SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 9mm Legion -- longetivity tidbit
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 9mm Legion -- longetivity tidbit Login/Join 
Picture of Tengoo
posted
Today I was at my club and noticed a p226 Legion in the rental gun case. 'Wow', I said...'How's it holding up?'. Range officer told me that it had about 100,000 rounds through it [that's a HUNDRED THOUSAND ROUNDS] with only casual field-strip cleaning and a couple of recoil spring changes. No issues besides one of the grip medallions falling off.

He also mentioned that he put some thousands of rounds through his personal Legion with no problems whatever, except that the finish was wearing a lot, and he was looking at Ceracoating.

FYI...

Posts: 103 | Location: Just east of the Canadian Rockies | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
100,000 rounds and only a couple recoil springs?

Sounds like they're keeping it well maintained. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yeah, sounds like another LGS BS story.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's possible, I know the gun ranges around here never clean the guns. They wipe off the soot on the outside and put a few drops or sprays of clp or oil on them and stick them right back on the rack.

If they rent a $800 gun out at $20 a time (plus the ammo profit) in 40 rentals the gun is paid for...….I'm sure even a neglected gun could be rented 2-4,000 times before it's worn out...….versus paying someone $15 an hour to clean every gun on the rack and also having out of service while it's being cleaned.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's assume they got the rental Legion right when they came out in October 2015. So in 3.25 years, to hit 100K rounds, they'd have to have almost 600 rounds per week through it. That's like 85 rounds per day, every day. I seriously doubt the gun was rented out that often, and definitely not for that round count.

So like Denis Leary said in The Ref, your LGS counter guy is a "capital L, small i, small a, small r, period."

Now, would I believe that a P226 could go for 100,000 without exploding? Sure. And the Legion isn't anything significantly different (construction/material-wise) than any other P226, so I'm sure a Legion could. But I would expect spring maintenance being needed and the barrel wouldn't have sharp rifling anymore.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tengoo
posted Hide Post
Interesting analysis...I'll check into this more...

Posts: 103 | Location: Just east of the Canadian Rockies | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
Let's assume they got the rental Legion right when they came out in October 2015. So in 3.25 years, to hit 100K rounds, they'd have to have almost 600 rounds per week through it. That's like 85 rounds per day, every day. I seriously doubt the gun was rented out that often, and definitely not for that round count.

So like Denis Leary said in The Ref, your LGS counter guy is a "capital L, small i, small a, small r, period."

Now, would I believe that a P226 could go for 100,000 without exploding? Sure. And the Legion isn't anything significantly different (construction/material-wise) than any other P226, so I'm sure a Legion could. But I would expect spring maintenance being needed and the barrel wouldn't have sharp rifling anymore.

At a popular range with a popular gun, getting to a 100K round count is entirely plausible. Especially if the range charges a flat rental fee and allows one to shoot as many of the guns as you want, just as long as one buys their ammo of course (where the money is really made). A new, popular pistol like the Legions were could very easily see 600 rounds through it in a day, let alone taking an entire week. Getting to 100K would be achievable in about six months at that rate. Of course the gun's popularity would cool over time but a half a year of buzz and chatter is hardly anything in the gun world.

As for the 'maintained only a couple of times' claim; someone needs to ask that counter guy if he knows what "couple" means. One might be surprised as to how many people consider 'couple' a colloquialism for some quantity and not a description of an exact quantity. I deal with this sort of stupidity all the time at work.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Things must be different where you are. The two ranges I go to get only a couple rentals per day. And each rental is rarely over 2 boxes of ammo. Most people bring their own to shoot. I'm in the metro Detroit area. The OP is listed at "east of the Canadian Rockies" which just doesn't sound like too populated of an area. There is a range down Woodward that gets a lot more rental action, so if this Legion was being rented in a range in Las Vegas or something, it makes it more feasible.

