SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Polymer Durability
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Polymer Durability Login/Join 
Family Man
posted
I participated in my first class this weekend with my HK P30. I really enjoyed myself, and my equipment worked as it should. I learned a lot and look forward to practicing the skills I learned.

Once I got home, I realized how my "safe queen" handgun was no longer pristine, but had some wear on the slide from lots of draws and reholstering. I figured this would be the case.

What I didn't anticipate was how much my magazine well would get chewed up along the edges. A trip through an obstacle course before entering a shoot house was certainly the cause of some of it. (There was not a magazine in the gun, so the corners of the magazine well on the right hand side are worn down.)

I shouldn't be surprised that many magazine changes would cause wear on the edges, but I've never given it much thought.

Have you guys noticed this with your polymer framed handguns?

Don't get me wrong, there is a bit of pride in having my P30 worn a bit during training. It's just a consequence of training.

Two other observations:

1. I'm now a believer in the paddle release on the H&K P30. I could drop the magazine with my trigger finger and not adjust my grip.

2. After watching a few really good shooters with them, I want a Glock.

Posts: 987 | Registered: December 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 50 k through my usp 40. I know of several guys still running around with Gen 1 glocks as their daily carry. It's not going to wear out.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett257:

2. After watching a few really good shooters with them, I want a Glock.

Get the best of both worlds and get a VP9. Same grip. Same mag release....same mag. Dedicate enough time to any handgun and it won't matter what brand it is.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
Polymer, aluminum, or steel, all magwells get chewed up. I shot a Glock 34 in matches for years and showed it to someone who was getting interested in matches and training and he couldn't believe the finish had worn off the slide to the point where it was silver. He had never seen a gun like that.

Posts: 4078 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grouse its posts like yours (50K thru your USP)that make me think i need my head examined for buying 2 of the same models.I have 2 USP 9C's, 2 Glock 19x's, 2 Walther PPQ's etc..
It makes no sense. I shoot a lot, but i would have to live two life times to shoot these guns out.
To the original post, I wont say i kill guns with hard use, but I have thousands and thousands of rounds collectively thru these pistols, and see no real signs of wear.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I have 50 k through my usp 40. I know of several guys still running around with Gen 1 glocks as their daily carry. It's not going to wear out.

50k and 40S&W.... Eek

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought as my duty gun in 1995, carried it for 2 years as a duty gun. Which is where the first 10 came from.
After that i carried concealed for 8 years. Over thos 10 years it works out to about 100 rounds a week. At 50k i stopped counting, which was 2008/2009, it seemed to have proven its reliability. I have put about 1k through it since 2008/9. After it i carried a fn 5.7 till first part of 2011, after that dan wesson guardian for a year or so. Now i swap back and forth weekly if not daily between a dozen pistols.

I used to have a photo comparison of my 95/6 usp40, grey box usp 45, and 2016 usp 9 tac. With all the parts apart. When my 2013 mk23 gets here i will do another one for you all.

There have been plenty of glocks with 5 times that number of rounds.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought as my duty gun in 1995, carried it for 2 years as a duty gun. Which is where the first 10 came from.
After that i carried concealed for 8 years. Over thos 10 years it works out to about 100 rounds a week. At 50k i stopped counting, which was 2008/2009, it seemed to have proven its reliability. I have put about 1k through it since 2008/9. After it i carried a fn 5.7 till first part of 2011, after that dan wesson guardian for a year or so. Now i swap back and forth weekly if not daily between a dozen pistols.

I used to have a photo comparison of my 95/6 usp40, grey box usp 45, and 2016 usp 9 tac. With all the parts apart. When my 2013 mk23 gets here i will do another one for you all.

There have been plenty of glocks with 5 times that number of rounds.

Im not doubting it, just surprises me that it was 40S&W. I assume there were regular spring changes?

posted Hide Post
Nope, not one. I have had very few failures. 3 were from a bad batch of reloads i bought at a gunshow in oregon about 98/99. 1 lodged in the very end of the barrel, i tapped it out with a dowl. Two under powered loads that short stroked the slide. Bullet and case ejected , just not chambering a round.

