SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 bought from Gunbroker
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 bought from Gunbroker Login/Join 
posted
So, I just purchased a West German P220 Serial Number G192 465 with all of the cool proof marks from a guy on Gunbroker. Great price, but now I need to put in the labor. It has some holster wear but the trigger and slide/frame fit are excellent. I already have all of the springs / screws / pins for the takedown. For reference, I am an 8 year Sig owner, first gun ever purchased as an adult was a Sig P228R in 2010, own 9 Sig pistols, and have taken down and cleaned out a P228R with full spring replacement except for the mainspring a few months ago (not my first one, I now have two and they are great pistols).

My problem is that I have "new grips" on this beauty. I need to find some "old grips" or I need to change out the mainspring. I am having some issues finding the complete package. I was able to find a new style "HAMMERSTRUT-4" but only the E2 mainspring seat. I was thinking about converting to either "New style" or E2 configuration but I understand that this means that the hammer must also change.

Is this true? Because I want to keep the original hammer. If so, where can I get durable grips that are not the $200 Nil wood versions?

Thanks in advance. I will try to attach pictures if allowed.

Posts: 1 | Registered: September 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Waffles
Picture of cherokee2u
posted Hide Post
If you mean grips like these, they come up for sale here from time to time. May also want to check eBay

A shepherd must tend his flock....and at times fight off the wolves

Posts: 2988 | Location: Carolina | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Welcome to SIGforum. From the serial number you provide, your KC coded P220 would have shipped from the factory with the older style spur hammer, black checkered grips and an all steel hammer strut/mainspring assembly. If your pistol is in it's original factory configuration (with the exception of the replacement grips you mention), finding original grips for your pistol should not be a tremendous challenge. Be aware however SIG introduced the reinforced P220 receiver in 1993. Therefore, grips from pistols manufactured after serial number G 211299 will not "fit" your pistol's frame (even with modern mainspring pieces and parts installed). Please post a few photos so we can see what we're dealing with. Thanks!

Left: pre serial number G 211300.

Posts: 3503 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Houge offers some checkered aluminum grips for any DA/SA P220 with the mag release button on the side. Starting from the West German models all the way to the 10mm with no fitment issues that I have noticed.

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post