SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 sight numbers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 sight numbers Login/Join 
Lost, but making
good time
posted
I've got (5) P320's in my family - 4 are mine and one belongs to one of my sons. I recently put the X-ray sights on to my P320F 45acp.
Being a 45, I assumed it would have a #8 on the rear, and a #6 on the front. Luckily I double checked before ordering the X-rays because the gun came with #8's on the front and rear. The gun was dead on at 20 to 25 yards so I ordered the #8's front and rear.

My son asked me to get X-rays for his P320C 9mm (I work at a gun shop) so I checked his gun's sight numbers and his gun has a #6 rear and a #8 front. WTF?

That prompted me to check my other P320's and they have the following sight #'s:

P320F 9mm #8 rear, #8 front
P320C 9mm #8 rear, #6 front
P320C 9mm #8 rear, #8 front

All of the guns are spot on at 20 to 25 yards, so they appear to have left the factory with the correct sight numbers on them.

I've had more than my fair share of Sigs in my lifetime and it held true with the ones made from the late 80's to sometime in the early 2000's that most 9mm and .357sig chambered guns had #8's on both the front and rear, and those chambered in 40S&W and .45acp would have #8's on the rear and #6's on the front.

Just an observation and a heads up for those planning on changing the sights on their P320's. Make sure you check them before ordering the new ones Wink

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10454 | Location: St Augustine | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Many have noticed the same inconsistency...

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...610014024#9610014024

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know if there is any publicly available answer as to why some Sigs that appear to be identical have different sight numbers (usually front).

Interesting that your identical P320C 9mms have different front sight numbers(8/6 & 8/8) but shoot to the same PO. May tell us the factory test fires or bore sights to verify standard sight installation.

I wonder what would happen if you swapped slides and shot the same COF?

My own P320's:

P320F .40 #8 rear, #6 front
P320C 9mm #8 rear, #8 front

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I've asked Sig CS before, was told Sig test fires the gun but only attempts to center the sights. At least two Sig gun reviews by Massad Ayoob complained that the sights were way off and that for what Sig charges, guns should come sighted in. Supposedly the RX models get bore sighted, mine came with the dot to the right of the iron sights, when I put them on top of the iron sights gun shot pretty much to where I was aiming.

Posts: 241 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would love to know why this is happening. I wonder if the slides are different or the dove cuts vary in the machining? the sights may even vary in size by a small amount. The co should be able to answer that but wont.

Posts: 621 | Location: GA | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just talked to CS at sig and they pull the slide and ck them at a random time if they need to change the # sight they do . They say they are sighted in for combat at 10 yards. They press them in with a machine that is preset for a certain place . I assume then the milling of the slide or the dove cut , OR even the sights may vary in the making. Not a lot of since answer. He first said the change them yearly , not much sense there either .
I assume its Quality control in the making of the guns and sights. I guess order what you have if you replace them.

Posts: 621 | Location: GA | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
6/8 on my compact with factory night sights.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I just ordered some 8 8 HD's for my P320 Compact, no idea on how I am going to get them on, as I don't have the correct pusher, and don't want to hammer them into position.

I'll have to check to see what is on the weapon now too, as I just went with the 9mm sights and didn't look to see if my 9mm has 8-8's, or 6-8's. Damn I'm a fool. Smile

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 454gun:
I just talked to CS at sig and they pull the slide and ck them at a random time if they need to change the # sight they do . They say they are sighted in for combat at 10 yards. They press them in with a machine that is preset for a certain place . I assume then the milling of the slide or the dove cut , OR even the sights may vary in the making. Not a lot of since answer. He first said the change them yearly , not much sense there either .
I assume its Quality control in the making of the guns and sights. I guess order what you have if you replace them.

Bet you a dollar that they have 2 boxes of front sights at the assembly station & no control over which one is grabbed.....
Just an opinion from a quality engineer that deals with Mark 1 Mod 0 human machines on a daily basis.....

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post