SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Request for pictures of completed "voluntary upgrade" slides (P320)
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Request for pictures of completed "voluntary upgrade" slides (P320) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
Interesting about the long cut. The slide would have to travel a lot more to operate the disconnector. Don't imagine it'd matter live fire, as the slide would be traveling fully rearward, but for dry fire it seems it would require pulling the slide a good deal rearward to reset the trigger. Not just nudging it back a little to recock the striker. But I don't have that kind in hand to investigate.

That is exactly what happens with mine. The slide has to come back about 1 1/2 inches before the sear will be released.

Posts: 573 | Location: South Texas | Registered: January 31, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
So you are asking where from here? If I understood correctly with actual ammunition it worked fine but if you simulate firing and retract the slide slowly you can induce a malfunction. Is that about correct?

What the holy fuck people. Do what Sig told you to do, shoot your gun. If it ACTUALLY malfunctions get a label and send it back. And who cares if you can trick fuck the gun into a malfunction that doesn’t happen while actually using the gun.

You people are a bit insane.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a "dead trigger" thread recently. Maybe related?

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Report This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
Left to Right this is a 320X5-9-BAS, 320F-9-TSS-RX, and 320C-9-FDE
Not as helpful since the first two are factory milled for optics, but still interesting to see the differences.

NONE of these have had the upgrade performed yet.

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Report This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
It does seem like the preexisting lightening cut will make the functionality of the disconnector vary a bit. Is there an industry standard for how far from full lock up a pistol should be before the disconnector kicks in? Wish I’d taken pics of mine before I sent them in now.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackimoe:
There was a "dead trigger" thread recently. Maybe related?

If you're referring to mine back just before the drop issue became known, the upgrade fixes the possibility of a dead trigger.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

posted Hide Post
SIG sent a Fedex shipping label for my pistol. Shipped it out this morning. Hope they will replace the slide. Time will tell.

TBK

Posts: 573 | Location: South Texas | Registered: January 31, 2007Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
One thing I found on my pistol after the upgrade was that the slide needed to travel further rearward to reset the striker. Pre-upgrade, when dry firing, I could cycle the slide just slightly more than a Glock to reset the striker. Post-upgrade the slide had to move almost fully rearward (just about next to slide lock) to reset. I figure that is the new disconnector working. As long as the slide moved fully to the rear (like during recoil) there were no issues.

posted Hide Post
The reset will depend on what version of the P320 slide you have, specifically if it has lightening routs or holes, and where. I was aware that there were at least three different versions of P320 slide with regards to cuts, but photos posted on various forums now make it clear that there are at least six different varieties.

If your slide has a long rout cut out on the bottom right side, the divot that SIG mills into the slide to accommodate the disconnector will likely run into that rout. That means that the disconnector will not get pressed down to reset the trigger until it has reached the forward end of the routed channel, which is close to the breech block.

Slides that do not have that long, right-sided cut out will allow the disconnector to reset the trigger as soon as the head of the disconnector leaves the little pocket at the rear end of the slide.

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pblanc:
If your slide has a long rout cut out on the bottom right side, the divot that SIG mills into the slide to accommodate the disconnector will likely run into that rout. That means that the disconnector will not get pressed down to reset the trigger until it has reached the forward end of the routed channel, which is close to the breech block.

This makes complete sense and is how my slide is configured. Thanks for the excellent description.

posted Hide Post
I really liked my P320 compact but I think I’m done with it at this point and the straw that broke the camels back is the lightening cuts made to the underside of the slide solely at the request of a large customer. What does it say about a company if they are willing to alter their product for a single customer and don’t even do enough testing to see if it effects reliability before selling it to everyone else? Please see jljones’ posts in this thread if you aren’t aware of what I’m referencing https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6750048524. And why have so many changes been made over the life of the gun? Off the top of my head I can think of the following parts that have been changed:

Trigger for trigger bite on some early guns
Second trigger for accidental discharge when dropped
Slide milling and additional parts for true drop safety
Slide release
Grip frames to accommodate new slide release
And now the lightening cuts done to the underside of the slide that were later removed

Maybe I’m just bitter because I have one of the early guns that has the lightening cuts that negativly effect reliability and the old style slide release that isn’t compatible with current grip frames but I won’t be buying any more Sig products and I’ll probably trade my p320 for an M&P 2.0 compact sometime soon.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pblanc:
The reset will depend on what version of the P320 slide you have, specifically if it has lightening routs or holes, and where. I was aware that there were at least three different versions of P320 slide with regards to cuts, but photos posted on various forums now make it clear that there are at least six different varieties.

Slides that do not have that long, right-sided cut out will allow the disconnector to reset the trigger as soon as the head of the disconnector leaves the little pocket at the rear end of the slide.

