SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thoughts, opinions on the P245
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts, opinions on the P245 Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
This little (relatively) gun intrigues me for some reason. What are y’all’s thoughts on them.. or the P220 Compact? Thanks!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At one time I was interested in the P245 for concealed carry, but after getting one, I realized it was too heavy, had a low capacity and was not the best gun for concealed carry. Subsequently, I sold it quickly. IMHO: it was more of a novelty, then a practical firearm.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
^ That’s kinda what I’m afraid of.

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I had one and had similar thoughts - its more of a late 90s pistol, back when smaller 45s were hard to come by and people had P220s cut down.

But now when you look how things have developed in the compact firearms / CCW market, it is a really nice SIG that doesn't really compete well.

I sold mine as well - actually I think I tried that twice, lol. Sold both times.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Yep.. it’s a nice looking handgun, I hate to be vain... but it’s on the list of reasons why I’m attracted to certain pieces. It appears as if it’s a gun who’s time has gone.

I appreciate the input!

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I had one and had similar thoughts - its more of a late 90s pistol, back when smaller 45s were hard to come by and people had P220s cut down.

But now when you look how things have developed in the compact firearms / CCW market, it is a really nice SIG that doesn't really compete well.

I sold mine as well - actually I think I tried that twice, lol. Sold both times.

Nail on head. A great gun. But there are better CCW offering out there.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I really wanted one until I shot an M&P Shield in 45acp. The Smith is a full half pound lighter.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
It is what it is - a metal frame, hammer-fired, "compact" gun in 45acp. In that category, I can't think of a better option out there, past or present.

Mine has been 100% reliable. Compact 1911s, on the other hand, aren't known for their reliability.

If you typically prefer poly, striker-fired guns, it's probably not for you.

I love mine and wouldn't part with it. For me, it shoots just as well as the full size P220 and accepts the same magazines.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Had one, traded it on a 1911 c3.

Difficult trigger, stiff DA, short grip made keeping it steady difficult, I like my P200 but the P245 was one I wanted to like but couldn't warm up to it.

There are better, lighter 45 carry options... JMO

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going with the consensus in this one. I also bought one shortly after they were introduced. The P220 has been my favorite SIG since I found out about them.

I couldn't warm up to the P245 though, as much as I wanted a smaller frame .45 to pair with my P220.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1925 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Short grip frame has the heel digging into my palm. I got mine cheap, so I'm thinking about swapping slides and making a carry out of a fullsize.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eclayton
posted Hide Post
The P220 is my favorite semiauto pistol and I bought a P245 back in the early 2000s as a companion for CCW. It is a great gun and I had no problem with the weight or capacity. But I never liked the grip length, which was too short for my hand. It concealed fine but not much better than my P220. I still have it but I have better carry guns and it will probably never get carried again. At the range I use 8-round factory extended magazines which basically turn it into a short-slide P220.

Posts: 312 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: October 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
Nail on head. A great gun. But there are better CCW offering out there.

I had the same reaction.
Friend of mine has one, we would shoot together several weeks in a row and he brought his as I was thinking hard about getting one.

After several sessions, I liked it but, it wasn't practical for CCW compared to others out there. It's a lot of pistol for a 6+1. My understanding the P220 Compact is its replacement, still a lot of pistol.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have both- the 245 is noticeably less bulky and I like the lack of an accessory rail as compared to the 220C. Both are plenty accurate but unfortunately are eclipsed by smaller, lighter CCW options.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I find myself inexplicably attracted to the P245. I've never handled, or even seen one in person, but I want one. I like the P220, I like compact guns, and I like .45s ...makes sense that it would be a good fit. In theory I could see it putting a metal-framed handgun back in my carry holster, at least off-duty.

But then again, this is all in my head, because I've never put hands on one. How does it compare in size to a P229?

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Tool or toy? As a tool it is far eclipsed these days by any number of better options.

As a toy it’s great. It’s a bit odd in that it’s not super common, it shoots well, can be dressed up with grips of your choice and yeah it’s the red headed step SIG but sometimes it’s kinda nice to bring a different girl to the ball.

It’s a great gun but not strictly if you are looking for a tool.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes there are many other practical 45acp carry alternatives to the p245. Two that I like are the G30s and the M&P Shield .45. But I really like my p245 and will never rid of it. It shoots great, it looks great and it is a classic Sig Sauer.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Here is my poor lil’ red headed one. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the replies.. wise as always.

Picture of Deputy 617
posted Hide Post
It doesn't always have to be measured as though whichever gun we are examining will be our only gun. The P245 is a classic, all metal SIG Sauer DA/SA pistol, chambered for the potent .45 ACP cartridge. The gun is heavy, the grip is short, capacity is pretty low. Still, the heft of an all metal pistol lime the P245 can be comforting at times.

As a stand alone, one gun to rule them all type pistol, the P245 is lacking. But, as a high quality, compact .45 ACP that brings a little class to your concealed carry pistol lineup... It holds its own quite nicely. This is especially true for those who prefer a bigger bullet.

SIG SAUER...... Get you some!

Posts: 369 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post