SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Hand gun for adaptive shooter
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hand gun for adaptive shooter Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
The other option might be a pair of Ruger single sevens in 327.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
A Beretta 86, yes it is a .380 but it can be loaded without racking the slide and carried SA.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Squishy:
I am looking for recommendations and possibly a little guidance. Due to a motorcycle accident my daughter lost the use of her right arm. She has no feeling or motor ability in the arm. It is still there, but is just a limp arm.

She is 22 now and she wants to learn to shoot. I am looking for recommendations on what handgun would be the most 1-arm friendly. I realize things like tactical reloading and malfunction clearing will be problematic, but that does not mean its not possible. She will be taking a class soon at Front Sight, but they were not able to recommend a handgun for her situation.

I know there are very knowledgeable members here that have seen about everything... So any guidance and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Roger

If she were my daughter, I would train her up with a full size, .22 caliber pistol like you suggested in one of your other posts.
Then swap out slides, and train with full size caliber.

One handed shooting, and weapon manipulations become fast, safe, and easy, when mastered.
Google Mike Pannone (CTT Solutions), buy his book, and attend any training he offers.

She is not at a disadvantage being limited to one hand.
The secret is training. Don't train until she gets it right, train until she can't get it wrong.
Not a James Yeager fan, but that is his quote above, and is spot on.

Posts: 181 | Location: NEPA | Registered: March 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
We sponsor this organizations shooting program at out club. They might offer some insight. they do some unbelievable things with their group/

http://nepassage.org/

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Squishy:
We worked on loading the magazine last night and just took it slow. Steps we were using;

if gun is in hand;
- Release magazine and allow it to drop to the floor
- Place gun back in holster on left side
- Index mag (located behind holster)
- Slide mag into gun while still in holster
- Remove gun gripping at base of stock/grip
- In one motion - move hand and seat mag on left leg being sure to keep muzzle pointed away.
- Rack gun on belt.
- Back in business

Hardest thing still is racking the gun. we have tried a few different ways and all are doable if you take your time. But in a situation where adrenaline is flowing and dexterity is not all there... its tuff... If she does a tactical reload, we do all the same, but it does not require a re-rack... She liked this obviously, but counting rounds in a stressful situation would be tuff..

At tha point you just hope muscle memory takes over and you don't rush it and make mistakes. If anyone has any other ideas or options, let me know... I am all ears when it comes to trying new ideas.

Roger

A second option is to drop the mag, get down one one knee, and place the pistol behind the knee to pinch it solid (all in one smooth motion). You become a smaller target, and can keep your head up to assess the situation while reloading.
If there is 3m grip tape affixed to the top of the slide, you can rack off if your pants, jacket, or whatever.
All of my carry pieces have 3m grip tape strips installed on top. This way, if you miss the holster edge, belt, etc, you can still rip it back easily.

If doing any of the above in a tac reload, make sure your mags are loaded down one, so it can be pressed into place, and not need to be whacked home to seat it.

Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 181 | Location: NEPA | Registered: March 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A second option is to drop the mag, get down one one knee, and place the pistol behind the knee to pinch it solid (all in one smooth motion). You become a smaller target, and can keep your head up to assess the situation while reloading.

The old Handgunner, Ltd. gunzine called that the Jaapie reload because it was first seen in IPSC competition by South African shooters.
I worked with it in the late days of Martial Artist IPSC shooting in the US and while it can be made to work, I consider it an advanced technique. The Lady of the OP might work on the basics before giving it a go.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
quote:

The old Handgunner, Ltd. gunzine called that the Jaapie reload because it was first seen in IPSC competition by South African shooters.
I worked with it in the late days of Martial Artist IPSC shooting in the US and while it can be made to work, I consider it an advanced technique. The Lady of the OP might work on the basics before giving it a go.

True, but with only one arm, it sounds like the young lady only has advanced options to deal with regarding loading, and reloading.

I have used the backwards holster technique with success, but once or twice, I whacked the gun out of the holster when I sent the mag home. My fault, for sure but the stress of the drill caused me to goof it, and I would guess I may do it under real stress.

I have seen some folks pinch it between the knees, and reload that way too.

Options are good.

posted Hide Post
To echo Pete K: The Mark IV, 22/45 Lite in 22LR until comfortable (replace parts with V's kit so trigger ends up nice and placed just right for her). Then, with essentially same grip/weight, a Colt Light Weight Commander in 9mm. As is, will shoot rather light loads!

Colt is preferred over the nice Ruger lightweight because of a better barrel and twist, and a better recoil spring, and absolutely standard parts so trigger action can be crafted for length and force to fit her. [I found the Ruger's trigger to be just a bit off from standard.]

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
take it slow. As slow is smooth and smooth is fast. And remember to have fun in all this seriousness
QUOTE]Originally posted by Squishy:
We worked on loading the magazine last night and just took it slow. Steps we were using;

if gun is in hand;
- Release magazine and allow it to drop to the floor
- Place gun back in holster on left side
- Index mag (located behind holster)
- Slide mag into gun while still in holster
- Remove gun gripping at base of stock/grip
- In one motion - move hand and seat mag on left leg being sure to keep muzzle pointed away.
- Rack gun on belt.
- Back in business

Hardest thing still is racking the gun. we have tried a few different ways and all are doable if you take your time. But in a situation where adrenaline is flowing and dexterity is not all there... its tuff... If she does a tactical reload, we do all the same, but it does not require a re-rack... She liked this obviously, but counting rounds in a stressful situation would be tuff..

At tha point you just hope muscle memory takes over and you don't rush it and make mistakes. If anyone has any other ideas or options, let me know... I am all ears when it comes to trying new ideas.

Roger[/QUOTE]

I've got a .22 lr paycheck and .41 mag tastes

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Posts: 76 | Location: Dewitt, Iowa | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I occasionally shoot with a one armed uspsa shooter. He has like a magnetic ledge that he uses for reloads. He shoots a 2011, so single action, relatively light trigger pull which is beneficial for one hand shooting, and a big magwell to facilitate easier reloads. This would probably be what I would look for in a similar situation.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Here is a list of LEFT Hand friendly firearms American Rifleman which includes the Charter Arms Southpaw and HK, FN, and Walther for semiautos. She needs to handle as many firearms as possible to find what she is comfortable with. No one on this board nor you can do that for her.

Charter Arms Southpaw MSRP $419 Charter Arms seem to be hit or miss depending on who you talk to, but with the only truly Lefty revolver on the market I'm sure a good gunsmith could make it reliable if it is not.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post