SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Finally got the chance to shoot a Colt Python
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally got the chance to shoot a Colt Python Login/Join 
Picture of bripro
posted
Today I finally had the time to get to a place called Morr Outdoors and rent their Python. I made sure to bring my Smith & Wesson model 586 with a 1980 production. I admit I can’t get the idea of owning a Python out of my head and figured I could do some side-by-side comparison until that time arrives. I put about 100 rounds through each gun alternating between the two after every six shots. I thought it was going to be a shame that I could only get on the 15 yard pistol range as I wanted to get some longer distance shots in but it didn’t turn out to be a bad thing since the Colts windage was proving to be too far left for me anyway. I do admit that most of my guns are adjusted at the rear sight pretty far to the right side since I shoot with my right hand and am left eye dominant. I shot at my max available distance, close distance and everything in between, single and double action as well.

To be fair I would say that I have an excellent example Smith and Wesson and the Colt is a rental gun with more rounds that can probably be counted and in need of some definite TLC. Nonetheless it did prove to be an excellent shooter with great accuracy. The groups were tight and any flyers were the fault of my own. It’s no surprise that the Python had a much smoother action. About halfway through the session I actually thought my Smith and Wesson was getting a little gummed up when I would cock the hammer which has never happened before. The fact is that it was all in my head since the snakes action was just so smooth.

I think part of me was hoping I wouldn’t like the Python so I could go back to searching for older Smith and Wesson‘s but this little trip confirmed what most of you Colt owners already know. It is indeed an excellent revolver I’m just not sure I like it 1500 dollars more than a good S&W. As a matter fact, if I offered, I don’t think I would make an even swap of my 586 for a Python. I know that makes no sense moneywise but it’s just my gut feeling.

To sum it up the Colt Python is an outstanding performer but so is a good Smith and Wesson. The phrase apples to oranges definitely comes to mind.

Interesting how similar they are in dimensions.

Six shot groups, single action, from about twenty feet.

I’m not sure what finish this is/was but I did noticed the blued cylinder release and hammer.

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Posts: 155 | Location: United States | Registered: May 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's great you got to shoot the Python. The other side of the coin, is just rent it for the $10-20 rental fee when the itch strikes.....it sure is a lot cheaper than buying one! I'm surprised they have such and expensive/rare gun as a rental.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I feel the Colt finish is nickle. Couple things completely opposite of the two. S&W cylinder indexes counter clockwise, Colt clockwise. S&W rifleing is twist right hand and the Colts is left. The .312 smooth combat trigger on the 586 is much better for DA shooting than the Colts serrated flat face trigger. Check your L frames ejector rod to be sure it is tight, hand tight no tools. They are left hand thread and loosen a bit which can cause tight indexing. Perhaps this is the gummed up sensation you got.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a gun shop close by and they always have about all the Colt Python guns for sale , 2 4 6 8 inch 2400 to 3200 3800 . I had a 4 and a 6 sold them years back , friend also had 6 in 22 diamond back I could have got for 275 should have jumped on that one . I think Smith would hold up longer . I like the Colt gun and get hold of one any day of the week almost got a 6in for 1700 last Sat but did not do it .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having handled and shot both Pythons and P&R S&Ws, I still prefer the S&W.

To me, the frame and grip contours feel more natural and the S&W DA trigger is easier to shoot well. The Python SA is a bit nicer, but not by much. Esthetics are personal choice, but I've never been enamored with the vent rib.

Hey, if someone wants to sell me a LNIB one for $1,000, I'm all over it, but not at the current prices.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I had a six-inch matte stainless one for a time (1998-2008). It was unshootable with the stock grips on it. Besides the trigger reach being way too long, the sharp checkering abraded my hand. For shooting purposes I put a Hogue wood Monogrip on it … but I kept the original grips. Python prices these days for anything that hasn't been drug behind a truck are completely out of reach now.

BTW, the Dirty Harry movie Magnum Force makes extensive use of Pythons, albeit by the antagonists (rogue/vigilante cops). There is even one scene where the rogue cop suppresses one. It twisted right over the muzzle, front sight and everything.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
When I shot mine at the range very often I'd just shoot .38+ rounds for practice, When I reloaded the .357 using 125gr jhp with Blue Dot, I dialed in a real pussy cat load for target and could squeeze it up to 1760fps for fast loads for fun loads. My Python has served me well for many years without any kind of signs of timing issues, it's been rock solid and whenever I do sell, I won't be doing it to make a lot of $$. I'd just prefer to see that it goes to a good home. Mines a 76'- 6" mint nickel

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I'm FAR more of an S&W fan than anything else. Grew up with them, carried them on the cop job, etc. So "revolver" shows a Smith in my minds eye.

But ,I don't seem to be happy unless I have a few Colt revolvers hanging around too. Especially a 6" blued Python. A must have for the collection. I've had a few fours and a lone 2 1/2" Python over the years. But the six inchers just seem RIGHT to me.

I can relate to the appeal.

I was VERY happy when this was gifted to my wife from her Dad. A .38 Special, nickle Diamondback. I prefer SS or blue, but still happy to have it in the safe. Sits on the Colt side, with a few 1911's, a 2nd gen Woodsman, a Detective Special and my Python.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pythons are bad luck! I lost a 1977 2 1/2" in my first divorce, she kept it. Bought another 2 1/2", got married & had to sell it in my 2nd divorce.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4264 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
One of my best friends has a Colt Python 4" bbl. My funds, being far more restricted than his, had me going with a Ruger Security Six 4" bbl. We both had our revolvers tuned by a local master at the craft at the time. My Ruger came out of that about as nice as his Python had felt going in, and his Python came back buttery smooth.

That being said, and maybe I was biased, but I always preferred my Security Six over his Python.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have some S&Ws .357 in J,K,L, and N frames and a couple of Pythons. I also have a Colt New Service in .38 Special and a Dan Wesson Pistol Pack in .357. I think they all have their strengths and weakness. I would not want to get rid of any of mine. If I could keep only one, it would be a 6" Model 28-2 that I have had about 40 years. It was the first .357 I owned and I have lost track of how many rounds I have put thru it. But I love my Pythons and think that my Dan Wesson Pistol Pack with its 4 barrels is probably the most versatile. What I am saying is buy some of each.

Posts: 619 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Here's my 1961 blue six inch Python shooter. I picked her up in '80 for ~$200. She was reblued when a got her. Her action is nice and tight and overall in nice condition. Unfortunately, she will always be nothing more than a shooter. That's OK with me.

This is why she will always be nothing more than a shooter.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bripro
posted Hide Post
I think I’m missing your point. A shooter vs what?? Is there something in the last pic I’m missing? I know the refinish diminishes value but is there something else I’m missing? Thanks

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Posts: 155 | Location: United States | Registered: May 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Drilled and tapped for scope base.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post