SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Running a P239 .40/.357 in 9mm with a factory barrel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Running a P239 .40/.357 in 9mm with a factory barrel Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone had problems running a 9mm barrel in a P239 .40/.357? I know lots of people have posted about doing this successfully but I’m wondering if anyone has tried and failed. Mine has been flawless and now that Sig appears to be discontinuing the model I’m thinking about picking up a backup. I guess my question would be, do they all work or is there a chance I could get one that can’t do the swap?

Posts: 60 | Registered: November 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being retired, I have the luxury of following the Sig Forum daily. I have never seen a post with an unsuccessful "conversion" using the Sig OEM 9mm barrel in a P239.40/.357. Doesn't mean one could have slipped through though. Or the guy that had a problem didn't post here.

Anything is possible with machined mechanical products, given a long shot min-max dimensional issue. Heck, some quality, new pistols can have reliability problems for the same reason. Highly unlikely though. Mine worked like a charm.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
As long as you realize that changing a pistol that started out as a .357 Sig or .40 to 9mm only requires a barrel and recoil spring you're alright, but you can't change a P239 that started out as a 9mm to one of the others. The P239 slide for 9mm pistols is lighter weight than the slide found on the .357/.40 caliber version. Other than that caveat, you should be good to go!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10193 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I have a .40 with all the barrels and something north of 2000 rds of 9mm through it. It's been flawless. There are some pretty good deals on these right now and I'm thinking of buying a second pistol as a backup. Before I spend new money I'd like to hear if anyone has had trouble doing this. Or I may just buy used again and hope for the best.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I would think that this answer from Nipper should suffice.
quote:
I have never seen a post with an unsuccessful "conversion" using the Sig OEM 9mm barrel in a P239.40/.357.

This topic comes up now and then but I (we) are not aware of any responses w/ problems.
Another possible authority on this is GaryBF? and maybe he'll be along to say the same thing.

If you don't mind my asking, where are you planning on getting the barrel? Or are you going to swap the one between the two?

Posts: 7348 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
I would think that this answer from Nipper should suffice.
quote:
I have never seen a post with an unsuccessful "conversion" using the Sig OEM 9mm barrel in a P239.40/.357.

This topic comes up now and then but I (we) are not aware of any responses w/ problems.
Another possible authority on this is GaryBF? and maybe he'll be along to say the same thing.

If you don't mind my asking, where are you planning on getting the barrel? Or are you going to swap the one between the two?

I appreciate all of the responses, including Nippers. Perhaps others will comment as well.

I've followed these threads as well and don't remember seeing anyone fail either. Just thought I would ask.

As for barrels, Sig is currently listing P239 9mm barrels for sale directly.

Threaded barrels are still available from a couple of sources and I could probably live with just that.

I’ve read one post on another forum that said the P225a1 barrel is the same part number from Sig as the P239 9mm barrel. May or may not be true but there’s hope.

I’ve bought used barrels off of the For Sale section of this sight in the past with good results.

Gunparts Corp is listing used P239 barrels as in stock.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Thanks Battlecloth,
Last time I checked I could not find them on the Sig site. Now I'm seeing them.
Gives me more options as I've been thinking hard about this since the P239 being discontinued.

Posts: 7348 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jonny Quest
posted Hide Post
My daily carry weapon is a P239 chambered in .357 SIG. I purchased both the 9mm barrel and .40 S&W barrel. In the 9mm, I ran several hundred rounds through with no reliability issues, put the point-of-impact changed a about 3" at 25 feet. The .40 & .357 barrels shoot the same.

Then the bug hit me and I sold the 9mm barrel for some reason. Now I just have the .357 & .40 barrels. Can't say that I miss the 9mm...

JQ

Johnny Quest - P220ST
Dr. Benton Quest - P239
Race Bannon - P226
Hadji Singh - P225
Bandit - P232 (poodle-shooter)

Posts: 129 | Location: Western U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post