SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Left Handers which handguns have worked best for you?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Left Handers which handguns have worked best for you? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I am left handed and left eye dominant
I shoot my long guns left handed and my pistols right handed.

When I was growing up my dad switched me from being completely left handed to throwing right handed. I still bat left handed, and cast with a fishing pole right handed.

As for long guns (not usually AR's but semi-auto shotguns and rifles) I have just sucked it up and caught the occasional brass in the face especially when I am playing with Uncle Sam's 240 or 249. If you look real close I still have a faint scar under my right eye/cheek that I obtained back in 1992 at Fort Knox KY for 19D Cav Scout school. We were firing the M60s and a hot 7.62 casing somehow ejected weird and hitme at the top of my right cheek. I had already fired quite a few belts when it occurred.

When I was growing up my dad had this Winchester semi auto- 22 that was tube fed. That rifle was already about 40 years old when I started shooting it when I was eighteen and I don't think my father ever cleaned it (never jammed once though). Now that thing would sling some ejected brass in your face at least once every range trip.

Now for shotguns, I have always had a heck of a time due to the placement of the safety especially on the Remington 870s I used growing up and being issued at the various agencies I worked at. I never could remember nor felt confident in regards to switching the safety from cold to hot and back again. It was a godsend that I discovered Mossberg with the top mounted safety. I have an armorer certificate for two Benelli's shogtuns but it will be the same situation as the Remingtons.

For bolt action rifles I have just reached over and worked the bolt just like the Sniper did in Saving Private Ryan.

I would like to try a Stag Arms AR-15 LH model just for giggles to see if it is easier than my issued Colt or FN.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrapteam666,

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Interesting responses. Rustpot brought up the extended paddle type slide release on the new HK’s that are on the right side. That was my concern with the new VP9 looks really awkward for a lefty.

How about rifles and shotguns? Do you just put up with right side ejection port and taking the occasional hot brass to the forehead or do you buy only guns with the ejection port on the other side?

Regarding HKs - it hasn't been a deal breaker, and I could likely train around the slide catch. I just shoot them infrequently enough at the range that I hit it. The Safety models have a slightly shorter slide catch lever that I prefer. I still have an HK45 and USP (the USP doesn't have the newer slide catch), but I've sold a P2000sk, P30skS, P30LS, and HK45c. I'd take another P30skS if given the chance, I really liked that gun, I sold it to a new shooter who couldn't afford a new one but loved it just as much, and felt good arming a pleasant lady with a quality piece for her first gun.

For AR15 type guns - I can work a standard GI setup, but my guns all have ambi safeties and ambi charging handles. Most have an ambi magazine catch as well (maybe they all do by now). If you're getting brass to the face with an AR it's not setup properly, or it doesn't have a shell deflector.

I only own one bolt action, it's a Savage .22LR. It's light enough I can hold the bolt handle with my right hand, hold the grip/trigger with my left, and cycle it off my shoulder if needed. Otherwise I'm in no hurry to cycle it and will use whichever hand is more convenient. It's suppressed for critter control, only reason I own it is because no one makes a left-handed suppressor-ready .22LR bolt action and the other options for locked-action weren't as favorable, such as the Henry suppressor-ready lever action. I would very much prefer it to be left handed. I really do not care to shoot standard bolt action rifles, and I've missed out on a lot of great guns because of it. Oh well.

Oddly enough all of the shotguns I own are cross-bolt safeties with the standard setup, or O/U with tang safety. I have an oversized safety to add to my Benelli and will switch it for lefty when I get around to installing it, the rest of the guns are typically used for clay games and hardly ever get the safety engaged. I've owned and sold several guns, including a Mossberg 500-series. I would definitely buy a Mossberg if I were planning on using a shotgun for duty/defense, and not one with a pistol grip.

I haven't owned an AK, there are safety levers out there that allow you to use your left hand thumb, I'd probably need one of those.

I don't know of anything else that has put brass in my face. Except bullpups. I don't think I've shot an AUG, Tavor, or anything that can't allow opposite shouldering.

I have a "fail safe" muscle memory that I try to keep current. If at any time I reach for a safety/switch/lever in the "lefty" location and don't find it, I immediately revert to the standard location and keep moving. So yes, it does slow me down slightly using other people's guns that don't have lefty accommodations, but not enough that it's been an issue of any kind, plus some of my stuff can't be converted. It's humorous to watch people use my guns, even after me pointing out lefty controls, and have them completely dumbfounded on how to use it.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leeann:
Left-handed and left eye dominant here, too.

