SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    In search of the perfect carry gun!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In search of the perfect carry gun! Login/Join 
Picture of dc54
posted
How many of you are doing this? How many have found it and what is it? If you’ve found it, how many does this make for you? I keep looking, and think I have found it several times. Currently it’s my P320 XCarry, but I’m looking to maximize the grip module. Once I do that, the search will be over. For now!

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Desert Eagle! (kidding) Okay, so I do carry one in a shoulder holster when in the deep woods. Never had to use one and hope I never will. Not because I think I'll need half inch bullets or anything, just that it is the first gun I get to when walking out the door. The other one is on the nightstand.

As far as going to town concealed, I usually have a P238 HD in the summer or a 1911 in 10mm when it is colder and printing is not too obvious.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gen 5 Glock 19. Never thought I'd be saying that. but I am. It disappears with a good holster.

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can honestly say is not one handgun for every day, depending on weather and the type of clothing is the handgun that I carry. This summer most of the time I carry my Shield 9mm but sometimes when I know that I will be in a so so area I carry my G17, I found that with good gear I could carry a full size gun most of the time otherwise I can pocket carry my Shield if needed.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
99% of the time it’s a Glock 19 for me. The other 1% its a .22mag NAA revolver.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
There is not search or quest --> It's a G19 for me and all the ammo spent in fruitless searches has made me a pretty good shot with it.

The G19 covers 95% of my needs, with the remaining 5% being a J-frame or LCP for ultra concealed needs.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
G19, for me it’s gen 4 but it could also be gen 3 or 5. I carry it 11 degree to 100 outside temp. Right holster goes a long way

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Kahr CM9 for pants or CW380 for shorts, both with a kydex trigger guard only holster and lanyard looped through belt. Tucked in at 4 o'clock it's invisible even on my small frame. Yeah the CM9 only holds 7 but that's good enough for me. NOTHING I've tried is as small and slim which is important since I'm only 5'2 and bulges show. Both pistols are reliable and accurate, and most importantly small, thin, and lightweight compared to almost everything else.

Perfection is what I can stick into my waistband day after day regardless of what clothing I wear, and these two fit the bill for me. Everything else makes me think about whether it's too thick, heavy, etc. Sure more capacity might be nice, but at my size, even something like the Sig p365 is bigger, thicker, and heavier, even if just a little and that little bit is too much.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I've been searching for my perfect carry gun since the early 80's. About every 4-5 years, I found what I thought was the best carry pistol, at that time, for me.

I've been through a S&W mod.36, Colt Det. Spl., P228, P230SL, P239, P224, P320SC, P290RS and currently the P365.

The P365 with a Hogue Handall jr. grip sleeve and the 12 round mag is the right size and feeling in my hand. The 12 rounds rival a larger capacity pistol. The trigger feel and reach is equal to or better than any other pistol I have used. I shoot it at least as well as any of my previous choices, during qualification. Using a good defense round and carrying two extra 12 round mags, I feel as well armed as I can be, without carrying my 10mm.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I did, for decades. Smile

Then I found the S&W 4513TSW. For the last 10 years it has been my primary carry gun. Only sharing a holster with the CS45 and CS9 during unbearably hot weather made a smaller lighter gun a necessity.

And I am moving on to the "ultimate" 4513. A Performance Center Shorty 45. That will be going in my holster as soon as the new Novak sights are installed and it comes back from the smith. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
I haven't settled on one.
Been through a few, but currently cycle through three.
Ruger LCP .380 in pocket holster
Sig P938 9mm in PJ Holster
S&W Shield .45 in Tulster holster

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Started out with a SIG P239 IWB.
Eventually tried a P229 IWB.
Then a P7M8 for a bit.
Then determined I just don’t like IWB.
Went Jframe pocket Carry for a number of years.
Then I found OWB holsters that worked really well for me.
Went Glock 19 for a bit.
Decided after my child came along I wanted to go back to DA/SA.

Today and really for the last 7-8 years I have settled on and don’t see me changing any time soon the HK P2000 for my carry and house guns. They are my perfect hammer fired Glock 19/23.

So basically 95% of the time an HK P2000 with a very occasional P2000sk.

My only striker fired carry is a Walther PPS when I need a super discreet option.
I still will pocket carry a Jframe but very rarely these days.

All in all if I could only have a single do it all pistol it would be an HK P2000 in either 9mm or .40. It just works for me perfectly for me.

All that being said the Glock 19 is damn near the perfect do all gun. Love it or hate it it’s about as Goldilocks as it gets.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P30sk, hides very easy, shoots like a full sized pistol and it’s the most ergonomic handgun I’ve met

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
For a striker - M&P 2.0 compact
For a DA/SA - PX4 Compact

I prefer a DA/SA gun.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When young and low on funds, it might the only gun you own as the perfect carry gun. Later as your options and funds increase, a stable of guns allow for more choice and a realization that there is no ‘perfect’ carry gun. It’s so much more than a one and done perfect gun.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I love these threads because they show how personal firearms are.

People magazine race cars and guns. The Glock 19 is the defacto go to Gun and it is a damn good choice. That being said we have choices across the board and they are all fantastic.

3rd gen Smith’s, PX4s, HKs, some itty bitty Kahrs etc. etc. not a bad choice in the bunch but all somewhat out of the ordinary in a striker fired Glock world. Makes me happy to see folks carrying such a variety.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I bought a new Gen 2 Glock in the early 90s and when Illinois passed CCW legislation 3 years ago I started CCW it and still do. I also bought the original Walther PPS 9MM a few years ago for when I want maximum CCW comfort and have been thrilled with it also. I have absolutely no desire in replacing either.

Posts: 9746 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
G19RTF2

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if there's a perfect carry gun but there's such a thing as a perfect carry holster and belt. That would make the gun perfect for carry.

Posts: 13104 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrutro
posted Hide Post
Just today I shot an HK VP9SK and a Sig P320 (with a subcompact frame and a compact slide) head to head to settle on my final (read latest) carry gun.
I planed to write a long review/comparison in the next few days, but the VP9 was the winner for me. I need another couple hundred rounds through it before I'll be completely comfortable with it, but I feel like I'm finally done searching.

Posts: 894 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: April 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post