SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why do people not understand the appeal of thin guns?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do people not understand the appeal of thin guns? Login/Join 
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I'm guessing people want to be able to use the factory 10 rounders in their non-x 43s.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by parabellum:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
What I don't get is why the G43x is thicker than the G43 and mags don't interchange

I think the 10 round capacity was a design directive for the single stack format and that could not be achieved in a gun with the width of the 43 and stay the length of a G19. Besides, that stupid shelf on the 43 is uncomfortable as hell.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I’m all in on these. The 365 is too small in the grip for me. I don’t like the paper thin LC9 grip either. The G43 is pushing it. To go from that to a G19 ( which I love btw). Is a big stretch.

Also, slide width had a lot to do with comfort all day. That determines the holster width. The G43X goes head to head with G26. Short and fat or light and lean. Choice.

The G48 is going to be a sleeper even with the bitchers and moaners. Truth is 10+1 with a slim spare mag is plenty for CC. The longer slide is gong to be fine for hip carry and I bet it’s a shooter knowing what I know about the G43.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will end up with a G48. I like thin single stack guns.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
One factor that may come in to play is that some folks have smaller hands than others.

Works great for washing dishes or reaching that #%^( 10mm socket that escaped into the fan shroud, but not so much with a Desert Eagle.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My issued duty weapon was a Glock 23. I'm one of those afflicted with a below average sized hand. If Glock had made a single stack in 9mm/.40 S&W the height/length of the 17/19/22/23 I would have campaigned the department to let me carry one. My reach to the trigger on the 22/23 was just a bit more than was ideal.

Posts: 19 | Registered: January 02, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I do not understand the appeal of thin guns. With one caveat. If you are pocket carrying because it is your only option. The newer XDS sized Glocks really have no appeal to me. I don't want to piss people that choose small guns off, but it is the honest answer to the question asked.

I don't carry a gun around the house. I have enough guns hidden here and there that I really feel confident in getting to one if I need one. But, I carry a gun every place I go outside of the house. I carry a mid sized double stack pistol, with a spare 15 round magazine. The reasons are simple. Thin guns are really hard to shoot at a high level for just about anyone. You just aren't going to get solid .20 splits and .25 transitions out of any thin gun. The simple mechanics of size and weight fight against the shooter.

To me, it's not about just carrying a gun. It is about performing with the gun when the need arises, which should be the hows and whys of how we choose carry guns. For many, it is not and I get that. But, I do not understand the appeal of carrying something that is much harder to perform with. And I guess that I never will. I've been to two school shootings in my career, and a small gun is better than no gun, but a gun that you can exert a high level of control with is always my choice. I was on duty and obviously carried a rifle both times, but in this day and age, you never know where it is going to happen. I thought once I went to the first one, I wouldn't respond to a second. Sadly, I was wrong. And that shapes my opinions of gear and equipment choices.

The guys that like thin guns, REALLY like them. The Springfield XDS is an extremely popular pistol for detective carry and off duty carry where I work. It just isn't for me.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I'm guessing people want to be able to use the factory 10 rounders in their non-x 43s.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by parabellum:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
What I don't get is why the G43x is thicker than the G43 and mags don't interchange

I think the 10 round capacity was a design directive for the single stack format and that could not be achieved in a gun with the width of the 43 and stay the length of a G19. Besides, that stupid shelf on the 43 is uncomfortable as hell.
then why not use all the space and 1.5 stack it and gain 3 or 4 rounds? I'm sure there's a good reason why they didn't but danged if I can think what it is. Maybe the mags wouldn't work.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
What I don't get is why the G43x is thicker than the G43 and mags don't interchange. IF they want to go slim, GO SLIM. True single stack mag. This is weird. The G43 is already wider than it needs to be.

Yes, totally agree. It's like, why is a G19 mag wider than the mag on my Ruger 22/45? So annoying!
snarky comment aside, it's a lot wider than is strictly required by a stack of 9mm bullets. If you're going for slim and concealable, why not actually do it? Why make it almost as wide as a double stack?

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Thin guns are a major plus in an urban environment where keeping the gun concealed is a high priority. IWB unit for me must be slim. The G26 is a very good carry but is too brick-like for IWB. The new Ed Brown KC9 is a slim 1911 that fits the bill for me.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I switched to a P239 from P229 not so much because of barrel/slide length but because of the thinner single stack grip.

I agree w/ the OP as many people often comment that the P229 is not that much bigger. I have to say at the end of a long day, it can be apparent.

Now, the 43X and 48 do have me curious. I don't want something as small as a 43 grip so these seem like a possible compromise.

Posts: 7351 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I prefer a thin pistol, like my PPS with 7 round magazine, for maximum concealment and all day comfort also especially if I am going to be walking or moving about a lot. I do CCW my Glock 19 quite a bit also and it is fairly comfortable especially if I am able to sit a lot.

I definitely see the appeal of the Glock 43X and 48, especially for those limited to 10 round capacity.