To be honest, I shot a fully-ambi pistol recently and I hated it. I’ve spent so much time training myself to use my middle finger to hit the mag release and my index finger to work the decocker, I fumble when they’re on the right side (yep, pun intended). Muscle memory works. This way, I never have to think about where anything is when I pick up any gun. They’re all the same.

Having an ambi safety (if the pistol has a safety at all) makes me happy, however.

Same here!!!

Posts: 991 | Location: Carrollton, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAgnes:
Well, we left-handers can thank Colt for the design and production of a true lefty gun, the Single Action!

Tim

Not quite. It was designed so that mounted cavalry could could continue to hold the reins with the oft-hand and the revolver at the same time, while reloading with the dominant hand. Then transfer and shoot with the dominant hand while the oft-hand never let go of the reins. Amazingly, they actually thought this through.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
My buddy is a lefty. My eyes were opened to the ergonomics required for a lefty.
His daily carry: HK 45C or VP9
HK's needed Grey Guns quick reset on both HK's
1911-ambi safety, grips with left cut out for thumb

AR: Stag lefty, Geisselle ambi charging handle, extended mag release, Geisselle Maritime bolt release,ambi safety. (5.56 and 300BO)
PCC: CZ Scorpion, delete rt safety,reverse charging handle to right, extend mag paddle release (HBI upgrades)
Shotgun: Thyphoon--basically a magazine feed semi auto.
Bolt: Tikka T3 Tact A1 lefty in 6.5 creedmmoor
Revolver: S&W Jframe 442

My observations--a lefty uses his left index finger to manipulate controls where a righty uses his thumb.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Lots of good info. Stag Arms was mentioned and I’m on their notification list for three different AR models that are lefty when they come back in stock. Might be a long wait but I’ve vowed no more rifle or shotgun money will be spent unless it’s a lefty. Stag Arms was founded by a lefty so he understands our oppression. Smile I had a Lancaster AK a few years ago and I had no problems operating it and no hot brass to the face issues it really kicked that brass out with meaning but always out and up. Thanks for further input on the HK paddle slide catch Rustpot I almost ordered one yesterday but fought off the urge one more time.

So now what about scissors? Big Grin

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WJR
posted Hide Post
I am left handed and left eye dominant.

Nothing really new to add as revolvers, Glocks, Sigs, and CZs have worked well for me. Moved away from 1911s for various reasons.

One thing I will mention is from a shotgun and some rifle perspective a tang safety works best for me. My favorite shotgun is my Mossberg 590A1.

WJR

Posts: 1823 | Location: Birmingham, AL USA | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
So now what about scissors? Big Grin

I can't use lefty scissors. I gave up trying to find the one set of lefty scissors in the bin during arts and crafts as a kid and just adapted. Unless they're the style made specifically to fit in your right hand I've never had trouble with scissors.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
For me, I have liked the following:
Walther PPS Gen. 1
Glock 19 Gen. 4 (I reversed the mag release on this)
I'm currently shooting a CZ P-07 with the de-cocker installed, mag release on the left side. (great pistol)
Sig P365 with the mag release on the left side. (also great)

For some reason, the Glocks give me more trouble with the mag release on the left in comparison with other pistols. I also can't tolerate a slide stop on the right side of the slide. I had a Walter PPQ (gen.1) that would seldom lock open after the last round due to my grip.

For ARs, I usually just install an ambi safety and mag release. I find the rest to be very left hand friendly.

Posts: 349 | Location: Guatemala | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:

I can't use lefty scissors. I gave up trying to find the one set of lefty scissors in the bin during arts and crafts as a kid and just adapted. Unless they're the style made specifically to fit in your right hand I've never had trouble with scissors.

Same here. All of my scissors are 'universal' - and they work fine. My coworkers have learned not to take my scissors or they'll pay dearly, because theirs are all right-only scissors.

I've never seen lefty-only scissors and there were two other lefties in my class in elementary school (more later).

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
Lefty and right eye dominant here. I originally got a Sig because of how southpaw friendly it naturally is. I shoot 50/50 both hands and have never had a problem. Now 1911's... They gotta have an ambi safety.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
Lefty and right eye dominant here. I originally got a Sig because of how southpaw friendly it naturally is. I shoot 50/50 both hands and have never had a problem. Now 1911's... They gotta have an ambi safety.

I too am a lefty who is right eye dominant. I taught myself to shoot primarily right handed and don't regret it about.

