SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sight pushing tool
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sight pushing tool Login/Join 
posted
Hi all anyone use one of these they can recommend ? I was thinking about getting one if it's something worth doing or not . Thanks in advance

Posts: 120 | Location: New York | Registered: April 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What brand of firearm?

I have the MGW for Sig and it works good.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you're only going to use it on rare occasion, the Sight-Tool.com universal sight tool works fine. https://www.amazon.com/Univers...id=1611859998&sr=8-3

But if you plan on installing sights regularly, or have a large number of pistols, the MGW Sight Pro is well worth the extra money. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007109799

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I have the sight-tool.com tool. It uses allen head studs and polymer posts to secure the slide. The metal pusher pad is reversible. I secure mine in a bench top vice which makes it a bit more manageable when securing the slide.

I suggest using something to pad the slide, ie thin ABS or fuzzy VELCRO.

The MGW tools are better thought out, but not as universal as above.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
The MGW tools are better thought out, but not as universal as above.

The old style single-model MGW pushers weren't universal. Those have been discontinued in favor of the Sight Pro, which is a universal tool that uses separate model-specific inserts for each type of slide.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t see how a sight tool could be any more universal than the Sight Pro.

The SP is expensive, but I have never regretted my purchase even though it doesn’t get used very often. I appreciate the confidence of having a tool immediately to hand that will do the job properly.

There is a somewhat less expensive version of the Sight Pro, but I don’t know how the two differ.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Using it on Sig's

Posts: 120 | Location: New York | Registered: April 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a MGW Sight pro (not rangemaster as I thought). It’s 269 easily found. Cheaper if you look. If you are only going to do one or two, go cheap. This, however, is a lifetime tool. I have changed sights two dozen times at least. I’ve loaned it out to friends. It’s a cheap purchase if you look at it that way. It won’t mess up your gun or your sights. It will break loose tight sights. It is the way to go. You buy a couple cheap alternatives and you will end up spending the money anyway. MGW Sight Pro.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
We had a recent thread on this:

sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/...0601935/m/4770075874

I've been satisfied w/ the Sight-Tool.com that RogueJSK mentioned. It's $65 on eBay.

Some guys like the Wheeler sight pusher. There's one just posted today on eBay for $80 'buy it now'. Not bad, considering it's $144 new.

If you want a pusher specific to SIG P-classics, the discontinued MGW-307 is best.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
The MGW Sight Pro came out after I bought the MGW-307 so I have no experience with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you hold one you will understand. It is a solid beast. They recommend not using any kind of cheater bar on hard to move sights. I broke loose the Allen screw and just moved the rod to one side to give myself more leverage.

It’s real simple. If you will change a number of sights go quality. Eventually you will mess something up with the cheaper pushers most likely. Like my FFL did with a pair of Trijicon HD’s. That’s when I bought my own pusher.

Yes the cheaper ones can work.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an older Uni-2ool, I bought used and am pleased with it. For some slides with angled surfaces, make sure you use wedges of some sort so the tool doesn't slip.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

There is a somewhat less expensive version of the Sight Pro, but I don’t know how the two differ.

The Rangemaster Pro is what you're referring to. I have this one, the only thing it won't do are pistols with long hoods at the front of the barrel (some XDs, long slide 1911s, etc.). Beyond that same at the Sight Pro. Been just as pleased with it as you are with yours.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
I have this one, the only thing it won't do are pistols with long hoods at the front of the barrel (some XDs, long slide 1911s, etc.).

Thank you.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
My MGW sight Pro has pay for itself multiple times! I heard they make a Range pro which is slightly more affordable. Wheeler also make a version...

Posts: 1349 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I decided to buy a tool for replacing sights, I bought the Rangemaster by MWG. Both it and the Pro will do any guns rear sights. The difference between the two is the reach for doing front sights.

I didn't need anything that would have to reach any farther than the 1911 commander or a full size Sig 220 Elite, so I went with the Rangemaster

I also like that the clamp for the 220 and the 239 are the same. {even tho I had to buy others}

I put the sight combinations with both fiber optics and night sights on several guns so in order to center the push , I flattened the side of the top support {it's nylon} to give more clearance for the long fiber optic portion. {Made me feel better and didn't hurt any of the function.

I would highly recommend this sight tool. If I ever buy a long slide, I will just invest in the Pro. I believe I would just need the top and not the entire tool in order to do long slides. {not totally sure}

I like how it clamps on the rail {a true machined surface} and supports the slide on the sides too.

Posts: 58 | Registered: October 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post