SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Any source for 22 magnum snap caps?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any source for 22 magnum snap caps? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Please don't tell me to use wall anchors. I'm looking for honest-to-goodness snap caps for 22 magnum. Spent brass works but only for a short time. Looking for a better solution for a 22 magnum revolver.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107243 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para, I think they have some up at Bullseye. I got some a while back. I think they were dark purple.

Dave

Posts: 1153 | Location: Decatur, GA | Registered: November 14, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have the blue a-zoom snap caps. They are metal, not plastic. I found them on amazon in packs of 6.

JPFO Life Member

Posts: 1216 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

Those are not snap caps. They are action proving dummy rounds. You can use them as snap caps a few times but the soft metal deforms with use unlike an actual snap cap that has a soft area to absorb the blow from the firing pin and then return to original form. I’ve tried to use action proving rounds as snap caps and found them virtually worthless.

I’ve searched for true rimfire snap caps in the past and this site kept coming up. http://www.choketube.com/acces...php?Snap-Caps&mf=340

At one point I think he made .22mag snap caps but now he only shows .22lr. I also have never used them so I can’t vouch for the quality but perhaps it’s a starting point.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
From what I see on the webs, these can be safely used as the cartridge diameter is the same...not sure why they are not made in .22 mag, but any port in a storm.
https://www.amazon.com/Carlson...rds=17+hmr+snap+caps

***ETA- after a little more reading, these are not true spring loaded snap caps (even if the page says they are). They will deform over time and need to be replaced.***

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
With the Carlsons they will deform just as easily as spent cases if not more so, requiring spinning the snap cap to best protect the tip of the firing pin. Even then the SC will only be usable for so long before you would run out of "undented" rim to impact. May as well continue to use spent brass at that point; it would be cheaper.

With rimfire there's only so much that can be done, unless someone can come up with either a rebounding or self-healing rim system in such a small travel distance across the thickness of itself. As such anything else that's used is going to be sacrificial in a relatively quick way. That's why wall anchors are so popular with the 22LR crowd. They can actually absorb a few more hits in the same spot before requiring the impromptu "case" be rotated to a fresh impact spot. Pachmayr is about the only brand that offers a true gun-oriented product that performs similarly, but they only make their orange-colored snap caps in 22LR size and not for 22 WMR or 17 HMR.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I thought people used fired cases (or the unmentionable anchors), because there were no truly reusable snap caps.

In other words, the snap caps you can buy are, essentially, like fired cases and not like spring loaded center fire snap caps.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post