is pulled.

If you still want the transfer bar (so you may load all 6 chambers) then you need the Free Spin Pawl installed (see below).

http://www.brownells.com/handg...-pawl--prod9862.aspx

The Free Spin pawl is required for Old Model Vaqueros. On New Model, you can just remove a threaded screw to allow the cylinder to spin freely when the loading gate is opened.

Email me with any other questions.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP,

Might I suggest the lipseys limited run of the bisley super Blackhawk in 44 mag with a 3.75 inch barrel?

Extremely packable, has the transfer bar so safe to carry 6 down, and beefy enough to shoot the hottest of 44 mag loads, including buffalo bore's 330gr +p+ hard cast.

-Freq

Posts: 192 | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I've owned a whole bunch of 44's and 45's over the years, including a couple of S&W 25-5s. By far, my favorite one to shoot is my original 45 Birdshead Vaquero. I think there are some New Vaqueros in 45 ACP floating around out there.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freq18Hz:
OP,

Might I suggest the lipseys limited run of the bisley super Blackhawk in 44 mag with a 3.75 inch barrel?

You may, and I appreciate the suggestion, but, I wish to stick with .357 Mag because I already stock it for my Ruger Security Six and don't wish to stock Yet Another Caliber Smile

'Course I stayed away from the .45 ACP for years for that same reason--until I didn't. So who knows?

posted Hide Post
The New Model is superior to an Old Model with transfer bar conversion.

I would get the Lipsey's Flattop.
It is on the mid-frame of the New Vaquero but with adjustable sights. It has detented cylinder rotation so chambers line up with the ejector.

I don't have any sentimental attraction to the number of clicks in the action, I just want it to go Bang!

http://ruger.com/products/newM...specSheets/5247.html

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freq18Hz:
OP,

Extremely packable, has the transfer bar so safe to carry 6 down, and beefy enough to shoot the hottest of 44 mag loads, including buffalo bore's 330gr +p+ hard cast.

-Freq

I have one. I couldn't resist after handling it the first time. I don't push the hottest ammunition that I can through any of my pistols, including stout rugers, but I'm sure it's capable of handling high pressures.

I originally put one on layaway at sportsman's warehouse, along with a birdshead vaquero in .45, but I found them both for nearly a hundred less at the time at buds guns online...plus no tax. Pretty good deal.

Giving some thought at the moment to the new GP100 in .44, and getting set to order a redhawk 4" in .41 magnum.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm revising my thinking.

I'm now thinking 45LC/45ACP, after all. I'm already stocking .45 ACP, anyway. And I even have the reloading stuff for it, which I do not, for .357 Mag.

I'm thinking maybe a Libsey stainless steel flattop Blackhawk.

Question, though: 4-5/8" or 5-1/2" barrel?

I haven't had my Single Six out for a while, but, I'm thinking it's barrel is longer than 4-5/8". Could just be my memory playing tricks on me again, though Smile

posted Hide Post
Vaquero, New Vaquero, Blackhawk, New Blackhawk; any of those will work, though all the clicks relate to old three-screw revolvers.

I really like the birdshead grip.

.45LC is a great cartridge if you reload. It's fairly weak if you don't.

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I'm revising my thinking.

I'm now thinking 45LC/45ACP, after all. I'm already stocking .45 ACP, anyway. And I even have the reloading stuff for it, which I do not, for .357 Mag.

I'm thinking maybe a Libsey stainless steel flattop Blackhawk.

Question, though: 4-5/8" or 5-1/2" barrel?

I haven't had my Single Six out for a while, but, I'm thinking it's barrel is longer than 4-5/8". Could just be my memory playing tricks on me again, though Smile

4 5/8" is rare for the Single Six (unless it is blued). So it is probably a 5½". BUT, personally, I prefer the 4 5/8"

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
While I own and have owned Old models, I like the new models better. In part because the XR3 or XR3-Red grips just don't fit me. But I love the Bisleys.

While the all loud Colt like clicks are cool, to me it's sort of like a loud muffler. At some point the novelty wears off and it's just noise. That's my only complaint about my Freedom Arms 83, it sounds cool, but out in the woods that action cocking is as quiet and out of place as an alarm clock going off.

Posts: 21098 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post