SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I need help, please!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need help, please! Login/Join 
Picture of Slugo
posted
I am between either the Sig-P229 and the 226 both in 9mm. Back a few years ago I owned a new Sig-P229 in 40 cal. I was undoubtedly one of the most accurate handguns I ever owned. But, it felt very chunky in my hand. Need some advice from some of the experts here. Thanks...

Posts: 59 | Registered: June 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
The 226 will be the same kind of chunky, and about 3/4 of an inch longer.

There are slimmer grips available; I think the Hogue G10 is available slimmer than the stock grips, and I also believe that the Sig aluminum grips are slimmer as well.

I have a 228 and a 229 and have never seen the need to have a 226 as the slightly longer barrel seems more of an inconvenience to me than a need, as I am not a police officer carrying an OWB duty gun, don't compete in pistol games and generally use my guns for carry.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
What is it you want to know? the 9mm P229 will be very similar to the .40 you had and of course the p226 is even larger. You can get thinner grips for both the p229 and p226, (hogue G10s) and if you have smaller hands perhaps a short reach trigger.

Both are great guns. For concealed carry, the P229 is a bit easier to conceal.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
P229 with G10.
And, if you still feel it's chunky, then get the P225 or P225-A1.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with those above, if the 229 felt too chunky the 226 will be even worse. I had a 226 in .40 and ended up selling it because I much preferred the 229 and 228, which both felt much better to me.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Slugo
posted Hide Post
It wasn't the grip, more the thickness of the 40 cal slide. Anyway, I've decided on the new 229. thanks guys!

Posts: 59 | Registered: June 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slugo:
It wasn't the grip, more the thickness of the 40 cal slide...

Yeah, but "it felt very chunky in my hand" led all of us to think you were talking about the grip. Wink

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Both!

They do have a layaway plan right?

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post