posted
Null

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dwd1985,

Posts: 4454 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
you could use the same slide...

The sub-compact has a shorter slide than the compact and carry. 3.6 inches vs 3.9 inches.

Therefore, I really don't think there is a sweet spot other than being able to go from compact to carry easily as that just involves magazines and the grip module.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4989 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say sweet spot in its G19 like size plus the ability to drop the Compact slide into a SubCompact frame with no difficulty. 2 out of 3 right there!

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
Can anyone confirm that the P320 compact would be the "sweet spot" for modularity in the platform? Specifically because with a new grip module and mags, you could use the same slide to move up in size to the "Carry", or down in size to the subcompact. Is this correct?

That's correct. You can configure the Compact to be roughly equivalent to a Full Size or Subcompact, just by swapping the grip and magazine.

quote:
Originally posted by steve495:
quote:
you could use the same slide...

The sub-compact has a shorter slide than the compact and carry. 3.6 inches vs 3.9 inches.

Yes, but the Compact slide can be used just fine on the Subcompact grip module. You get the benefit of the shorter and easier to conceal grip, just with a slightly longer slide (3/10ths of an inch).

And if you use the Medium railed subcompact module, you can even use normal Compact/Carry holsters with that configuration.

Here are examples of all three configurations, using the same Compact slide and FCU, and just swapping the grip and magazine:

Compact Slide, Carry Grip, Full Size Magazine

Compact Slide, Compact Grip, Compact Magazine:

Compact Slide, Subcompact Grip, Subcompact Magazine

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say the Compact gives more versatility, if the owner needs/wants it. I bought all of my P320 stuff before the X-Change kits went up in price.

My own configuration is as follows:

1) Started with a complete P320 Compact 9mm.

2) Bought a SubCompact Small (no-rail) Grip Frame Module (GFM). Big difference in bulk of grip and slide is only 1/2" longer than the native SC pistol. Nice balance. Bought one SC 9mm mag for carry and use two Compact mags for spares.

3) Bought FullSize .40 X-Change kit, since I shoot a lot of forty. One benefit is that if the gun is set up as a native Compact 9mm, the 9mm slide can be removed and the FS .40 slide popped on. No need to swap the FCU into the FS GFM. Convenient, who cares if the FS .40 mag sticks out at the range. Again, Bought one Compact .40 mag for carry and use two FullSize mags for spares.

In essence, I have three quite different pistols that meet my needs.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The modularity of P320 depends, in part, on whether one can buy grip modules that fit you. A competitor bought a P320F9RX and it took six months before a fitting grip was available - SIG local agent was helpful.
By contrast, one can buy a S&W M&P M2.0 "Compact" for under $410 that is almost exactly the size of G19 and the M2.0 comes with (in the box) four (4) back plates.
If "Med." fits, you are OK. Otherwise, more $ if you can find the right grip module.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say the Carry is. You can use the 17 rounders in a Compact or SC. But you can't use the 15s in the Carry. So buy a Carry with two 17s, a Compact module and one 15 rounder. Use the 15 in the Compact and the 17s as spare.

Or you'll just find out the Carry isn't much different to conceal and just stay with the most capacity.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
......I think the cheapest way to have Carry, compact and subcompact is to buy the subcompact, then grip modules and mags to your personal preference.

The SubCompact slide is too short for the Compact/Carry grip frame modules. Unless you're into hacksaws...

Regarding "value", X-Change kit prices plus the 9/40/357 vs 45 incompatibility, Sig screwed the pooch on the value side of the modularity benefit.

At the time I bought my .40 X-Change kit (Feb 2015), I paid $240. It was $300 minus the old 20% discount when registering a new pistol. Then the MSRP went up to $400. Now the kits are discounted at $351 (TGS).

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I disagree. If anything SIG initially screwed themselves by pricing the exchange kits too low. The word at the time was that they couldn't make enough barrels and slides to keep up with kit demand and production of the guns. Something had to give and it was the kits, since SIG is a gunmaker first and foremost. Besides, if a new buyer couldn't get their hands on the gun, what good is the kit to them?

Frankly SIG would be better served if they also offered the trigger module alone (akin to a AR lower receiver), then allowing the buyer to purchase whatever components he or she wanted a la carte.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Actually, we agree. I was speaking from the pure "value" POV the OP was referring to. Having spent decades in business myself, I have no problem with any manufacturers business decisions. First rule of business is that you've got to make money to stay in business. One complication in the modularity concept is juggling production, inventory and sales. It's not easy.

The price spread between X-Change kits and a complete pistol in the early P320 years was reasonable enough to fit into the modularity concept. The $100 increase in the X-Change kits put a dent in that. In value terms, it's the differential between the complete pistol and X-Change kit prices that determines whether a kit or complete pistol provides better value for a given customer.

Wholeheartedly agree on the separate purchase of FCU's. Presuming rational pricing, that would truly benefit the modularity concept. Along with 9/40/357-45 compatibility. With my current P320 setup, I'd buy a new FCU in a heartbeat, if they were available. Maybe we'll see something from Sig in the future.

posted Hide Post
I have both the P320 Compact and M&P 2.0 Compact. I carry them both and rotate them on a regular basis. I have a Apex Flat trigger and forward set kit in my M2.0. It is absolutely phenomenal! Both are exceptionally accurate, and reliable. The M&P slide is a little longer than the Sig. The Sig P320 Compact grip is a little taller than the Smith. With 15 rounds of 124 grain Federal HST in each gun the Sig P320 after the trigger upgrade is 33.5 ounces, the M&P M2.0 Compact with 15 rounds of same ammunition and the Apex Flat Fwd trigger kit installed weighs 33.8 ounces.
To conceal they do the same to me. The M&P slide seems a little more narrow. You can’t go wrong with either.
I agree about buying additional FCUs for the Sig P320. You can find them on gunbroker occasionally for around $250- $300 range. I have a 45ACP FCU and run a 9mm exchange kit on it with no issues.

Posts: 172 | Registered: January 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I have the P320c, with a subcompact grip frame. It is the "sweet spot" for carry, IMO.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I started with the 320c. Then I added a full sized kit for it as well. After mixing and matching, what I've found I prefer is the "Carry" grip frame. The small size Carry just feels better in my hand than the Compact grip, and I don't find the extra quarter inch or so of grip that difficult to hide given my normal mode of dress. I like the aesthetics of the shorter dust cover with the full size slide better than the full size frame. Since my 320c was FDE, and so is the Carry grip module, I get a two tone look when I run the full size slide, but I actually kind of like it.

I really like the 320 and I'm glad that the only issue since getting mine back from Sig has been a slightly fiddly reassembly. Rumor has it that a certain local municipality might be changing issue weapons to the 320 in the near future as well...

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
I like the aesthetics of the shorter dust cover with the full size slide better than the full size frame.

Same here.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$25 17 rd magazines and grip modules, where ? I've never seen them lower than $33 /mag and $40 grip module.

That said Compact is the most vesatile slide length to have. You can do Carry, Compact and Subcompact grips with corresponding mags. You CAN use the 21 round mags as well (don't worry about the stupid X-Mag spacer)

You can also do a Full size grip or even an X-Series Grip (weighted or unweighted) + threaded barrel and a comp.

Posts: 59 | Location: Fairfax, VA 5min to NRAHQ | Registered: August 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post