SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question for HK USP Owners
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for HK USP Owners Login/Join 
Picture of Gambit
posted
I have never held one in any caliber, but I see so much positive opinions about them. They only negative thing I sometimes read is regarding the grip size.
Is the grip size the same for all calibers?
What would you compare the grip size to?
Thanks

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been a while since I've owned one, but if I recall correctly the 9/40/357 grips are the same. The 45 is slightly larger.

They are great guns, one day I'll replace the USPc 9mm I sold off.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
The 45 grip is a bit larger. Some people prefer the HK45 because the grip is more slim and ergonomic. The USP is what I prefer because it is meat and potatoes.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have USP and USPc. 9 and 40. Circumference is about what you expect, no bigger no smaller. My experience is that the grip is pretty aggressive and very square-ish. That is my gripe. Great guns, not particularly comfortable in my grip.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Been years, but had a bit of time behind a friend's USP-C & liked it. IIRC it was a 45ACP & I liked his P220ST a bit more.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15309 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a USP40 and USP45. I have not had issues with the grip size of either pistol. The biggest complaint I have heard over the years was regarding a fairly heavy and sometimes rough double action trigger pull. After enough use, the trigger pull smoothes out a bit. I like both of mine.

Posts: 255 | Location: Oregon | Registered: April 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I have had my HK USP 45 full size since 1996/7. Never a bobble. No problem with the grip size. Very accurate gun.

A few years back I put some of those peel and stick rubberized grips on mine. Nice. Great gun. Buy one, you won't be disappointed. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
It either works for YOU or it doesn’t. Love mine but you should go visit a local dealer and see for yourself.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’m on the hunt for another one now as well. In fact, I just sourced a hard to find 357Sig barrel for a USPc. Now I just have to find a .40 version to drop the barrel into. I have had two in the past, stupidly sold them. I wont make the mistake again. Grip wise..I dont recall it being uncomfortable. The texture is a bit rough, but with Talon Grips, its plenty comfy.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I carried a USP .45 on duty and had a personal USP .40 years ago.

I have very small hands. The .45 was no problem. I loved that thing.

The .40 was very slightly smaller. I sold it when my ex and I split. Wish I still had it. Loved the USPs.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experiences with USPC in both 9 and 45 places them better and above, in almost every way, from the P30, P2000 and HK45C. Oh and also the hammerless VP...I own one of each of these mentioned and though they are all subjectively good pieces, to me, the USPs are the better H&Ks.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
As others have said you either love the grip or hate it. I’m an HK fanboy and yet the USP series escapes me. Had a USP 45 and sold it as it didn’t hold a candle to the HK45 in my eyes. The P/VP series just fit my hand. The USP, well it feels like holding onto a 2x4 to me.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have a USP 45T. I have no issues with circumference. IMO, the full size USP feels smaller than a Glock 20 G3 in circumference. That being said, I like the P30, P2000 and VP9 grips better.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
I had a USP 40 back in the day and the only issue with it that I had was me not shooting 40 as well as I did 9 and 45. I have a HK 45 now and but have getting the withdrawal itches for a USP in 9 or 45.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
first I think the USP9/40 grip is the best there is. Fits me perfectly. I've modest sized hands. Things that fit me in other double stacks are like 226's and the 320 medium, glock 17. If you are happy with things like that you will be happy with the USP. The 45 is bigger, though you can go to the HK45 to somewhat mitigate that.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I had a USP45 full size and I have a USPc45. The grip size of the USPc45 is smaller than the USP45 full size. The USPc45 fits me better. Even better is my HK45c although I like the roughness of the USP45c grip a little better.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would suggest holding one and shooting it. Holding the USP it doesn't feel that great, but shooting it is a different story. I have several usp's. The expert is probably my favorite. But if you can find a deal on a full size and put the match trigger and decent sights on it they are almost as great as the expert. The full size usp with match trigger, dawson sights and jet funnel is my favorite pistol. I am an Hk fanboy, though.

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a USP 9mm Custom Combat for about 15 years. The grip was very big and I have large hands. I never could bond with the pistol so I traded it for a revolver a while back. Love the P30/VP9 ergos and grips, but just never got into the USP.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I suggest giving the HK45 a fondle. Most comfortable and ergonomic gun I’ve ever held, plus you can change the grip size accordingly.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
I have a USP45 Tactical LE and a USP45. The tactical is the most accurate pistol I own. While the USP may seem big looking at them, they fit my hands quite well and ate excellent shooting pistols. I highly recommend them.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post