Anyway, no, it's not impossible for 100K in 3.25 years. But I still think it's very, very unlikely.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tengoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
The OP is listed at "east of the Canadian Rockies" which just doesn't sound like too populated of an area. There is a range down Woodward that gets a lot more rental action, so if this Legion was being rented in a range in Las Vegas or something, it makes it more feasible.

I live in a city of slightly over 1,000,000 which has 2 [two]serious rental ranges, and one struggling startup. They all do a booming business. If it weren't for government policies and legislation screwing with the gun/range industry here, there would be more.

Picture of mjohn
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BuddyChryst:

SO..........3.25years = 49 weeks /100,000 rounds
= 2,041 rounds per week / 7 days per week = 291 rounds per day /10 operating hours per day = 29 rounds per hour / 60 minutes =.49 rounds per minute.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................

Posts: 1465 | Location: Sandbox City VA | Registered: September 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whether or not that pistol has 100k is debatable. A p226 lasting through 100k certainly is believable as long as you replace the recoil spring.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Ha...ons/4-160140/?page=1

Posts: 11 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a local spot that does flat rate all gun rentals and I've left due to the wait for the range being too long. Constantly busy with people shooting rentals. I could see that round count being a realistic if not approximate number.

My buddy used to work there cleaning guns from the rental cabinet. Said they did a basic field strip wipe down and light lube at the end of the day.

I have a legion 226 and find it to be a very nice example of a 226 which is one of the best handgun models made in my opinion.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I have no doubt a modern P226 could last over 100,000 rounds however if that is true the accuracy would probably be pretty bad to the point of getting complaints with original barrel. Then again seeing most people shooting rentals, they probably could not tell the difference.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Every time I go to one of the local rental ranges, they're doing a hopping business with the rentals, especially on Saturday morning. Not unusual to see the waiting line backed ten or more deep, and people buying a box or two for each renal is entirely normal.

Sounds plausible, at least, in the right location.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1: Then again seeing most people shooting rentals, they probably could not tell the difference.

LMAO !

True, so very true. Big Grin

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tengoo:
Today I was at my club and noticed a p226 Legion in the rental gun case. 'Wow', I said...'How's it holding up?'. Range officer told me that it had about 100,000 rounds through it [that's a HUNDRED THOUSAND ROUNDS] with only casual field-strip cleaning and a couple of recoil spring changes. No issues besides one of the grip medallions falling off.

The changing of the recoil springs "a couple of times" doesn't sound right. The rest of the statement seems plausible, but was probably a sales pitch.

Bill

Posts: 84 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: June 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Having actually worked as an RSO at an extremely busy range in Scottsdale, AZ I can attest that this story is entirely plausible. Whether or not it is factual is another matter. Folks tend to exaggerate round count.

I have seen all manner of guns used until extreme failure and then rebuilt if possible. Glocks, Sigs, Kimbers, Rugers, you name it. Most got the occasional field strip by whatever monkey was just hired. All got doused liberally with oil whenever someone had time. Our MP5s were shot until the barrels were damn near smoothbore, then rebuilt.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjohn:
SO..........3.25years = 49 weeks /100,000 rounds
= 2,041 rounds per week / 7 days per week = 291 rounds per day /10 operating hours per day = 29 rounds per hour / 60 minutes =.49 rounds per minute.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................

Are you sure there are only 49 weeks in 3.25 years?..

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most people I shoot with here shoot 100 rds per trip to the range with handguns. The ranges here in the Houston area with guns for rent have 50-60 models available to rent. The odds that one individual gun would ge that much use seem slim, but who knows - maybe its possible.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mjohn
posted Hide Post
Are you sure there are only 49 weeks in 3.25 years?..[/QUOTE]

RutRoa Oppps Frown . Since I am not able to admit that I made a mistake, it must be that the fault of the calculator I used that did not Make America Great Again.

Thanks for pointing out the error. So now the 100,000 rounds becomes believable from a math point of view.

Posts: 1465 | Location: Sandbox City VA | Registered: September 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post