SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Polymer Durability
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Polymer Durability Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I know of several guys still running around with Gen 1 glocks as their daily carry. It's not going to wear out.

Here’s another. I believe mine to be a police trade in, made in 1986, first year of import to the US. Looks like it was carried a ton, and never once cleaned. No idea how many rounds through it. Every crevice in it was absolutely packed with lint and fouling. I put a new RSA in it just because, and it hasn’t given me a single problem either before or since. I don’t see any signs that it will, either.

I hear you. There are numerous reports of glocks going well over 100k in general life use. Supposedly Chuck Talor's G19 had over 270k. That is a hell of a feat. Much of that i think is proper maintenance, cleaning and care. What is left I think can be split between over-engineering and a polymer frame. They just seem to last a bit longer. I am not saying every Glock or poly framed gun will. I have seen a few fail and die, glock steps up and fixes them. As would most manufacturers. I am saying that if you want a gun that is going to be around at 50k, 100k, 150k you have a much higher chance with a well-known polymer make than with a aluminum, stainless or even in some cases steel gun. Annecdotally, i see, read, hear about more poly guns making it to the high round count stratosphere than the others. I have seen USP's fail, break, or both. I have seen MNP's. Yet when i look at my USP 40, and 45 both of which are now over 20 years old. I am amazed at how functional they are. Yeah, my 80's 226 and 90's 228's are nice also. Neither of them have the round counts comparable to my USP 40.
Gen 1 Glocks, Gen 2 glocks are very long in the tooth now. If they had been a military arm they would have been rearsenaled how many times? Yet they chug along and keep spewing out the rounds.

Another case in point. I bought one of the first gen Caniks brought in. Single action. I am not a stiker fired gun fan. Every striker gun i shoot tends to be 8 inches low. Glock, mnp, sig, fn and hk. I like my hammer fired guns. The canik was cheap enough i thought i would give it a go. I had 2k of tula 9mm sitting on the porch the day i brought it home. Over the next 4 months I ran 2k of tula, 400 of ppu 9mm through it. I never oiled it or cleaned it. I am fastidousl about detail stripping new to me guns. I clean, grease oil, everything. I just busted this canik out of the box and spent 4 months beating the shit out of it ammo wise. It ate every last round of that 2400 rounds of goey crap. NOT ONE FAILURE I posted about it here a few times. I sold it to fund our kubota tractor. I cleaned it at 2400 rounds. It was easy, no excessive wear, no worn parts, no sticky areas. Just a quick blast of air, some swabbing, dental pics and oiling and t was like new. When i cleaned it, it looked like the dan wesson pm7 above. Filthy, goey, and dirty mess. Yet it was a quick clean and it looked damn near new.

I was honestly expecting the tula to do a fair bit more wear on the gun than it did. If i want another tractor gun besides this ruger p85, I will buy a canik and cange the sights.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post