SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock "frying pan" Finish...need information
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock "frying pan" Finish...need information Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Gen4 Glocks rust much more easily than older guns, IME. I have seen substantial rust form in a fairly short amount of time when the slide suffers exposure to moisture.

Posts: 597 | Registered: October 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is a Gen. 3 EVUXXX serial numbered i bought way back 2003..still looks new up to now no wear marks but its kinda slick to handle i have to use an overhand grip to rack the slide..

quote:
Originally posted by domino:
I have bought some of the frying pan finish pistols.

The serial number will start with a "M" and maybe extend into serial numbers starting with an "S".

Some don't like the frying pan finish as they claim it can be too slick.

Don't buy them all, save some for me....

Posts: 254 | Location: Manila, philippines | Registered: January 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I owned a G31,that had the slick finish, never showed any holster wear, but really didn't carry it that much. A forum member purchased it several years ago..

Also owned one of the Gen 2 G19's, I guess with the Tennifer finish, of course, the matte finish wore, but never any rust. The only pistols that have ever rusted with me are blued pistols, no matter how much I kept them oiled.

Which is why I won't use blued pistols.

Glock should go the Nitron/Ion Bond DLC route for their slides. Either satin or matte texture.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
Sunset VA
Glock should go back to the original Tennifer if they could

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCR:
Sunset VA

I agree, but they can't do Tenifer in the U.S.

Posts: 597 | Registered: October 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sparky315:
quote:
Originally posted by CCR:
Sunset VA

I agree, but they can't do Tenifer in the U.S.

Why not? Tenifer pretreatment of steel is used by other industries. And back in Europe, Walther uses it on their guns.

The only reason why Glock doesn't use Tenifer anymore is because of the cost savings. Pretreating using Tenifer requires a second step to get to the final finish for a part, such as the slide. Using an alternative pretreatment like Melonite (as claimed several years ago) cuts it down to a single step; a blackened steel finish is what you end up with after the Melonite bath. But from what I've experienced Melonite stinks as a rust inhibitor when compared to Tenifer. It even has the potential to make stainless steel rust easily.

Now that Glock has gone to a DLC finish on the Gen5 pistols, I wonder if they even pretreat their steel at all with those guns.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
What is the DLC finish? I have two Glocks from '98 era and I don't think I could make them rust. A G22 duty gun and a G27 for off duty/back up. They have been sweated on, rained on etc. without issue. Im hoping the DLC is as good as the tennifer finish.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Frying pan threads and Glock threads have legs on SigForum. This thread has both, so I expect a long run. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post