SIGforum
Opinion on Finish for Stainless 226

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/8770080334

November 12, 2017, 03:49 PM
carriganzl
Opinion on Finish for Stainless 226
Hey All,

What is your opinion of finishes for a 226ST? The main reason is rust prevention. I'm leaning towards Grayguns Superblack, but I am also considering CCR CPII.

Or should I just leave it alone?

SCUBA Diving, going down is what we do best.
November 12, 2017, 04:02 PM
WARPIG602
Id leave it. Mine has never had nay special treatment and has the stanless shiny worn shiny in many places and not a hint of a problem.

November 12, 2017, 04:38 PM
GaryBF
I agree with leaving it as is...unless you don't care about resale value. Your gun; your call.
November 12, 2017, 04:52 PM
Il Cattivo
You may find that Superblack and CCR's treatment offer you much the same results. FWIW, I have had a few stainless parts Superblacked and have been very happy with both its appearance and durability. SIG can also Nitron stainless steel for you despite the fact that SIG gives its stainless steel some kind of coating or another. The Superblack will look better and be more uniform.

As for leaving it alone, why? Is anyone making money on used 226STs out there?
November 12, 2017, 08:28 PM
rock185
I had a P226ST, and did not refinish it. I like stainless guns in general for their rust resistance and ease of refinishing when wear appears. Obviously, a quality coating will add another layer of rust protection. But FWIW, any of the new Hi-Tech coatings are going to be degraded wherever metal bears against metal, or metal impacts against metal.....

NRA Life
November 12, 2017, 08:56 PM
ziggy308
Use Renaissance wax on it. found ebay

need to post picks for item up for sale
November 12, 2017, 09:41 PM
hudr
I’d leave it. There have been a couple of coated “ST” Model SIGs in the classifieds that I have passed on for the sole reason that they were coated.
November 13, 2017, 02:53 AM
BuddyChryst
One of the nice things about a stainless finish is it's easy to tidy up. I got a P230SL PD trade in that was dinged up a bit. A bit of cautious filing, a blast cabinet and wet fine sandpaper and she's beautiful.

As others indicated, if you ever decide to sell, any refinish is likely to hurt value or turn away potential buyers completely.

My question would be, if you didn't want the stainless look, why buy the SL? Just for a heavier frame?

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy
November 13, 2017, 08:22 AM
quote:
Originally posted by carriganzl:
Hey All,

What is your opinion of finishes for a 226ST? The main reason is rust prevention. I'm leaning towards Grayguns Superblack, but I am also considering CCR CPII.

Or should I just leave it alone?

Leave it alone. Take good care of it, and it won't rust.

Q

November 13, 2017, 03:17 PM
carriganzl
I think I will leave it for now. I just put a 9mm slide on in that I bought that is nitron finished and I am rather digging the reverse 2-tone! Perhaps down the road I will have a change of heart but I am liking the looks of it now.

Thanks all!

SCUBA Diving, going down is what we do best.
November 13, 2017, 03:24 PM
Factor8
quote:
Originally posted by carriganzl:
I think I will leave it for now. I just put a 9mm slide on in that I bought that is nitron finished and I am rather digging the reverse 2-tone! Perhaps down the road I will have a change of heart but I am liking the looks of it now.

Thanks all!

I love the look of my reverse 2 tone 226 SSE. Congrats!
November 16, 2017, 03:25 PM
jimmy123x
The whole point of stainless is that it takes A LOT for it to actually rust and the rust can be removed easily if it does.....just keep a light oil on it and you shouldn't have any issues....or use nevr dull on the exterior
November 17, 2017, 11:16 AM
giz55792
Why not just have it bead blasted and shoot the crap out of it.
November 17, 2017, 11:28 AM
Ruger Redhawk
I'd leave it as it is. If you have a problem then worry about it. I have some stainless S&W's
and Ruger's that I've Glass bead blasted. That's probably my favorite finish. I'm sure more will get blasted as they show use or age.
I give all my carry guns whether Blued or stainless coats of Johnson Paste wax. Since I started doing that for about 2yrs now I have no holster wear to speak of. I do them once or twice a month while I watch the TV. A very inexpensive way to protect your guns.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***