SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Installed "D" mainsprings in Beretta 92FS and PX4: trigger pull results inside
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Installed "D" mainsprings in Beretta 92FS and PX4: trigger pull results inside Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
Beretta 92FS Brigadier DA OEM trigger weight before the swap: ~11.5-12 lbs.
SA ~6 lbs.

9mm PX4 Storm OEM DA trigger weight before the stop ~10.5 lbs
SA~6 lbs.

Beretta 92FS Brigadier DA trigger weight after installing the Ed Brown 1911 Competition 19# mainspring: ~8.75 lbs.
SA~5.25-5.5 lbs.

9mm PX4 Storm DA trigger weight after installing the Beretta D 8000/PX4 mainspring ~9.5 lbs
SA~5.5-5.75 lbs.

Opinions: In the 92 this is a must do. I've put the factory D spring in all the 92s I've had, and the Ed Brown spring seems at least as good and probably better than the factory D spring. In the PX4 the improvement is not as dramatic but it definitely measures about half a pound to a pound lighter, which is good, particularly for such an easy and cheap mod. I might try snipping a coil or two off the mainspring in the PX4 to see if I can get it down a bit.

So far since the modifications I've tried three types of factory ammo and some S&B and CCI primered reloads and both pistols pop all primers without issue.

Video for any interested, but it's all summarized above.
https://youtu.be/fKJS6QLbBeg

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have installed D springs for years and they are a great improvement. If you have 165 bucks sitting around, Langdon trigger in a bag is phenomenal. Depending on your 92 fu, 15 minutes of your time and you basically end up with a straight up custom pistol trigger job. I added a flush reverse crown stainless barrel, FO sights, etc etc.

D springs are a great inexpensive upgrade but the TJIAB is worth looking into.

If I can figure out pictures again I will add to this.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Interesting...
With the PX4, I know of folks that took a Wilson Combat 12 lb chrome silicon spring for a 92 and cut almost 3 coils off of it. That spring is a little longer than the standard hammer spring that comes in the PX4. So basically it was cut down to almost the same length as the factory spring. The report was the DA was well under 6 lbs and No light primer strikes. PX4 is an under appreciated platform. Have fun with the trigger tweaks..

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put a D spring in a 92 and it improved the d/a pull a little. I put one in a PX4 and it was magic. The PX4's d/a pull wasn't bad by any means but it went down to a very smooth 8lbs and a crisp 4lb s/a pull. It's definitely the cheapest and easiest way to a noticeable improvement for this very underrated pistol.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
TJIAB

For the price this is the best ‘gunsmith trigger job’ on the planet.

I had never taken a 92 apart - when I owned a 92FS Brig in the mid-90s, there was no internet to tell you how to do such things - but it took me about 45 minutes of slow methodical work, none of it hard, to install TJIAB by Langdon in my newly acquired 92A1. I’m sure I could do it in an easy 20-30 the second time around.

I went with the 14# mainspring, even though they say with the Wilson Combat trigger bar you can do 13#. Simply amazing pull in DA and SA.

When it costs you $100+ to ship a gun to a gunsmith plus $250-400 for trigger work, the TJIAB is the answer for a 92 owner who isn’t also looking for other custom work.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 96 Inox Brigadier and been thinking about making it a little better. Have Houge Aluminum checkered coming, and Wilson Combat Ultimate Action Tune Kit, Wilson Combat Short Reach Steel Trigger for starters, I am going to try to polish the hammer a sear. Trying to learn more about the barrel crown. Wilson Combat and Ernest Langdon have some nice Beretta's

Posts: 6 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had never taken a 92 apart -s - but it took me about 45 minutes of slow methodical work, none of it hard, to install TJIAB by Langdon in my newly acquired 92A1. I’m sure I could do it in an easy 20-30 the second time around.

When I installed mine in my M9A1, it was the first time I'd ever really taken a pistol all the way down outside of pushing pins on a Glock or M&P.

I think I actually commented to piedrarc and Jones just how easy it REALLY was for my "first time". Big Grin

It also made taking my 228 down for our video and putting Bruce's Self-Defense PPAK a TON easier. Wink

quote:
For the price this is the best ‘gunsmith trigger job’ on the planet.

Truth.
In research for an article, I looked up what just the parts alone would be and the TJIAB is only $35 more. Eek
$35 for hand stoning and polishing by Ernie. Wow.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I had the ability to use a PX4 Compact 9mm today before and after the “D” spring install. What a difference! Significantly improves the draw stroke and dynamics of the pistol.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I installed the D and G spring kits on my Beretta. I really don’t understand why Beretta doesn’t make the D spring kit standard and offer more G options with their pistols. It really improves them IMHO.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I agree. My only conclusion is liability concerns.
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
I installed the D and G spring kits on my Beretta. I really don’t understand why Beretta doesn’t make the D spring kit standard and offer more G options with their pistols. It really improves them IMHO.

War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
^^
I was about to say I'm sure you can thank a lawyer for the 20lb mainspring.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Interesting...
With the PX4, I know of folks that took a Wilson Combat 12 lb chrome silicon spring for a 92 and cut almost 3 coils off of it.

Wow. I have a Wilson 12# mainspring in my PX4 and the single action trigger pull is so light (to me) that I wouldn't even consider cutting it.

Posts: 4075 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

If I am not mistaken I think the D spring is standard in the M9A3. I just bought one and the trigger pull is very good and I've tried all the Wilson and Langdon mainsprings in other 92s over the past few months. For me, the stock trigger pull on the M9A3 is so good I don't feel any need to change it.

Posts: 4075 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
No need to tempt perfection Wink
quote:
Originally posted by cyberiad:
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Interesting...
With the PX4, I know of folks that took a Wilson Combat 12 lb chrome silicon spring for a 92 and cut almost 3 coils off of it.

Wow. I have a Wilson 12# mainspring in my PX4 and the single action trigger pull is so light (to me) that I wouldn't even consider cutting it.