SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New P6 - Barrel Q - Followup
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New P6 - Barrel Q - Followup Login/Join 
posted
Greetings SIG Forum - I finally have a deal for a P6 - it's been a long wait... Frown I'm trading my P938 for the one shown below - seller's picture so resolution is only fair. Being pretty anal - I hate the smiley and barrel hood marks that it'll get from me taking it to the range. Does anyone have a good source for a shooter-grade P6 barrel? Also have to admit my ignorance - maybe a 225 barrel will work but I don't know... Thanks!

Nothin' wrong with the 938 - it's just too small for a range pistol and I didn't really need a CCW pistol. Seller had all new springs installed and what I think is a pretty decent Cerakote job...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GeoJelly,

Posts: 431 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I don't see why a P225 barrel wouldn't work-they are the same gun afterall. That said, any part that is not original may have fit issues. The P6 is not exactly a colllectible, so just shoot the darn thing.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
A P225 barrel should work (as long as it's an original P225 barrel...I doubt a P225A1 barrel would)...but why worry about some wear? It's a P6...not to mention it looks as if it's already been refinished, meaning there's no collector value.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
If it's a range gun I'm having a really hard time understanding the part about being anal regarding barrel finish. The only reason I would replace a P6 barrel would be to ensure it feeds hollow points on the off chance you got one with the old style feed ramp. If you're just shooting FMJ's at the range, I'd just shoot the ever living crap out of it. JMHO.

Seriously? Spend $100-200 to replace the barrel on a P6, which by definition is of unknown provenance? Not me sir, no way...

Edit:
Also, even if a P225A1 barrel would fit, which I very much doubt, good luck finding one of those, they aren't exactly common out in the wild. SIG doesn't even list it on their website.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stoic-one,

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know why you wouldn't just shoot it either. That said, you can get a stainless barrel here: http://www.efkfiredragon.com/sig-sauer-p225-9mm2.html

I have one and am very happy with it. I bought a P6 as a converted to Simunition trainer, so it didn't come with a live barrel.

Showing out of stock, check back often, they'll do another run eventually. I think I may have called or emailed and not got a response. When it was in stock, they shipped fast.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank-you for the constructive comments, Gents. I know this barrel-smiley thing doesn't make sense to most. I like to have my cake - and eat it too as far as range-vs-defense barrels. I'm guessing most SF members have as many handguns as they can afford. I don't have many at all - and I use swap-barrels for my shooter 9mm's - G19, SW 6906, G26 and G43. Couple of the barrels I paid just $50 for; 6906 and G26. G19 was $75 on a swap site. Barrel on my CZ P-01 shows little wear despite the round-count so it's a one-sy. This'll be my first SIG that I can run as much thru it as I want - I fired the 938 very little. EFK barrel it is ... when I can get one.

Posts: 431 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A blue Birchwood Casey touch-up pen and some grease will solve the cosmetic issue with smilies.

As far as feeding any HP ammo, you are right around the time frame that they were manufactured with barrels modified to feed HP. I don't know the exact date on that.

Your P-01 barrel isn't in the white?

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The more smilies the better!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will say, with the difficulty of obtaining any barrel for the old P225/P6's (factory or otherwise), ordering another when they are available isn't a bad play smiley concerns notwithstanding.

I searched everywhere for 6 months, nothing.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So - the guy finally had the guts to back out on the trade. It was an unfavorable trade anyways - as several of you pointed out. He wanted my cherry 938 + $100. So, Thanks to Quantico Tac I have decided to get one of the new P225 A1's. With LE/Mil discount I can get a brand new pistol for another $150 over what the P6 would have cost me. That said - the new one will come with plastic grips. SIG doesn't sell these online - does anyone know where I can get a pair ... Wink ... pun intended!!

Edited to add: OK, I did listen to advice and comments here. The $150 more for the 225 A1 is the same $150 I woulda paid for a repl barrel...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GeoJelly,

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
SIG OEM wood for the A1, hmmm, have you tried calling customer service? That would be my first attempt... Then maybe a WTB in the classified section here for some take-offs.

Aftermarket perhaps? The only aftermarket grips I'm aware of for the A1 are made by Hogue, which AT THIS TIME only lists G10's, which are pretty damn nice actually:
https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/sigsauer/p225-a1

They will probably make some wood grips down the line depending on demand. I only mention Hogue because the wood grips in your original picture look to be perhaps made by them.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Well at least you got out of a deal that made you uncomfortable. But you're right; I don't get the whole smiley thing. As soon as you shoot the gun with ANY barrel in it, it's going to create wear on the gun in other places. The barrel and its smileys in the big scheme of things are a trivial pittance.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post