SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    First time pistol failure LCP
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First time pistol failure LCP Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
I have had really good luck with pistol purchases. I have never had a failure of any type wih my pistols.

I would say that is around 20,000 rounds shot, not even a stovepipe.

Well, I was shooting LCP for the first time. On the 5th round, the slide flew about 7 yard foreword, rsa is gone, and the main pin flew out. There was a round chambered when I found the slide. Really weird. The pin either broke, or flew out. Can't find it.

Everything that I found looks fine. Would you send it in? Of just get the parts missing and give it another go?

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, when your luck runs out it really runs out. lol

Most likely Ruger is merely going to replace the takedown pin, test fire it, and send it back. I would let them be test pilot though. Plus, maybe there is more to it then a faulty pin. Besides, why should you pay to fix all that?

Send it in.

Posts: 7469 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Is it the new LCP II that this happened with?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Ruger has great C/S and warranty. Yes I'd send it back.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With Ruger, send it back. As said above their CS is excellent and they will make it right without a hassle. Could be a pin could be more, let them handle it.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I was shooting LCP for the first time. On the 5th round, the slide flew about 7 yard foreword, rsa is gone, and the main pin flew out.

Considering the difficulty of removing that pin in the first place, I'd say they left its retention spring out or something. Call Ruger and they will send you a FedEx shipping label. I know this from experience, now having broken two of them.

Posts: 27935 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The spring for the takedown pin can be damaged or misinstalled. If so, the pin easily comes out during firing, in which case he slide can fall off.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I would definitely send that one back in so they can check the rest of the pistol out. You don't know what else might be wrong. Better safe than sorry.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Further Evidence that any handgun that is going to be used for ccp or home defense MUST have at least 100-200 rounds of the planned ammo to be used in that handgun cycled through it to insure 100% functionality.....

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Is it the new LCP II that this happened with?

Gen1

TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Well, I was shooting LCP for the first time. On the 5th round, the slide flew about 7 yard foreword, rsa is gone, and the main pin flew out.

Considering the difficulty of removing that pin in the first place, I'd say they left its retention spring out or something. Call Ruger and they will send you a FedEx shipping label. I know this from experience, now having broken two of them.

Retention spring is still in place.

TCB all the time...

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Contact them. They will likely send you a prepaid FedEx label for you to return it.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3207 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad I reread your post, as 20K through a LCP, would be a remarkable feat!Smile

Ruger will pay shipping, and fix you up, give them a call. They will email you a postage label, I should say they did for me years ago.

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post