SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Request for pictures of completed "voluntary upgrade" slides (P320)
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Request for pictures of completed "voluntary upgrade" slides (P320) Login/Join 
posted
I am looking for pictures of the bottom of P320 slides that have been thru the "voluntary upgrade." I want to see the rear of the slide where the cutout was made for the disconnecter. I am not happy with mine, and would like to have pictures to compare to.

On my P320 the slide has to travel approximately 1.5 inches before the disconnecter is activated, and the disconnecter has to make two elevation changes with sharp edges. I have not shot it.

Please send to bjensen_913@comcast.net (see profile).
Thanks,

TBK

This message has been edited. Last edited by: turtlebaykid,

Posts: 573 | Location: South Texas | Registered: January 31, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a shiny divot, what's there to be unhappy about?

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
It's a shiny divot, what's there to be unhappy about?

I think you are right, but mine is not a shiny divot. Please send me a picture of yours. Thanks.

TBK

Posts: 573 | Location: South Texas | Registered: January 31, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds dirty, show me yours and all but I'll play along. This time.

posted Hide Post
The amount of milling is heavily dependent on which version of the slide you have.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScopeX5:
The amount of milling is heavily dependent on which version of the slide you have.

Can you elaborate on that? You obviously know more than I do.

Here is a picture of mine, and it doesn't function properly.

Sig.P320.slide.03

TBK

posted Hide Post
Thank you BuddyCryst. My slide is nothing like yours. I'd bet yours works like a charm, too.

Hope to find out how many slide variations there are. This may be interesting before it's over.

TBK

posted Hide Post
My slide looks exactly like the photo from BuddyCryst. turtlebaykid it appears that your slide has had more extensive milling which was done before the upgrade as it is black like the rest of the slide. Do you remember the milled out area before sending the gun in for the upgrade?

Posts: 237 | Location: PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I recall a thread about earlier P320 9MMs have an extensively milled slide, but I forget the reason why.

Mine had it (like Turtlebay’s) but I no longer own it.

Picture of P6shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by turtlebaykid:
quote:
Originally posted by ScopeX5:

Can you elaborate on that? You obviously know more than I do.

Here is a picture of mine, and it doesn't function properly.

Sig.P320.slide.03

TBK

You say that it's not functioning properly.. What is it doing?

Posts: 820 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 10, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
There are at least three versions of P320 slide. The original, which I believe is represented by the above photo, had longitudinal routs or "lightening cuts" milled into the slide bottom on both sides, a long one on the right, and a shorter, slightly wider one on the left.

The second version got rid of the long cut on the right side. Instead of a longitudinal cut on the left near the breech block, there were two cylindrical holes in the same position. The net effect of the cylindrical holes was removal of a bit less metal.

The third version had no lightening cuts. If anybody knows the above to be incorrect, feel free to correct me.

Jjones has stated on this forum that the original lightening cuts were done to accommodate a large client who wanted the option of shooting very light weight frangible 9 mm ammunition. The light slide however, resulted in excessive slide velocity which resulted in failures to extract/eject in some P 320s, so they were "phased out".

posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for your contributions to this thread. Things are starting to come into focus, and SigSauer is looking into the problem. I edited the original post to indicate the problems that I saw. If anyone has more pictures, I would like to see them.

Picture of P6shooter
posted Hide Post
turtlebaykid, I read your post over on the other thread. You had a problem taking the gun apart initially but it did come apart. You haven't even fired it yet. SIG Customer Service told you to fire it. I would suggest the same thing. Shoot the gun. Things are new and tight in it right now. I bet it will perform just fine and taking it apart will get easier. I've owned 3 HK VP9's and all 3 of the guns took a lot of fighting to field strip when I bought them. They eased up considerably after getting some rounds through them. The thought never crossed my mind to send any of them back to HK just because they were hard to disassemble out of the box.

Posts: 820 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 10, 2013Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you haven't shot it, how do you know it doesn't function properly?

Shoot it, then go from there.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’m also still curious to see a report on how the OP’s gun functions when fired.

But as for the differences in slides and modifications thereto, something I haven’t seen discussed is the possibility that they revolve around whether the slides are for guns chambered for 9mm or for 357/40. P226 slides for the two versions differ by the amount of material that’s machined away to make them the desired weights. Has anyone considered that? Is there any difference?

(I don’t have both types to answer my own question.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47396 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
My second P320 came back today, it is a full size 9mm with the same long milled cut as illustrated by the turtlebaykids's photo. When removing the slide I had to push it off the frame. When dry firing I could ride the slide with the trigger held back and not get a consistent reset. I took it outback and put 50 flawless rounds through it. No issues. However if I hold the trigger to the rear and recock slowly, it has a dead trigger and doesn't reset. Now when firing the pistol, the slide moves rapidly and resets the trigger. If I move the slide aggressively, it will reset.
Where to from here? I don't know, the gun functioned fine, but the slides with the long milled section present different characteristics from other P320s.

Posts: 237 | Location: PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
This is not my slide. But this shows a huge difference in milling that is possible on the slides.

Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
This thread has more info on the pre-upgrade slide milling differences. Unfortunately the important pics were killed by photobucket, but the text is still good until it prunes away!

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6750048524

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Report This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
It sounds dirty, show me yours and all but I'll play along. This time.

Now that's funny!

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting about the long cut. The slide would have to travel a lot more to operate the disconnector. Don't imagine it'd matter live fire, as the slide would be traveling fully rearward, but for dry fire it seems it would require pulling the slide a good deal rearward to reset the trigger. Not just nudging it back a little to recock the striker. But I don't have that kind in hand to investigate.