In the long run, its easier to train your right hand then swim upstream.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
Another lefty here and having used Sigs, HK, Glock, Beretta, S&W, Colt and Walther I can honestly say that it has never mattered. Sig classic P series decockers are a bit of a pain but with smaller hands I can manage.

I grew up shooting Colts, Berettas and Glocks so I quickly learned to use my left fore finger for mag changes and sling shot (Tap,Rack,Bang FTW) the slide. My early HKs introduced me to the paddle release with I still use to this day reflexively along side a standard mag button without issue.

My range sessions over the last five years have usually included different trigger and safety systems simply for the variety and familiarizing my son with the different firearms we own.

My only real bitch about being a lefty is how hard it is to score good custom leather in the classifieds! Wink

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lots of good info. Stag Arms was mentioned and I’m on their notification list for three different AR models that are lefty when they come back in stock. Might be a long wait but I’ve vowed no more rifle or shotgun money will be spent unless it’s a lefty.

For bolt actions I will only buy left-handed. There are enough options available. For 10/22 pattern, AK pattern, and everything else semi-auto, you can only get right handed ejection with some ambi features. Most newer semi-autos are OK. AK's are actually better lefty due to location of charging handle and safety.

For AR's I started with Stag, but they are just too limiting. Can't get aftermarket lefty barrels, and BCG's, and some handguards will not fit a lefty upper. Stag's factory offerings with the Aero-sourced hand rails aren't bad. And they finally offer a mid length gas action on a 16" barrel. But you can only get gov't profile barrels, or the odd "varmint" upper with a long-ass heavy barrel.

I have two Stags to sell now that I am building my own "ambi" AR's with right hand ejection.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
quote:
Lots of good info. Stag Arms was mentioned and I’m on their notification list for three different AR models that are lefty when they come back in stock. Might be a long wait but I’ve vowed no more rifle or shotgun money will be spent unless it’s a lefty.

For bolt actions I will only buy left-handed. There are enough options available. For 10/22 pattern, AK pattern, and everything else semi-auto, you can only get right handed ejection with some ambi features. Most newer semi-autos are OK. AK's are actually better lefty due to location of charging handle and safety.

For AR's I started with Stag, but they are just too limiting. Can't get aftermarket lefty barrels, and BCG's, and some handguards will not fit a lefty upper. Stag's factory offerings with the Aero-sourced hand rails aren't bad. And they finally offer a mid length gas action on a 16" barrel. But you can only get gov't profile barrels, or the odd "varmint" upper with a long-ass heavy barrel.

I have two Stags to sell now that I am building my own "ambi" AR's with right hand ejection.

I have a BCM barrel (not left hand specific) and a Stag LH BCG and haven't had any issues with functionality.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: air,

Posts: 236 | Location: SDF | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I have a LH Savage 270Win bolt action rifle for deer hunting. I used to have a LH eject AR but traded it on something else. All my pistols are standard RH models. I could wish for a revolver that swung open to the right tho.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
Smith and Wesson revolvers, SIG 320s, and Glock Gen5s, but I can and have adapted to everything.

Posts: 4449 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being left handed in the right handed world it forces one to be adaptive. That's life the majority rules.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a new Tikka T3x TACT A1 coming, in Lefty of course.

For years like many I've shot right hand rifles, still have a couple, but in lefty I have a Rem composite varminter in 22-250 (can't remember the model) and a Cooper (Jackson Game) in 7mag.

I also have a couple Ruger No. 1's which of course are made for both those created correctly and those not so much. ;-)

I grew up like many being forced into a right hand world, learned to bat right hand and only years later learned left too. Started off with glove on left hand and the ol catch, grab, drop glove, throw routine until I got a proper glove in lefty.

I shoot handgun in both hands and switch eyes as I do. This works out super well, but it did take a lot of practice to get it consistent. I hit about the same both ways.

I always wanted to learn how to shoot a rifle right hand, tried and tried and just felt like a pretzel after a few seconds so quit trying. lol

When doing varmint I would prefer a left bolt right eject, but not about to spend for a custom for that use. This is simply for the same reason bench folks like them, to work the bolt with one hand while catching the brass with the other. I'm not super anal about my brass, but I don't like it bouncing off the ground (reloader).

Oh and I shoot everything both eyes open.

-- Jeff

Posts: 51 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 13, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I'm sorry, in my last post, I wasn't entirely truthful. Actually, I like being right handed and I wouldn't want to change that, especially not at such a late date.

Sorry for, you know, muddying the waters.

But, at least your thread gets a free bump.

Bump

I’m sorry that was funny. Nobody wants to be less-handy!!!

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6253 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post