SIGforum
P320 Rifling

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/8810045024

March 05, 2017, 08:44 PM
bcjwriter
P320 Rifling
Does anyone know what kind of rifling is used on the P320 barrels? I'm hoping to use some factory loaded lead rounds (some old stuff I had laying around...) at the range.

Are they like Glock barrels where lead ammo is verboten?

March 05, 2017, 09:28 PM
Texaspoff
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
Does anyone know what kind of rifling is used on the P320 barrels? I'm hoping to use some factory loaded lead rounds (some old stuff I had laying around...) at the range.

Nope standard conventional rifling, shoot way with your lead bullets. I would follow a good cleaning regiment to prevent much buildup.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com
March 06, 2017, 07:20 AM
Steve 22X
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:

Ballard style rifling.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward
March 06, 2017, 07:37 AM
sigfreund
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:
Ballard style rifling.

Which has “Ballard” rifling? Confused

I wasn’t familiar with the term until a few minutes ago, but after a little research, I don’t see how either the Glock or the P320 has that style of rifling. Ballard seems to be a term that only Marlin uses to refer to something that has conventional lands and grooves (unlike the Glock “polygonal” style), and is different from its Microgroove style.

Or is “Ballard” what we’re now supposed to call conventional land and groove rifling? If so, I’m going to mark it on my calendar as the day I learned that another old proprietary term has been repurposed to mean something different and its new use will now be a sign that someone really knows his guns. Wink

Ahem. The rifling in my P320 barrels looks just like other SIG barrels. It’s always struck me as being a little shallow and that might require somewhat harder alloys in unjacketed bullets, but could contribute to their accuracy otherwise.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
March 06, 2017, 08:04 AM
Nipper
Depends on how old the old stuff is. If you go back 30-35 years ago most of the factory lead was very soft and usually swaged. It would lead anything.

I reload and shoot mostly lead in all my guns, Glocks included. You will get a little bit of leading on some guns, which ususaly cleans up easily.

1) Use hard cast lead bullets. Mine are Brinnell 21.

2) Keep velocities mid-range and lower.

3) Clean the gun after each range session.

That's it.

BTW, the stuff about not using lead in Glock polygonal barrels is bunk. I won't bother going into the history. Just follow the rules above. Actually, my Glock barrels clean up better and have less leading than my Sigs and 1911's.

BTW, DO NOT shoot jacketed and then lead without cleaning in between. The copper film will attract lead. Also, a Chore Boy scouring pad can be used to clean up any stubborn leading. Wrap a piece around an old brush. Chore Boy is all copper, so there is no risk of damaging the bore. Don't use the stuff that is made of steel with a copper wash.

March 06, 2017, 01:30 PM
9mmepiphany
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:
Ballard style rifling.

You might want to rethink that.

Ballard rifling is just a name that Marlin used for conventional rifling...it comes from the Ballard target rifles Marlin produced.

The 320 uses standard land and groove rifling. It isn't polygonal rifling and certainly isn't that hybrid rifling that Glock uses

No, Daoism isn't a religion