SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Wilson Combat P320 grip frames
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Wilson Combat P320 grip frames Login/Join 
Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of BucFan
posted Hide Post
Man that looks good, sigarms.

Does your 17rd mag have the old base pad with the circle or the new one with a square peg?

Sig P229R 9mm - Sig P365 NRA
Sig P320C 9mm - Sig P320 FS .40

Posts: 1045 | Location: FL | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
BucFan,

It's the new style 17rd mag and unfortunately I cut the ears off all my old style ones so I can show you a pic of an intact old style in it.

Also I just noticed the gun isn't fully into battery as it looks like the grip is longer than the slide. When its fully in battery the slide is slightly longer.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I got back from vacation a couple hours ago and my grip (carry) was waiting for me. I definitely think it’s an improvement over both the standard and the x frame. The x-compact frame in particular is way too slick for me. I hope Wilson comes out with an x-compact size soon. If they don’t, I’m almost certain I can chop down the carry frame and have it work. Anyone have any input on if I’m correct or mistaken on that?

The shape is different but not earth shattering. I prefer it, but it’s not like the shape of the two Sig grips was awful.

The mag well is better, but I’m one of those guys who never saw much need for a big ‘ol magwell on a double stack.

I give it two thumbs up and think it’s well worth the $60 if only for the stippling, but I do like the shape better too.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Proof of concept. I need to confirm it shoots, but I don't see why it wouldn't. I wish I had left a little more on the grip so the gap was smaller between the grip and floor plate, but it's fine until Wilson makes a factory one for me. I looked on their website and they said they plan to make one for the X-Compact, but didn't say when...so off to the saws/dremel/file I went tonight.

The thing that took the longest was filing a new "magwell" so the ears on the mags would fit inside. If it shoots, I'll spend more time with some fine sandpaper and getting everything nice and perfectly smooth, but I'm not putting in the time until I know it shoots.

For those who will ask, "but why?" I simply say why not? Stuff like this is fun to me. So if you're so inclined to give it a go, here's how my effort turned out.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
... I definitely think it’s an improvement over both the standard and the x frame.

I'm curious why you prefer this over the X-Frame. Would you elaborate?

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
quote:
... I definitely think it’s an improvement over both the standard and the x frame.

I'm a big 1911 fan and this is feels a bit more like a 1911. However, the major reason is that the Wilson grip is more "gripified." I find the X-Compact grip to be really slick. The full size on my Legion is okay, but X-Compact is smaller (less diameter) than the other X-grips and the darn thing never had enough traction imo. Small circumference + next to no stippling = gun slipping too much for my liking.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Proof of concept. /snip

Your Compact looks good.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
quote:

I'm a big 1911 fan and this is feels a bit more like a 1911. However, the major reason is that the Wilson grip is more "gripified." I find the X-Compact grip to be really slick. The full size on my Legion is okay, but X-Compact is smaller (less diameter) than the other X-grips and the darn thing never had enough traction imo. Small circumference + next to no stippling = gun slipping too much for my liking.

Makes sense. Thanks.

My concern is the beavertail of the Wilson looks to not allow the hand to grip as high as the X-Frame does.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
The two frames are identical in grip height at the beavertail. I was comparing them last night and I think they’re exactly the same. I’ll grab a pick later to illustrate.

posted Hide Post
quote:
The two frames are identical in grip height at the beavertail. I was comparing them last night and I think they’re exactly the same. I’ll grab a pick later to illustrate.

Oh weird. Looking at the pictures it seems the Wilson has a lower beavertail than the X-Frame. Looking forward to your pics.

Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Proof of concept. I need to confirm it shoots, but I don't see why it wouldn't. I wish I had left a little more on the grip so the gap was smaller between the grip and floor plate, but it's fine until Wilson makes a factory one for me. I looked on their website and they said they plan to make one for the X-Compact, but didn't say when...so off to the saws/dremel/file I went tonight.

The thing that took the longest was filing a new "magwell" so the ears on the mags would fit inside. If it shoots, I'll spend more time with some fine sandpaper and getting everything nice and perfectly smooth, but I'm not putting in the time until I know it shoots.

For those who will ask, "but why?" I simply say why not? Stuff like this is fun to me. So if you're so inclined to give it a go, here's how my effort turned out.

Why ask why. Why did I cut a Legion frame down to fit the X compact. Cause someone wanted to see if it could be done.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great WC, now make em out of stainless steel...

Posts: 62 | Registered: January 02, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
esdunbar, you sir are a genius. I would never have spent 65 bucks and tried cutting one. Now I might give it a shot. Just leave a bit more on the grip apparently. Nice work. Did you cut it down or sand it down?

Posts: 7342 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I cut it on a ban saw and then filed it down from there.

posted Hide Post
I just received the wilson basic carry frame (no safety, and put it on a compact. I really like it. I'll shoot it tomorrow.

The mold seam that some questioned is there, but it's been polished down and then appears bead blasted. The texture on the front strap and back strap is more aggressive than the standard P320 frame or the x-frame, but to me, feels just right. I love the way it feels in the hand.

I'd thought as shorter, compact frame might be the way to go, but I really like this; it fits my. hand perfectly.

I thought that the grip module took the x5 style weight, but it doesn't. One could epoxy small rods in the back, but that's it. I see now that the Wilson site has a question and answer stating as much, so perhaps I read it wrong. It doesn't matter much, though I'd have rather it took the grip weight. The groves at the back of the mag well are rounded to take rod and retain it, though I doubt it would add much weight.

I'm quite pleased with the product as delivered. It's less bulky than the original standard medium frame; Wilson advises it's closer to a small frame. Whatever the case, it fits in the hand better and feels like it wants to stay put.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There have been threads raising the question of how much we've spent by participating on SIGforum. Well, add this to the list for me.

I'm very impressed with the grip, perfect fit for my hands. Will take it to the range ASAP.

It demonstrates an advantage of the fire control group architecture, you can change the grip without risking the frame (Glock). If you change your mind or something better comes out, it is a quick swap.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I cut it on a ban saw and then filed it down from there.

Great effort - looks perfect.

I only have the full-size P320's: M17 Surplus and Bravo, so I ordered the black carry version with safety cuts. It should be a keeper for one or the other.

Posts: 5 | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ran it today in an IDPA match. I really like that grip module.

The module is tapered , thinner at the back than the front, not just an oval like the standard P320 grip module.

The way the undercut is done by the beavertail, higher, it makes it easier to choke up on the grip a bit more when taking the grip at the holster, and it really stays put in the hand. There's definitely more going on with the grip module than just texturing. Subtle, but very nice.

posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried the Grayguns grip module? Wondering how the three compare.

Posts: 180 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several Grayguns sculpted grip modules, including apparently the one TXG grip they had, which I have on a P320F for steel night.

The Grayguns grips are attractive, and provide excellent traction, while not interfering with clothing if carrying concealed. I'm going to order one for a pocket P365 here at some point before too long.

They seem to sell out of them quickly, once they get them in.

I have a number of Grayguns parts in various pistols, including triggers and trigger packages, guiderods, grip modules, etc. Even their armorers block. Everything they make is quality.