SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W 457 A lot of bang for the buck.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 457 A lot of bang for the buck. Login/Join 
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted
The S&W 457 is one of the last 3rd gen pistols produced. Production ending around 2007-08. It is a compact, hammer fired, aluminum framed TDA pistol around the size of a G19. It is thin and light weight. Capacity is 7 + 1.

I have owned several examples of compact 45 pistols from all the manufacturers of same. HK USP45 Compact, G36, Sig P245 and XDs 45. I no longer own those guns. I kept the 457. I have also shot but not purchased several other compact 45s. The Kahr CW45, shield 45, G30 and G30s. None of them impressed me more than the 457, so I passed on those guns.

The 457 is a very comfortable 45 compact to carry and shoot. It is accurate enough for government work. Mine will put 7 rounds of RA45T into a sub 3 inch group at 15 yards slow fire off hand. I dont shoot it byond that distance because there is no need to. The 457 is a bad breath to 21 foot defensive pistol. And at those distances it will do its part if you do yours.

I have been carrying mine regularly at my part time gig at a local gunshop on the edge of Indian Country. I have other "nicer" 45s I could use. And sometimes I do carry the CS45 or 4513TSW. But for the most part it is the 457. Because it is bet your life reliable and easily replaced should it wind up in an evidence locker.

The 457 never really became as popular as some other compact 45s. I dont know why. They are always available for sale on the auction boards. For sub 500 prices. Mas Ayoob always said the 457 was a very underated pistol and a best buy in the compact 45 class. I agree with him. The 457 is a lot of bang for your buck. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sold one to a customer back when Sports Authority still sold pistols. His shooting buddies all came in and asked if we could order more. It shot well, carried well and was a good price to boot. The customer always bragged about it when he came back to buy ammo. I had under judged it because it was part of the "Value" line.

Posts: 4539 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried one as my main concealed pistol for a number of years in the mid to late 90's. Traded it off but it never failed in any way and shot very soft for a smaller .45
Great pistol.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one that I bought used in 2004. It was a great little gun and I had planned to use it for concealed carry but, as was the case for me back then, my eyes wandered and I traded it for something else. I don’t remember what I traded it for and, in retrospect, I wish I had held on to the 457.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always been curious about them, and have always contemplated getting one.

I have read about them online but never knew anyone personally who owned one.

I see them occasionally on trading sites and always contemplate getting one.

I have always wanted to shoot one to try it out, but like I stated I never knew anyone who had one.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like mine quite well and I'm glad to hear I didn't over pay as much as I thought I had. Wish magazines were a little cheaper though.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2729 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mrapteam666,
If you see a 457 in good shape for a decent price I’d suspect you wouldn’t be disappointed. Because the bore is a bit on the high side it may flip a little but, otherwise, they are a good gun to have.

I keep an eye peeled in the pawn shops around here for both a 4506 and a 457 but I haven’t had any luck. However, if I were to find one I wouldn’t hesitate to bring it home.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a friend get in a shootout with one versus a 12 gauge 590. My buddy survived killing the guy with his last two shots that were center mass. His complaint after this was low capacity however it still got the job done.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Is the 457 basically the blue version of the 45 chief special?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

No it's bigger than that. The Smith and Wesson 4506 was the full size all steel. The 457 was the compact or mid-sized alloy frame. The CS45 would be the smallest or sub compact alloy frame. The 457 was in the "value" line along with the 9mm 908 and 910.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've wanted one of these since they were introduced but some other gun always gets in the way. Maybe some day.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3501 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

Same size as the 4516, but has a alloy frame. Like the 4513TSW but no fancy stuff.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Bought one years ago after reading a review from Mas...great carry pistol.

Traded my first pistol a USP 9 for it it straight up during the Clinton years

Wish I still had it

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
The 457 is the aluminum framed, light weight alternative to the 4516. Dimensionally identical to the 4516 the 457 came about due to requests from LE and gun writers for a lighter weight alternative to the 4516.

S&W was reluctant to produce such a gun due to concerns about frame strength and service life of such a pistol. I spoke to a fellow who use to work for S&W once. He was involved with the 4516 and on the periphery of the aluminum framed compact 45 program. He told me that they tested the prototypes out to 25K rounds with no failures of the frame. And he declared that the wear was not substantial.

S&W used the same 45 compact aluminum frame for the original 4013 pistol. That gun was a single stack holding 8+1. There were also plans to make a 10mm compact carry gun using the same frame, but those were discarded shortly after the debacle with the FBI 10mm guns.

The 457 is slightly bigger than the CS45 and original 4513TSW. I own examples of both those models and carry them frequently. While the original 4513TSW with the cut out grip frame and 6 round mag is my favorite pistol and most frequent EDC, the 457 has many of the same qualities and carries one more round.

I went back and forth with the grips on my 457. The rubber Hogue grips make the 457 easier to get a firm grip on and easier to shoot well, but they take away from its concealability. The factory OEM Delrin grips are nicely thin, but slippery, to me. So I settled on the factory grips with a textured rubber grip sleeve. Best of both worlds. Makes the 457 anchor in my hand during firing while still preserving its thin profile.

I have used my 457 for instructing those who were contemplating smaller 45 carry guns. The 457 is very tolerant of a new shooters poor grip or unlocked wrist. I have seen it snap upwards and torque to the left in a shooters hands who disregarded the instructions on how to properly grip the gun. Yet it still fed and functioned. Given the inexperience of some folks and their inattention to proper grip, stance and control of the pistol, its reliable function was all the more remarkable.

The 457 is also reliable with every round I have fed it. Including old WWII 45 ammo that was "donated" by families of passed veterans who didnt want the ammo in the house. Some old rounds with green verdigris around the bullet fed reliably in the 457. Rounds that would have choked some of my 1911s or other brands of pistol.

While it is sometimes hard to find a 457 to rent and shoot before buying, should you come across one for sale buy with confidence. Ive yet to come across one that was not reliable. And they are still largely a bargain when found. With the possible exception of the late production stainless 457. Seems folks are proud of those models. Wink Regards 18DAI

posted Hide Post
I also bought a 457 new back in 2006-2007 time frame. I picked it up the same morning I had to re-qualify for my CHL. Took it straight out of the box and a little Rem Oil on the frame rails and it ate a box of 50 for the qualifier w/o a hickup. First time to ever shoot the pistol (1911 prior to that day) and at the 3 and 7 yard distances, there was just one ragged hole in the target. The DA pull was easy to live with and at 15 yards DA, only pulled one shot out of the 9 ring. It is one gun I will never part with

Posts: 168 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One day at a time
Picture of RANGER20
posted Hide Post
I had one years ago and completely agree with your assessment. Never failed to work and accurate.

Like the 3914 or 3913... 9mm Perfect for CCW

Posts: 5499 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Dammit now I want one...

Posts: 3126 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I’ve been looking at one for a couple of months for $440.00 it’s in great condition but it’s so ugly. Maybe I should get it anyway. I’ve never shot one but I am building my 3rd gen collection.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
The 457s beauty lies in its performance. Wink Regards 18DAI