SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock "frying pan" Finish...need information
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock "frying pan" Finish...need information Login/Join 
Picture of indigoss
posted
A friend of mine has managed to rust part of his slide and barrel. He had been told the "frying pan" Teflon type finish was the most durable. I am searching for which year(s) or generation to find the finish. Any input would be appreciated.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
The frying pan finish includes most of the original gen 3 guns and some of the early gen 4s until around 2012.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have an early G23 Gen 4 with they frying pan finish.

It was an LEO turn in and it had speckles of rust on the rear of the slide, so I don't know how durable it really is.

Granted it was a 'fair' condition for $319.99 shipped, so I really can't complain.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I have a Gen4 frying pan finish G-19. I don't know about rust, I've never had any rust on a glock. I do know the finish is a lot tougher than the Parkerized looking ones. Go literally see no wear on it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
My early Gen4 G21 and G19 both have that finish.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The "Finish" on a Glock shouldn't have much to do with its resistance to the elements. That comes from the metal treatment Tennifer or whatever is being used these days (melonite/nitron etc.).

The exterior finish of Glocks has changed several times and yes IMO the Gen 4 finish sucks. I haven't found issues with rust or metal issues but the exterior finish sucks compared to the Gen 3 frying pan finish.

I have a Gen 4 G17, great gun, horrible finish. One or two presentations from kydex and it is scratched up. Gen 3 glocks look like new. Not a mark on them. HK's (which traditionally have had weaker exterior finishes) show nary a mark. One of my P2000s is in and out of kydex almost daily and looks new.

Gen 4 Glock external finishes are not that durable. If the metal however is rusting I would talk to Glock.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the comments. I will forward the info to him.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
If they'd put the same finish on the slide as used on the frame, they would never rust. Big Grin

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try and find a good used Glock 7. No metal parts to rust, just porcelain and plastic but they're pricey, probably more than you make in a month.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
The "Finish" on a Glock shouldn't have much to do with its resistance to the elements. That comes from the metal treatment Tennifer or whatever is being used these days (melonite/nitron etc.).

The exterior finish of Glocks has changed several times and yes IMO the Gen 4 finish sucks. I haven't found issues with rust or metal issues but the exterior finish sucks compared to the Gen 3 frying pan finish.

I have a Gen 4 G17, great gun, horrible finish. One or two presentations from kydex and it is scratched up. Gen 3 glocks look like new. Not a mark on them. HK's (which traditionally have had weaker exterior finishes) show nary a mark. One of my P2000s is in and out of kydex almost daily and looks new.

Gen 4 Glock external finishes are not that durable. If the metal however is rusting I would talk to Glock.

This. The steel pretreatment is the key in keeping any Glock from rusting, not the final finish. Glock curtailed using Tenifer years ago (getting close to a decade), so even the slicker "fry pan" finished Glocks built in the post-Tenifer era are not immune to corrosion. A former coworker's G19 has that finish, and rust as well.

Not all post-Tenifer Glocks rust...for a given person. It seems body chemistry matters, and for a particular person that corrosion may or may not happen. It all depends upon what's coming out that guy's (or gal's) skin pores. A friend of mine has several Gen4s that he carries in 'his rotation'; he's a 'sweater' but none of his Glocks show any signs of rusting. With my lower torso I don't sweat much but regardless, any prolonged contact with my skin will cause a post-T Glock slide to begin rusting. Sucks, but I will say that finding a holster with a well-sized and shaped sweat shield goes a long way in keeping the tin worm at bay.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

This. The steel pretreatment is the key in keeping any Glock from rusting, not the final finish. Glock curtailed using Tenifer years ago (getting close to a decade), so even the slicker "fry pan" finished Glocks built in the post-Tenifer era are not immune to corrosion. A former coworker's G19 has that finish, and rust as well.

Not all post-Tenifer Glocks rust...for a given person. It seems body chemistry matters, and for a particular person that corrosion may or may not happen. It all depends upon what's coming out that guy's (or gal's) skin pores. A friend of mine has several Gen4s that he carries in 'his rotation'; he's a 'sweater' but none of his Glocks show any signs of rusting. With my lower torso I don't sweat much but regardless, any prolonged contact with my skin will cause a post-T Glock slide to begin rusting. Sucks, but I will say that finding a holster with a well-sized and shaped sweat shield goes a long way in keeping the tin worm at bay.

it's your corrosive personality... Razz

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a gen 3 circa (04 I think..) that developed rust speckles in the rear grasping grooves. This was during a 40 hour instructor course here in Va. Beach. The entire week it was mid to upper nineties with oppressive humidity and all I did was wipe the slide down with a oiled rag during the week. I noticed the rust Sunday after the course but by then it was too late. Boy did I sweat on that thing and everything else that week.

No problems with the Smith 65 though Smile

The Glock was a DTT serial pre-fix. That will more accurately date it.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:

it's your corrosive personality... Razz

Hey! I represent that! Big Grin Frown

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
Great responses. As jackimoe stated, no issues with his Smith, my friend carried a Sig P220 compact for years without issue. I have a bunch of Glocks and never had a rust issue. I have one with the Teflon type finish that was from around 2010 but now with the replies I have seen other time periods where the finish was used. Based on the replies, it may simply be more of sweat chemistry vs gun finish. Being in S. Florida doesn't help either. I may just tell him to sell his Glocks to me for cheap and to start carrying a sig again. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
You'd be surprised what I make in a month...

quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Try and find a good used Glock 7. No metal parts to rust, just porcelain and plastic but they're pricey, probably more than you make in a month.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
We have seen rust on many many Gen 4 Glocks

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
I have a few Glocks that were made in the 2005 to 2008 period with the slick black finish (looks like Ilaflon). Of all the years of Glocks I own and have owned (1989 to present) these by far have the best factory finish. My G21 got a little bit of wear on the slide from the Safariland Raptor duty holster I was using, but never showed any sign of rust.

The G21 was carried exposed on a duty belt from 2006 to 2009 in all elements with no rust. The G17 has been carried from January 2014 to present with no rust.

My G26 has been carried since 2006 IWB off and on and in holster attached to my vest and has been soaked in sweat and has...you guessed it...no rust.

I actually seek out and snap up these years of Glocks when I find them. I think the company was at the top of their game when they were made (minus the G22+light fiasco).

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4191 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Ive heard that Glock will refinish slides for $40.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
Ive heard that Glock will refinish slides for $40.

It will be the current parkerized-style finish that the Gen4 comes with. Not the "frying pan" Ilaflon-style finish.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4191 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have bought some of the frying pan finish pistols.

The serial number will start with a "M" and maybe extend into serial numbers starting with an "S".

Some don't like the frying pan finish as they claim it can be too slick.

Don't buy them all, save some for me....

Posts: 243 | Location: OH | Registered: January 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post