The last set of failures was to prove a point on seattle guns.net back in 2008/9/10. I had a local guy load up 1500 rounds of 180 grain truncated cone lead bullets with alox. I shot the usp from clean till about 1100 rounds till i had chambering issues. I had 3 or 4 in the last mag i had to tap the slide to go into full battery. The alox had built up on the ramp and just slowed it enough to keep the slide from fully closing by maybe a 16th. Light pressure and the gun was ready to go. I had been challenged that 1 the hk could not fire lead with out going boom, and two that lead ammo would gum up the gun so it would not function with ins some stupid number like 50 rounds.

I knew it would. I bought 250 rounds every two weeks from the day i got the gun for 2 years. I bought them from a little reloader in white city oregon. 200 were 180grn lead bullets, 50 were fmj jacketed. I would shoot the 200, finish with the fifty. Brush the gun with a tooth brush and reoil.

One thing often forgotten is that the hk usp was the first pistol designed as a 40sw. The 40 was the original design, 9mm came later. 45 and 357sig after that. It was for all intense and purposes over built for what it really needed. Most guns at that time were 9mm adjusted with new mags, breach face, recoil spring and barrels. This was not how the USP was designed. It was 40sw from the get go. After i left the police department i swapped from 180 grn hydra shocks to 135 grain corbon +p+. It ate a steady diet of 200 of those in about 2000, when they were getting long in the tooth. I went back to the hydra shoks after that

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
In summary, if you have the coin to shoot a brand name polymer pistol (or any pistol, for that matter), to failure you have spent multiple times what the pistol is worth in ammuntion - or you have gotten the ammuntion for free from work.

Either way, pistols are consumables at some point - but a point few of us will reach.

Its still prudent to have a spare - be it identical or just a backup. Because things can and will break - maybe not to you personally, but all mechanical things can and will fail.

Thanks for the example of the USP40 DSgrouse. Impressive feat!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
In summary, if you have the coin to shoot a brand name polymer pistol (or any pistol, for that matter), to failure you have spent multiple times what the pistol is worth in ammuntion - or you have gotten the ammuntion for free from work.

Either way, pistols are consumables at some point - but a point few of us will reach.

Its still prudent to have a spare - be it identical or just a backup. Because things can and will break - maybe not to you personally, but all mechanical things can and will fail.

Thanks for the example of the USP40 DSgrouse. Impressive feat!

The only modern pistol series from a major name that I don't think would live up to the standard is the Sigma series by smith and wesson from the mid 1990's. Other than that i can think of a quality polymer gun that would stand a good chance of out lasting its owners.

I went through my 6tb of photos, and found my old pictures of the tests i did with lead ammo. I had done 1k, in my 9mm Dan Wesson guardian, 1200 in my USP 40, 1100 in my Dan Wesson PM7.

I had 1200 45 rounds, 1200 40,but only 1k 9mm. Here are the photos.
The ammo used

The guardian lasted all 1k with out any failures.
The USP40 had the failures I listed above some where around 1100 rounds.
The Dan Wesson Pm-7 had failures over 1k, but under 1100 iirc.

DW Guardian

DWG all clean

HK USP40 shooting 180grn lead after 1100ish rounds

Dan Wesson PM7

DWPM7 all clean

I appologize for the large photos, I don't have an easy way to down size them. WHy are there so few of the HKUSP well, it has far less parts than a 1911, it also expels gass more effiently than a 1911. It was a lot les dirty. The only thing that was any kind of hang up was the debris/alox on the ramp. the lead bullets had just enough hang up to keep it out of battery.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Any idea on how many rounds it will go without failure running FMJ? Sorry for all the questions, not everyday I run across a reliable source who has 50k of .40 through a gun....with no spring changes or breakages.

Id argue that a lot of .40 guns wouldnt run 50k without issues. Just my opinon. Im not even close with any gun I have. My highest would be a Sig 226ST in 9mm that im pushing close to 20k on. It pretty much retired these days.

posted Hide Post
I can not say for certain that is something I never tested for.

IIRC the USP 40 was HK's original idea for the SOCOM contract. They tested the gun in house for 10,000 rounds. It past repeatedly. I am not sure if that was with any intermittent lube. When the process for the SOCOM contract started. The Military had laid out a separate set of requirements which brought about the mk23 which had to pass 30k tests.

