SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Poll: GLOCK 19 (Gen 3) vs SIG SP2022
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: GLOCK 19 (Gen 3) vs SIG SP2022 Login/Join 
Picture of elberettas
posted
Hello Everyone,

So my fiance offered to buy me a new pistol. My go to HD/Range pistol is a W. German P226. My OCD and just plain love for that pistol makes me baby it. I have a hard time letting new shooters handle it. So I don't really NEED another pistol, but I've been toying with the idea of getting one as a "Beater". In reality, I'll probably baby it as well, but won't be as reluctant to let others shoot it. I'm thinking one of these would be the way to go as polymer is less susceptible to scratches and what not. The Gen 3 are all that are available new here in CA.

Question:
Which would you choose as an all around "Beater"?

Choices:
GLOCK 19 (Gen 3)
SIG SP2022

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Can’t go wrong with either. However, there is way yonder more support for the 19. The SP2022 lacks a lot of support, but is likely the most accurate DA/SA gun on the planet.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Glock 19 for me.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
several years ago I pondered the same choice, and ended up with the SP2022.

I just like hammers.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a tough choice and difficult to make,depending on your needs and what works best for you. It is literally comparing apples to oranges. Both are tough and perform well. For me, I would choose neither. The reason I say that as a Gen 3 does not fit my hand well and I need/require the back straps in order for me to shoot the pistol without getting slide bite.

Between the two though, the Glock would be my choice. It is a great pistol with many things going for it-parts can be found anywhere, mags are cheap, they can be found anywhere and not to mention tons of aftermarket support.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree either will do well for you. But since you are experienced with the 226, the transition to the 2022 would be very easy.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The Glock is the “OBVIOUS” Choice as it’s a fantastic/hell iconic gun with a ton of support that isn’t going to wain anytime soon.

That said I say go with the SIG. it’s the same manual of arms as your P226 and will likely have an even better trigger (all the SIGPRO’s I have handled have had wonderful triggers). These are great guns that simply came at a time when hammer fired was on the way out.

And besides you can ALWAYS find a Glock to buy later if you desire.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
The Glock is the “OBVIOUS” Choice as it’s a fantastic/hell iconic gun with a ton of support that isn’t going to wain anytime soon.

That said I say go with the SIG. it’s the same manual of arms as your P226 and will likely have an even better trigger (all the SIGPRO’s I have handled have had wonderful triggers). These are great guns that simply came at a time when hammer fired was on the way out.

And besides you can ALWAYS find a Glock to buy later if you desire.

This is how I look at it as well.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I'm of the opinion that everyone should have at least one G19.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beater = Glock

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Both? I have G3 G19. It's the Toyota Camry of the gun world. The Sig 2022 example I tried had a trigger substantially worse than my P228. An example of one but it turned me off. The G19 is also a better CCW gun if that matters. And even though the French have bought a bajillion of them, I always wonder how long SIG USA will support a weapon. If it were me, I'd buy the Glock 19.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
BTDT, went G19GEN3. Never looked back.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK do you want a DA/SA beater or a striker fired beater? Because that is all that matters here.
A g319 is the quintessential definition of a beater since you can get every part every where. but operating system trumps that.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the Glock, and if is simply a 'beater' get a G17 over a G19 if you're stuck with Gen 3.
Unless the Gen 3 compact frame finger grooves fit your grip on the G19, they don't for me, but the Gen 3 G17 does.

Best Gen of G19 IMHO is a Gen 2 with no grooves.

Love my beater Gen 2 G17.
One of my most accurate out of 10 Glocks I own.
Paid $300 for her a LGS years ago.

Or go ahead and move on up to the G45, the best of both worlds.
G19 slide with a grooveless G17 grip...

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you want something quite similar to what you already have or something rather different?

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
I wish I could get a G45 at a fair price here in CA. My reason for wanting a G19 is the simplicity of the design and "Everyone needs a GLOCK 19" comments I always hear. The reason I want a SP2022 is same manual of arms as my P226 and "Brand Loyalty". I've shot both and shoot both well enough to not notice much of a difference between the two.

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post