SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Fast Sight from Graham Combat
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fast Sight from Graham Combat Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Interesting product,

We're proud to introduce to you the Graham Combat FAST™, a single focal band mechanical sight. We have been developing and refining FAST™ technology for over two years, and in the process have discovered some pretty cool new science: focal bands. We uncovered - and have since defined - focal banding as a series of focal planes that, when combined, are physiologically perceived to be in focus. The patent-pending FAST™ is the first mechanical sight that utilizes the unique geometry of focal banding. Focal band sighting technology exponentially increases speed and accuracy. The Graham Combat FAST™ sight is the mechanical equivalent of a holosight or heads-up display with the benefit of no batteries, no glass, no failure. Just FAST™

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?...h34&feature=youtu.be

Posts: 23436 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Kinda looks like the ASP sight.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kinda looks like the ASP sight.

That's what I thought as soon as I checked out the video. The Guttersnipe sights on the ASP pistol done by Paris Theodore in the 60s.

What do they say - "Everything old is new again"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have been developing and refining FAST™ technology for over two years,

Confused Isn't this the same as the Quick Sights Caracal's been selling for years, and that were developed (at least for Caracal) by Wilhelm Bubitz?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Confused Isn't this the same as the Quick Sights Caracal's been selling for years, and that were developed (at least for Caracal) by Wilhelm Bubitz?

Looking at images online, yes. It looks just about exactly like that.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Silliness

Posts: 204 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not HSLD/BTDT, but I watched the video and had some thoughts...

1. Holster compatibility?

2. The video showed how quickly shooters could acquire targets by showing a demonstration in slow motion...?

3. When they did show shooters shooting at speed with the system, it didn't look like they were shooting noticeably faster than shooters I've seen using conventional sights. And I don't think they ever showed what hits they were getting on target, unless I missed it.

4. They were talking about how the FAST sighting system automatically aligns on target and how conventional sights require some adjustment left or right to get the sights lined up. Isn't proper alignment a function of getting a proper grip before you even bring the gun up to eye level?

5. Am I the only one who noticed some less-than-desirable muzzle discipline?

Anyhoo...

It might be interesting to try out, but I think I'll stick with my plain black sights and target-focus approach for now.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
My guess is that like so many other things, this is a tradeoff. You're simply sacrificing longer range accuracy (because of shortened sight radius, in spite of him saying to the contrary) for short range acquisition speed. Whether this is a good tradeoff, and it very well could be, is up to the user and what kind of shooting he wishes to optimize for.

This is also not a new idea, short sights have been seen before in actual production.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16343 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When it comes to innovation in handgun sighting, I believe the future is in smaller, more rugged and dependable optic sights.
I am waiting for this to come to pass and always read anything the hive posts on optic sight use on handguns.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
less gimmicks, more practice.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't criticize things I haven't tried. The concept makes sense. The video could have been a lot better especially for its length.

Ideally, the shooting portion should have been live fire with the shooters doing a drill on a timer with conventional sights, then same drill with the "Fast Sight." If the sight is better, faster times with same (or close enough to it) accuracy by same shooters with same model gun would be a win.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
From what little time I had with the Caracal F before it was recalled, I got the impression that I'd need a little time with the set-up before I'd really notice if it were slower, faster or the same. That's not necessarily a deal-killer; the same is true of Steyr's trapezoidal sights and I wound being really happy with them.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of talk about how different sights are on a rifle versus pistol in regards to distance from rear to front sight. But their system moves the rear sight on a pistol forward what? Two inches? Three max.

My point is that the rear and front are already very close on a pistol. I'd like to try out one of their sights, because proof is in the pudding. But good shooters with traditional sights shoot as fast as anything they have on their video.

But you are right, Strambo. I'd try them out.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have to side with the "gimmicky" crowd. This is all old stuff, coming around as "new", "revolutionary" again.

Every so often the gutter sights come back, every so often the pyramid comes back, every so often the ghost ring makes a come back. Another company markets it as the "greatest" "fastest" and so on.

And out of all these designs, the people that shoot things for a living stick with conventional sights. Usually black rear with either a tritium or fiber optic front. A fair question would be that the guys that would knock teeth out to be a 1/10 faster. A millimeter more accurate. You'd have to think that at least one guy at the top level would be taking advantage of these sights that come out from time to time as being the "fastest" and whatnot. And no one does. And I don't buy into the "group think" theory to where this is how its done, everyone else is doing it this way, so this is how I'm going to do it. That doesn't exist at that level. Anything for an edge.

And everyone shoots traditional sights even though these "revolutionary" designs come and go.

Yeah, I'll pass too.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
^ Of course, I'm talking about the divisions that use iron sights. Obviously, optics have become quite popular, and in divisions like open they have come a long way.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Did I just watch 14 minutes of product demo without even seeing the product?

How does it attach to a pistol?

How does the attachment method ensure alignment
to the barrel?

How does a sight of any type "fix" poor trigger motion, recoil anticipation, etc.?

I find with certain pistols that my front sight is naturally aligned with my rear sight. I call these pistols "Sigs."

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like he took the concept from Wilhelm Bubits and the Caracal quick sight. Bet that is patented already.

Posts: 1153 | Location: Decatur, GA | Registered: November 14, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
More silly gimmicks for people who can't shoot. Standard sights work just fine.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post