From wiki
quote:
Design work on a new family of pistols commenced in September 1989 focused primarily on the United States commercial and law enforcement markets. USP prototypes participated in rigorous testing alongside H&K's entry in the Offensive Handgun Weapon System (OHWS) program requested by the U.S. Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) and which would later result in the Mk 23 Mod 0.[3] The USP prototypes were then refined in 1992, based on input from the OHWS trials, and the design was finalized in December of the same year. The USP was formally introduced in January 1993[3] with the USP40 model (the base version) chambered for the increasingly popular .40 S&W cartridge, followed soon by the USP9 (using the 9×19mm Parabellum cartridge), and in May 1995—the USP45 (caliber .45 ACP).[3] In contrast to the ambitious and innovative P7, P9S, and VP70Z designs, the USP uses a more conventional Browning-style cam-locked action, similar to that used in the Hi-Power - but with a polymer frame.[3][4][5]

The test I did above was not meant to be a test till failure. I was just proving that modern guns have 0 issue shooting lead. That modern polymer guns, and polygonal bores were capable of shooting lead just fine. That Shooting 50-100 rounds of lead is not going to gum up your carry gun to the point of failure. The wanker who challenged me on the polygonal rifling being able to shoot lead said it would blow up in short order. Every bit of reasearch i did lead back to a specific powder beign the cause of the glocks and 1 hk blowing. 3 of the failures were reloads, one was factory powdered, one was rumored to have the same powder used. Accurate number 5. It spiked pressures just enough that the guns went kablewie. FWIW only one of those rounds was lead. That is all that I could find in the research. The glock failurs were from the early to mid 1990's that lead glock to add the stipulation no lead bullets, which changed the narrative I think.

This is directly from WIKI (rolls eyes take it with a grain of salt)
quote:
One of the most significant features of the USP is the mechanical recoil reduction system. This system is incorporated into the recoil spring assembly, located below the barrel and consists of a heavy, captive coil spring around the guide rod. Designed primarily to buffer the slide and barrel and reduce recoil effects on the pistol components, the system also lowers the recoil forces felt by the shooter up to 30%[citation needed]. The USP recoil reduction system is insensitive to ammunition types and does not require adjustment or maintenance. It functions effectively in all USP models.[6] Using this same recoil reduction system, one of the related H&K Mk 23 .45 ACP pistols fired more than 30,000 high pressure +P cartridges and 6,000 proof loads without damage or excessive wear to any major components. Abuse and function-testing of USPs have seen more than 20,000 rounds of .40 S&W fired without a component failure. Milspec environmental tests were conducted in high and low temperatures, in mud, immersed in water and in salt spray. In one particular test, a bullet was deliberately lodged in the barrel and another bullet was fired to clear the obstruction. The barrel was successfully cleared with only minor structural deformation and continued to produce consistent groups when test fired for accuracy.[7]

Testing
As the USP was developed at the same time as the SOCOM MK23, the pistol underwent much of the same rigorous testing. The barrel is cold-forged from chromium steel for increased life. USP barrels post-1994 use a polygonal profile, whereas 1994 and earlier models utilize traditional 'land and grooves' rifling. During testing, a bullet was deliberately lodged in a USP barrel. Another cartridge was then fired into the obstructing bullet. The second bullet cleared the barrel, resulting in a barely noticeable bulge. The pistol was then fired for accuracy and the resulting group measured less than 4 inches at 25 meters.[16]

Temperature testing required the USP be frozen to −42 °C and fired, frozen again, and then be heated up to 67 °C and fired. These temperature tests were continually repeated with no adverse effects on the USP.[16]

The gun was also subjected to NATO MIL-SPEC mud and rain tests, which were passed without difficulty. Water immersion and salt spray also presented no problems. German Navy combat divers have used the USP for two years without any signs of corrosion.

Safety testing exceeded the ANSI/SAAMI requirements adopted in May 1990. These included dropping a USP with a primed cartridge and decocked hammer on a variety of hard surfaces without discharging. The USP surpassed these commercial requirements, as well as German Army and police tests, including repeated drop tests from six feet (1.8 m), hammer first, onto a steel backed concrete slab. Proof round firing resulted in no cracks, deformations, or increase in head space. Attempts to fire the USP pistol with an unlocked breech proved unsuccessful.

Testing with a variety of ammunition proved the USP meets these high standards. During the USP testing phase, it was shown the recoil-reduction system reduces the force on the USP grip to approximately 300 newtons (67 pounds-force). Peak force shock on competing .40 caliber polymer and metal framed pistols was around 5,000 newtons (1,100 pounds-force). The primary benefit of low peak shock is a decrease in wear and tear on pistol components, a great concern with the +P cartridge in 9 mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. Reduction of peak shock forces also contributes to softer recoil for the shooter, although these "felt recoil" values are much more subjective.

