SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why no P320 in 10mm Auto?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why no P320 in 10mm Auto? Login/Join 
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
That really depends on the recoil springi assembly, doesn't it?

The recoil spring and weight of the slide obviously have a lot to do with moderating the effects on the frame/grip module. That’s evidently why the P226 and P229 have different recoil springs and slides for guns chambered for 9mm versus 357/40, but there are limits on both. The slide cannot be too heavy and the recoil spring cannot be too powerful (stiff) before potential users decide that the gun is too heavy or too difficult to operate and decide, “Not for me.”

And the slide and recoil spring assembly aren’t the only thing that affect how a gun can handle heavy recoil and fast slide movement. That is why Bruce Gray specified that only P220s with steel frames could be converted to 10mm, and why factory 10mm 220s have steel frames as well. The differences in their frames/grip modules is why I question whether a 10mm 320 would be practicable.

My question is based upon my experience with my stainless P220-10. It has a recoil spring that requires gorilla strength to rack the slide, and it still chucks the empties from full house loads 30 feet. There are a lot of stress forces at work in there.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
What recoil spring does the 10mm P220 use? Is it different than the standard 45 ACP version (green paint)? The 45 220 has very vigorous ejection with hot loads. In my testing cases from the Gold Dot 200 grain +P load were ejected an average of about 27 feet (9 yards).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
My question is based upon my experience with my stainless P220-10. It has a recoil spring that requires gorilla strength to rack the slide, and it still chucks the empties from full house loads 30 feet. There are a lot of stress forces at work in there.

Your recoil spring must be weak. My P220-10 throws Underwood 180gr Gold Dot empties about 50ft. Smile I couldn't believe the first time I shot them. Couldn't find the pile so I kept walking, and finally there they were, in a nice neat spread. I paced it back to my shooting position.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I will not be the person who buys the very first 320 10mm... I will not be the person who buys the very first 320 10mm...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost, but making
good time
posted Hide Post
I'd be interested in a 10mm P320 and judging by other manufactures offering a 10mm option, there may be a market for Sig to do the same.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10446 | Location: St Augustine | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
What recoil spring does the 10mm P220 use? Is it different than the standard 45 ACP version (green paint)? The 45 220 has very vigorous ejection with hot loads. In my testing cases from the Gold Dot 200 grain +P load were ejected an average of about 27 feet (9 yards).

Here are springs from my P220-10 SAO on the left (purple spring) (20 coils) and the P220 Legion 45 SAO (green spring) (14 coils) on the right. The 10 mm spring is a captured spring and partially compressed. I don't know the spring weight on the 10mm but it takes A LOT of muscle to work the slide by comparison to all my 45's.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
Here are springs from my P220-10 SAO on the left (purple spring) (20 coils) and the P220 Legion 45 SAO (green spring) (14 coils) on the right.

Great! Thanks.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Let me just say if you're not friends with Bruce Gray on Facebook, today would be a really good day to start. Wink

Just sayin' Big Grin

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
Let me just say if you're not friends with Bruce Gray on Facebook, today would be a really good day to start. Wink

Just sayin' Big Grin

Yep. Cool

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:

Just sayin' Big Grin

Yep. Cool

Me three. Not soon, though.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Facebook is one of the dumbest things ever, so can someone simply discuss...you know...on this discussion board, what they are referring to?

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Facebook is one of the dumbest things ever, so can someone simply discuss...you know...on this discussion board, what they are referring to?

Not with that attitude. Wink

Bruce re-hinted on a previous hint that he was still working on a P320 in 10mm.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why no P320 in 10mm Auto?

For the same reason the Hulk can’t pick up the hammer of Thor...

Not worthy.

Eek

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
What amazes me is that nobody in the aftermarket has figured out how to use the P320 FCU in lots of custom applications (10mm, carbine etc.).

There are at least two carbine, SBR, or carbine like brace pistols on the market.

Fire Control Unit’s X03 – A P320 FCU based AR-15

P320 Carbine Chassis – EXO ONE From FireControlUnit

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post