SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Q about P230 in 7.65
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Q about P230 in 7.65 Login/Join 
Picture of JamesD
posted

Long time. Hope everyone is doing well!

My question concerns the differences, or not,
between the P230 in .380 vs. 7.65mm.

Specifically re: the magazines.

Are they interchangeable?
Same magazine work in the .380 and the 7.65?

Maybe a follow up question, but this'll get me started.

Thanks!

JamesD

Let us to't pell-mell.
If not to heaven, then hand in hand to hell.

- Richard III Act V, Scene III

Posts: 494 | Location: Georgia [up in the mountains] | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
It is generally accepted most of the 7.65mm P230's available stateside were contract overruns intended for a Japanese law enforcement agency. Other than the addition of an external safety and lanyard loop, they are identical to the .380 models. If memory serves me, I believe the magazines are interchangeable.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same mags

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the reason why the P230 mags work for both 32acp and 380acp is because it is a single stack. I have a double stack Beretta 81 (32acp) and the mags for the model 84 (380) don't work.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P230 is my grail .32acp

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JamesD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
P230 is my grail .32acp

Certainly not everybody's cup of tea, Scurvy.
But if they speak to you... yep, they are quite cool!

Let us to't pell-mell.
If not to heaven, then hand in hand to hell.

- Richard III Act V, Scene III

Posts: 494 | Location: Georgia [up in the mountains] | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JamesD:

Certainly not everybody's cup of tea . . .

Once the darling of law enforcement in Europe, over here .32 auto has stood in the shadow of it's younger sister for many years. If a pistol is available in both .32 & .380 (think Colt Pocket Hammerless, Walther PP/PPK, Mauser HSc & etc.), I always preferred the original caliber which was typically .32 auto. I previously owned the .32 caliber P230 pictured in my above post. As expected, it was top quality while it's Japanese LE roots combined with the large lanyard loop give it somewhat of a paramilitary flair. I currently own a P232 in .380 auto. While the P230/P232 platform is a relatively large pistol for either caliber, given the choice between the two I would select the .32 auto based upon the cool factor alone.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
P230 is my grail .32acp

Certainly not everybody's cup of tea, Scurvy.
But if they speak to you... yep, they are quite cool!

After inheriting a 1903 pocket hammerless and a FN 1910/22 it seemed like a great excuse to start a little .32 collection. Got me a cz70 and Beretta 81 to add.

Savage 1907, Mauser hsc, vz61 and p230 are all on my list.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
quote:

Certainly not everybody's cup of tea . . .

Once the darling of law enforcement in Europe, over here .32 auto has stood in the shadow of it's younger sister for many years. If a pistol is available in both .32 & .380 (think Colt Pocket Hammerless, Walther PP/PPK, Mauser HSc & etc.), I always preferred the original caliber which was typically .32 auto. I previously owned the .32 caliber P230 pictured in my above post. As expected, it was top quality while it's Japanese LE roots combined with the large lanyard loop give it somewhat of a paramilitary flair. I currently own a P232 in .380 auto. While the P230/P232 platform is a relatively large pistol for either caliber, given the choice between the two I would select the .32 auto based upon the cool factor alone.

I agree with this and the "cool factor". I can't tell you how cool it is to shoot one in .32 because this one is un-fired.

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I had one. It was neat but ultimately I dumped it because it was not reliable enough for cc.

The two blued mags held 8 rounds and fed ok but I got intermittent misfires.

The stainless mag bought separately also held 8 but would not feed reliably.

Neat pistol but I could not trust it.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
the magazines are identical. I have two sealed SIGARMS P230 .32 mags still in bags and comparing them against others, no different and are not marked for caliber. There are differences in mags over time but not specific to caliber differences.

I love my P230 Japanese overrun but heavily modified it to remove the frame safety and rebounding hammer. It now has a very nice trigger. I also had AAGW swap a NOS P232 .32 barrel in my P230SL and they needed to open the extract slot to fit the older, large style.

Both are flawless in operation and very nice to shoot. Peak Walther PP type, IMHO and I own two Walthers and two CZ-83's...all in .32/7,65B

All these shoot 32acp save the one 87BB in 22LR (the 85BB and BDA have a barrel swaps)

Posts: 3082 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^Very nice collection right there.

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love shooting .32. My favorite is my Beretta 70.It's so much nicer to shoot than the .380 I own in the same model.

Superb collection, PGT.

Posts: 1699 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post