As for alum, steel, and poly guns. I think polymer to be the most forgiving base material. Even though it is lighter than both steel, stainless, and aluminum the feel to the hand is not delivered in the same catastrophic way. It absorbs more of the impact I think. I base this on road, and mountain bikers. Many of whom disdain aluminum for its very harsh ride. They prefer the softer smaller tube steel framed rides. This is supposition on my part and I am admittedly pulling a good portion out of my ass. That being said, I would rate the impact, shock, the harshness to the hand from least to worse in this order. (independent of weight) Steel, Polymer, Stainless, aluminum. I say that many modern full-sized poly guns will out last aluminum and stainless guns simply because the amount of shock is better absorbed than through stainless or aluminum.

I too would rate a standard 226 at about 25-26k, That is from posts i have read and wear i have seen based on their stated round count. I think modern poly guns like glock, mnp,xd cz's poly, HK. are all capable. One thing that may be in the usp's favor was the implement of a beefy dual recoil spring. I am not sure if it was a first for a poly gun, but the ones i see nowadays don't seem to be as robust.

I now have over 15k through the gaurdian pictured above, and when I sold the pm7 this year it has well over 17k. So, maybe modern quality guns are just that, quality guns. I have nothing as close to 50k as my usp. It is the first pistol i purchaced, for a good 10 years it was my carry and practice weapon. Most of those 10 years it was my only pistol besides a 22lr ruger. My father and I purchased 2 at the sametime, one for me one for him. His has maybe a couple of thousand rounds on it. If i want another he says i can have that one when he is gone.

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
If you dry fire a lot and push the speed to the point of failure, you will beat up a plastic gun pretty bad. The last glock I had looked like it was chewed on by a dog. I currently shoot 19/2011's with big magwells, those get beat up as well, but it is a consumable part.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by longjohn:
Grouse its posts like yours (50K thru your USP)that make me think i need my head examined for buying 2 of the same models.I have 2 USP 9C's, 2 Glock 19x's, 2 Walther PPQ's etc..
It makes no sense. I shoot a lot, but i would have to live two life times to shoot these guns out.
To the original post, I wont say i kill guns with hard use, but I have thousands and thousands of rounds collectively thru these pistols, and see no real signs of wear.

You either need a backup or the parts and knowledge to fix the gun on the range... they will all break eventually. It's much easier to keep a spare gun in the bag than every possible part that could fail and the expertise to fit said part on the range with minimal equipment.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Any idea on how many rounds it will go without failure running FMJ? Sorry for all the questions, not everyday I run across a reliable source who has 50k of .40 through a gun....with no spring changes or breakages.

Id argue that a lot of .40 guns wouldnt run 50k without issues. Just my opinon. Im not even close with any gun I have. My highest would be a Sig 226ST in 9mm that im pushing close to 20k on. It pretty much retired these days.

I've got 20k through a .40 cal STI Trojan since the beginning of the year. I've had to fit a new bushing to it, replace a cracked insert in the magwell and have replaced the recoil spring and firing pin spring a couple times.

The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
IIRC there was an ammunition company which had a USP 45 that had over 200,000 rounds through it. They changed the barrel and recoil assembly a few times.

As I remember the story, they contacted HK with a question and HK was surprised at the high round count. Great pistol that I dont worry about wearing out. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know of several guys still running around with Gen 1 glocks as their daily carry. It's not going to wear out.

Here’s another. I believe mine to be a police trade in, made in 1986, first year of import to the US. Looks like it was carried a ton, and never once cleaned. No idea how many rounds through it. Every crevice in it was absolutely packed with lint and fouling. I put a new RSA in it just because, and it hasn’t given me a single problem either before or since. I don’t see any signs that it will, either.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
IIRC there was an ammunition company which had a USP 45 that had over 200,000 rounds through it. They changed the barrel and recoil assembly a few times.

As I remember the story, they contacted HK with a question and HK was surprised at the high round count. Great pistol that I dont worry about wearing out. Regards 18DAI

Never heard of that one. I would be interested in reading it if you can find a link.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Don’t know if there was ever an article per say but here is the HK PRO link

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-...morer-must-read.html

I think HK uses the spring quality they take away from the magazines to add to their recoil springs. Wink

Seriously though HK RSA’s seem to all be beasts.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post