SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    GLOCK 19 gen 5. Mag cut out
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GLOCK 19 gen 5. Mag cut out Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
Did GLOCK stop cutting out the mag well on the grip? I hated that cut out on the 19. I have seen a few gen 5s without it. Is it an option or did they change?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
The G19 Gen5 MOS comes without the half moon cutout.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
The G19 Gen5 MOS comes without the half moon cutout.
Yeah, I'll buy a G19.5 as soon as they make it standard or offer a non-MOS version of some type.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. Think Glock decided to get rid of the Gen5 cut out. Just saw a bunch here in Smyrna they all had no cut out and front of slide was beveled like a G26 for carry.

Posts: 268 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glock was likely waiting for most / all of the cutout frames to sell before making the widespread change, while leaving it only on the MOS models to start.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I bought a frame and slide separately on GB just so I could have a non MOS gen 5 without the cutout. I’ve been waiting for them to officially get rid of the cutout before buying another 19 or a 17.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah I thought about doing that but I like my G19.4s fine, so it's not worth the trouble for me right now.

Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
With the longer magazine basepads, the cutout doesn’t bother me in the least. I guess I’m the minority.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, on my G19.5 with the half-moon cut-out that pinched my finger, I solved the problem with a Zev Magwell adapter. It turned out pretty nicely and no more pinched little finger.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I had to bevel and sand down the edge on the cut out, doesn't bother me now, but in a high round class it was drawing blood.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How hard is it to find that ZEV magwell? I like the looks of it.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I kept getting mag changes held up on it with my 17. Then I punched my pinky on a 19 reload...I’m never buying a half moon cut Glock again.

I’m very glad they’re giving us options without it.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just installed the Pearce grip enhancer base plates that have the half moon filler and that took care of the issue. It gives the grip a nice finished look and feels good.

Posts: 614 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
How hard is it to find that ZEV magwell? I like the looks of it.

Direct from Zev, the one specific to the 19.5 is the one I ordered and now on my G19.5.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Well at least Glock seems to be more proactive nowadays. Remember the cries of foul over the Gen5 front slide bevel/no frame bevel last year? That one went bu-bye pretty quick.

Glock misjudged how the Gen5 grip needed to be. They heard all of the moaning about how the Gen2 grip was oh so great and how when the Gen3 finger groove style came along they FUBAR'd it all to hell. The whining only got louder when the Gen4s continued those wretched ridges (yeah I wuz one of those whiny types). So if the Gen2 grip was so cherished, then make the Gen5 after the one so many had placed on The Pedestal. Only the problem is that time warps peoples' collective memories. When the Gen2 was the only game in town, more than a few shooters back then carped about the cutout (though I wasn't one). Glock back then apparently wasn't listening...or conveniently forgot.

So they rebooted the Gen2 front strap, only with a grip that has a shorter length of pull. Folks of today REALLY started noticing that cutaway, even more so than in the days of the Gen2.

Smyrna, we have a problem.

So the MOS G19G5 goes live and Glock addresses the issue. And soon G19G5s (and probably G17G5s as well) all over will likely get the same redress. Lo and behold, Glock is actually listening AND acting upon it...for once.

But then again, there's a LOT more viable competition today than there was in the 1990s. Glock can't afford to rest on its laurels. Other companies are carving away at that pedestal of theirs. And they MUST be feeling it.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Supposedly, the rationale for the cutout was to more easily extract a jammed mag.

First, the chances of a jammed mag are quite low. Likely culprit would be a partial failure to chamber with the round stuck between the mag lips and rear of chamber. This generally requires the round to be freed up first, before extracting the mag.

Second, the cutout itself is in a terrible location. Most of your grip pressure is fore and aft, front strap and back strap. Not a location you want to put a cutout. Makes you wonder. Did this come from a marketing genius or a gun designer?

When the Gen5's were introduced, I had considered replacing my Gen4 G19 with a Gen5. After I read about the cutout I said fuggetaboutit. Glock ended up with a net zero. Good - no more finger grooves. Bad - cutout on front strap.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Wasn't the Gen 5 basically the civilian version of the M models, built for the FBI competition (which they won)? I think they spec'ed a cutout to allow a jammed mag to be striped. The Gen 5 carried that along.

quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
Supposedly, the rationale for the cutout was to more easily extract a jammed mag.

First, the chances of a jammed mag are quite low. Likely culprit would be a partial failure to chamber with the round stuck between the mag lips and rear of chamber. This generally requires the round to be freed up first, before extracting the mag.

Second, the cutout itself is in a terrible location. Most of your grip pressure is fore and aft, front strap and back strap. Not a location you want to put a cutout. Makes you wonder. Did this come from a marketing genius or a gun designer?

When the Gen5's were introduced, I had considered replacing my Gen4 G19 with a Gen5. After I read about the cutout I said fuggetaboutit. Glock ended up with a net zero. Good - no more finger grooves. Bad - cutout on front strap.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Danged if I know. I have enough trouble keeping track of all the new civilian pistol variations, much less the military and the FBI. Razz

Sounds like something the FBI might do though. Ever try to "strip" the mag with a cartridge stuck halfwfay up the snout? Crowbar anybody? Maybe an FBI approved crowbar. Blade-Tech could make a belt holster for it...

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Looking at pictures of the M models, they do have the grip front cut out.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Mystery solved. Maybe the mags got stuck when you were operating in the sandbox...