An excellent description of the issue with my full size 9mm P320. The law of unintended consequences applies here. Sig should replace these slides.

Posts: 237 | Location: PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Good Lord, I sound like a Sig fanboy/apologist which I am not but here goes. If you buy a new style grip module it comes with the new style slide release which is backwards compatible. The old style won't work with new, I agree, but they send an included one with the new style grip so your complaint is a bit off point. You do just sound bitter. Send your gun in. If it isn't reliable after the upgrade then contact Sig. This post, correct me if I'm wrong, started with a problem that the owner never evne fired the gun post upgrade.

It does "appear" that the version that has lightening cuts could be problematic. Having read nowhere where anyone actually fired the damn thing and had problems though still puts this in the "appear" category. Shoot it and let us know if it doesn't work.

By the way, we could fill up pages and pages with the changes manufacturers make on their guns over the course of production. All done for a variety of reasons from keeping a big customer happy to simplifying production. Your list isn't even close to being a big list. Glock and S&W MP's alone would melt your keyboard with the mods and complete changes that they have made, sometimes for no apparent reason.

You guys are dangerously close to sounding like pissed off 16 year old girls who have hit their data limit.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
It does "appear" that the version that has lightening cuts could be problematic. Having read nowhere where anyone actually fired the damn thing and had problems though still puts this in the "appear" category. Shoot it and let us know if it doesn't work.

The next time I get a pistol that obviously has mechanical problems, I will personally invite you to fire it, so you can prove your point. I will not be liable for damages when you lose an eye or have to have someone remove pieces of metal from your body.

TBK

posted Hide Post
quote:
Good Lord, I sound like a Sig fanboy/apologist which I am not but here goes. If you buy a new style grip module it comes with the new style slide release which is backwards compatible. The old style won't work with new, I agree, but they send an included one with the new style grip so your complaint is a bit off point. You do just sound bitter. Send your gun in. If it isn't reliable after the upgrade then contact Sig. This post, correct me if I'm wrong, started with a problem that the owner never evne fired the gun post upgrade.

By the way, we could fill up pages and pages with the changes manufacturers make on their guns over the course of production. All done for a variety of reasons from keeping a big customer happy to simplifying production. Your list isn't even close to being a big list. Glock and S&W MP's alone would melt your keyboard with the mods and complete changes that they have made, sometimes for no apparent reason.

You guys are dangerously close to sounding like pissed off 16 year old girls who have hit their data limit.

I could go on regarding other Sig products that have followed a similar development cycle. Any one remember the Sig MPX gen 1 vs gen 2 debacle? What about Ron Cohen running Kimber’s product quality into the ground prior to coming to Sig? My point is that I’ve seen enough from the company to have determined that the P320 issues are not a single screw-up but rather it’s become standard operating procedure for Sig to release a product and then fix it later with revisisions that might make early guns incompatible wih new parts. I have no interest in buying products from a company that operates that way.

posted Hide Post
Like I said, 16 year old girls. Your “obvious mechanical defect” is a lightening cut that a ton of these things have. Did you actually fire it? Nope, you are absolutely convinced that would be dangerous. Fine, it’s your gun but if your are asking then by all means send that gun to me and some ammo. I will shoot all of it and film it for your viewing pleasure. You act like it will blow up due to the new upgrade. Worst case if you shot it and it was defective the sear would never reset. Oh scary.

posted Hide Post
By the way, you keep saying it doesn’t function properly. You haven’t fired it so are you saying that when you rack the slide while dry firing that the sear doesn’t reset? What exactly isn’t working? I am trying not to be snarky, failing perhaps, but the non stop parade of founded and un founded complaining is getting old.

posted Hide Post
quote:
By the way, you keep saying it doesn’t function properly. You haven’t fired it so are you saying that when you rack the slide while dry firing that the sear doesn’t reset? What exactly isn’t working? I am trying not to be snarky, failing perhaps, but the non stop parade of founded and un founded complaining is getting old.

Rave on. Sig Sauer and Grayguns both seem to agree with me. The gun is on it's way back to Sig Sauer as I write this. I fully expect a slide that will reset the sear "properly".

TBK

posted Hide Post
A number of P320 owners who had slides with the long right sided rout who have fired their modified pistols have seen a ding or dent at the muzzle end of that rout where the disconnector head has obviously hit it. They have not reported any malfunctions. But SIG does not seem to be milling a ramp at the front end of the rout for the disconnector to ride up on in a gentler fashion. Perhaps there isn't room to do so.

The concern that has been voiced is that this arrangement might result in accelerated wear to the disconnector head. Time will tell.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
With all the different slide variations, no doubt there will be some hiccups along the way.