Find
Notify
Tools

RMR Sight Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted
I have a question for those of you who EDC a pistol with a RMR sight. Do you have it turned on all the time, or do you train to incorporate the on switch/button into your draw?

I am thinking about possibly having my G19 Gen 5 slide milled, and would also appreciate thoughts on what is the best RMR for EDC.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
I am in the same boat and was discussing this issue with a guy at a USPSA shoot who had the Leupold Deltapoint on his Glock. I mentioned the RMR and he said he started with that, but did not like the concave window as it limited the site picture vs. the DPs convex window.
I tried it out and was impressed, but have not shot the RMR--which he said is a rugged little bastard.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
DeltaPointPro and Sig Romeo 1 both turn on with the draw motion - I'd go with one of those, and change the batteries every year...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The main reason the Trijicon RMR is the pistol sight to beat is ruggedness and battery life in excess of a year.

Carrying with the sight off makes zero sense to me.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
My carry gun has the RMR on all the time. I plan on changing the battery every year on my birthday. My G34 that is a range gun gets turned off.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
DeltaPointPro and Sig Romeo 1 both turn on with the draw motion - I'd go with one of those, and change the batteries every year...
Do they turn on with the draw stroke or just any motion?

I walk around a lot and am pretty sure it would turn on with those movements.

YMMV, however.

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
The main reason the Trijicon RMR is the pistol sight to beat is ruggedness and battery life in excess of a year.

The battery lasts a year, even when left on 24/7/365?

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
quote:

The battery lasts a year, even when left on 24/7/365?

Most people with the adjustable RMR leave it at 5-6 and just change it every year to be safe.

From http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/support/faq_RMR.php

What is the Adjustable LED RMR battery life?
The RM06 and RM07 battery should last four years of continual use at brightness setting #4. When left on at the brightest setting (brightness setting #8), the battery should last around 25 days.

What is the LED RMR battery life?
The RM01 and RM02 models are rated at two years typical use.

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I am impressed.

Picture of Uncle Malice
posted Hide Post
Type 2 RM06 on my G19. Reports are that the battery should last up to 4 years on #4 setting, but I plan to just change it at new years with the rest of my optics.

The EXPS2-0 gets changed as needed with spare batteries on the rifle, so not a big deal.

Posts: 532 | Registered: August 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
Do they turn on with the draw stroke or just any motion?

I walk around a lot and am pretty sure it would turn on with those movements.

YMMV, however.

it goes off when motionless for a few minutes. No idea what actually battery life will be.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’d be my concern, since the DPP or Romeo will be moving as a person walks, it’s going to turn on and off, and there isn’t any data on how long it will last under regular us.

Everyone I’ve seen online use a DPP for CCW has eventually solid it for one reason or another and gotten an RMR. The DPP is a taller optic than the RMR so that may also be a reason.

I’m still in the Stone Age with night sights and no RDS on my CCW.

posted Hide Post
I turn my rmr off when I'm putting it in the safe and turn it back on before carrying it. I change the batteries every year as well. Battery life is excellent.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use them for the range and carry. The carry one I just leave on. The range ones I turn off, but I don't worry about it if I forget. I've never had a battery issue due to use. I change them annually just because, but the specs say that it really isn't needed. I know several people that started with the DPP because of the on/off feature that quickly switched to an RMR. Small sample so take it for what it is.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I have no choice. The RMR RM02 on my MOS G19 is always on. It's a transplant that was a backup on a rifle in a past life. The last battery took about 3 1/2 years to begin petering out. However a large part of that time was spent in a dark safe, where the light sensor keeps the dot illumination extremely low.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm recommending a different red dot than has been mentioned here. Write this down and research it for yourself. Its the Shield RMS. Its on constantly and the red dot changes instantly with a changed atmosphere. The battery lasts 2 to three years. They're at Brownells for $400 or you can go to Lone Wolf and buy one for $349. They're made in the UK. The Shield company has been furnishing these for the Brit military. Just last year they started racking up production and are now selling them world wide. Lone Wolf mounted one on my M&P Shield.
They mill and mount on Glocks too. (No Sigs)
I have a Romeo 1 (for my P320) and have had a Burris FF3. This Shield RMS is the best in my opinion. Shield has just released the RMSc for M&P Shields and G43's.
If I had my druthers__found out too late__I'd have Mark put a Shield RMS on my P320. Not that the Romeo 1 isn't a fine sight. I just like the idea of the red dot being on all the time.
Stay Safe.
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thawed out,
thrown out
posted Hide Post
Unless the weapon is in storage, all of my ready for use weapons have their optics turned on. As others have mentioned the battery life should last at least a year and batteries can be changed sooner if need be. In a situation where you may have to use your weapon the less things you need to do before taking a good shot, the better IMO.

Posts: 124 | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I carry an adjustable RMR and keep it on 24/7.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scsu74
posted Hide Post
Always on, RM06 type 2. If you change the battery on your bday it will never run out.

X-Carry (ACRO & DPP slides), X5 x2 (w/ DPPs, gas pedals, Springer guide rods)

Posts: 293 | Location: Up Nort | Registered: July 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scsu74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Horn:
I'm recommending a different red dot than has been mentioned here. Write this down and research it for yourself. Its the Shield RMS. Its on constantly and the red dot changes instantly with a changed atmosphere. The battery lasts 2 to three years. They're at Brownells for $400 or you can go to Lone Wolf and buy one for $349. They're made in the UK. The Shield company has been furnishing these for the Brit military. Just last year they started racking up production and are now selling them world wide. Lone Wolf mounted one on my M&P Shield.
They mill and mount on Glocks too. (No Sigs)
I have a Romeo 1 (for my P320) and have had a Burris FF3. This Shield RMS is the best in my opinion. Shield has just released the RMSc for M&P Shields and G43's.
If I had my druthers__found out too late__I'd have Mark put a Shield RMS on my P320. Not that the Romeo 1 isn't a fine sight. I just like the idea of the red dot being on all the time.
Stay Safe.
Poli Viejo

No.. those are craptastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hGk4EUs4_c

X-Carry (ACRO & DPP slides), X5 x2 (w/ DPPs, gas pedals, Springer guide rods)

Posts: 293 | Location: Up Nort | Registered: July 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post