SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Did Sig ever make a folded stainless P220 slide and will this work?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did Sig ever make a folded stainless P220 slide and will this work? Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I have a P220 Sport I want to convert to a standard length P220. Will this slide assembly work?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/858414460

It claims to be a stainless slide assembly, but it has a breech block and it's clearly folded. I wonder if it's a folded steel nickel plated slide?

Either way, for the price, if it works, I'd like to buy it.

Will this slide work with my P220 Sport?

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
To my knowledge, all folded slides were made of carbon steel, not stainless.

The slide in that auction is not stainless steel.

Can’t say if it will work on your frame. I will leave that to others Smile

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10490 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
All stamped slides are carbon steel.

The slide in question is most likely nickel.

Finally...leave your P220 Sport alone! For the price of that slide, might as well save it and put it towards an standard P220.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I wonder if it's a folded steel nickel plated slide?

That’s almost certainly the case. In all my time here reading about SIG pistols, I have never seen a single reference to a formed and welded stainless steel slide with separate breechblock.
One of the most common erroneous claims about SIGs on Internet sales sites is that a nickel plated gun or part is stainless steel. We might expect a professional gunsmith to know better, but ….

As for the question of whether the slide would work on a Sport model, I don’t have any experience swapping P220 slides around, but I do know that slide swaps between P226s doesn’t always work.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yeah, folded carbon steel slide. Definitely not stainless. Doesn't exist. A lot of sellers automatically assume stainless, when things are shiny.

Q

Posts: 26373 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Anyone know if it will work? I may have to just buy a Nitron slide and give it that 2-tone effect.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
The fact that it's a folded steel, or milled stainless steel slide doesn't matter to the frame. I have several P220s, both older, W. German and German folded slides as well as newer USA milled stainless slides and as long as the P220 is in 45 I can swap any slide and put it on any frame.

From the P220 Compact, Carry or even my 5in P220 Stainless Match Elite, all frames slides are compatible that I've tried.

That being said, I don't know for sure if the Sport Frame is exactly the same as a non-Sport frame.

As others have said, if I were you I'd simply get another complete gun. There are plenty of Police Trade-in SIGs out there right now for really good prices.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put the longer slide from my Match Elite on the stainless frame from my P220 ST. It made a pretty neat pistol, and functioned totally. I may keep this as a (Frankensig) range gun

Posts: 35 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Superzuki, that's a later, milled slide.

Oh, and if you get bored? Try it on a 227 frame.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post