Posts: 9743 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I was a the local blue label dealer here today talking with them about the 43X and 48.
I know I'll get at least one if not both, just because! And no I don't carry much at all during the day even for work. But around the property its my G45.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
What I don't get is why the G43x is thicker than the G43 and mags don't interchange. IF they want to go slim, GO SLIM. True single stack mag. This is weird. The G43 is already wider than it needs to be.

Yes, totally agree. It's like, why is a G19 mag wider than the mag on my Ruger 22/45? So annoying!
snarky comment aside, it's a lot wider than is strictly required by a stack of 9mm bullets. If you're going for slim and concealable, why not actually do it? Why make it almost as wide as a double stack?

I sincerely apologize. I wasn’t trying to be snarky, I was being sarcastic. It’s just physics man. If they made it a true single stack, it would be taller than it already is. They obviously decided a slight stager was worth the width to keep it G19 size.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Jones I get what you’re saying. I like longer grips on guns because I can draw and shoot them better. My draw is slow and inconsistent with a G43. Most folks don’t practice their draw at all...except in the bathroom mirror twice a year when they want to see how cool they look.

So clearly size affects performance (quit laughing you perverts). The more proficient you become, the more the impact size has I’d assume. I’ve shot courses of fire with a shot timer. I doubt most here have. .20 splits and .25 translations are extremely fast. My guess is that only a handful of people on this board can do that...and hit anything.

I’ll run a course with my G19 and with my 48 when I get it. I’ll report the impact on times. My guess is that at my level of proficiency, it ain’t gonna be much. I could obviously train more to get better, but given the demands of my job, my wife and three children (8, 6 and 3.5, they are also why I don’t have guns stashed around the house) more time at the range isn’t happening anytime soon.

So yeah, I get your point and appreciate it. I didn’t consider the elite shooters being effected by the thinner grips, but it’s a valid point. For me, I doubt I’ll find it a difference maker, but will be curious to see.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I do not understand the appeal of thin guns. With one caveat. If you are pocket carrying because it is your only option. The newer XDS sized Glocks really have no appeal to me. I don't want to piss people that choose small guns off, but it is the honest answer to the question asked.

I don't carry a gun around the house. I have enough guns hidden here and there that I really feel confident in getting to one if I need one. But, I carry a gun every place I go outside of the house. I carry a mid sized double stack pistol, with a spare 15 round magazine. The reasons are simple. Thin guns are really hard to shoot at a high level for just about anyone. You just aren't going to get solid .20 splits and .25 transitions out of any thin gun. The simple mechanics of size and weight fight against the shooter.

To me, it's not about just carrying a gun. It is about performing with the gun when the need arises, which should be the hows and whys of how we choose carry guns. For many, it is not and I get that. But, I do not understand the appeal of carrying something that is much harder to perform with. And I guess that I never will. I've been to two school shootings in my career, and a small gun is better than no gun, but a gun that you can exert a high level of control with is always my choice. I was on duty and obviously carried a rifle both times, but in this day and age, you never know where it is going to happen. I thought once I went to the first one, I wouldn't respond to a second. Sadly, I was wrong. And that shapes my opinions of gear and equipment choices.

The guys that like thin guns, REALLY like them. The Springfield XDS is an extremely popular pistol for detective carry and off duty carry where I work. It just isn't for me.

Is there a specific overall width that you consider “thin” and/or does width and length of the grip also play into the “thin gun” concerns you mentioned?

Posts: 12460 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
As someone with a BMI south of 25, I appreciate thin in firearms. Certainly helps my attire and ability to "dress for the gun"

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just switched from a glock 27 to a 43 for my carry gun. What a difference. The 43 is in a vedder light tuck iwb holster and I almost forget it's there.

I have over come the thought I need 10+ rounds in a carry gun. My carry gun is a defensive gun only. I'm not running into trouble unless my family is in danger. Those 7 rounds are to get my family and I out of danger.

If I'm going somewhere in feel I need more fire power I should reconsider going.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a 12 round single stack mag for G43 for those who insist on having a higher capacity single stack G43 mags, made by ETS. I have a couple of them and they are surprisingly reliable. They are also something that I look at and try to recall why I bought them.

I've no clue how you folks can discuss thick vs thin/ performance vs concealment business without actually putting those guns on, seeing how they carry or print, drawing them out, and squeezing a trigger once or three hundred times. I've an idea what 3 mm thicker than G43 or 4 mm thinner than G19 would look like, I don't know what it practically means to me.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
What I don't get is why the G43x is thicker than the G43 and mags don't interchange.
G43 magazine = 6 rounds

G43X magazine = 10 rounds

What am I missing here? Is it me? 'Cause somebody is missing something obvious. Is it me? WTF?

More choices means more things to complain about, I guess.

I think some folks are confused thinking that the G43X is simply a longer version of a G43. I don’t think they realize that one has a single stack mag and one a double.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
So far, only 25% have answered that they carry from wake up until sleep. Only 16 people have answered the poll, but so far my first suspicion is taking form.

bro, you don't even carry Big Grin. I can see why folks don't appreciate thin carry guns if they are only carrying a few hours a day.

To Strambo's comment, yes, it would be great if

The majority of CCWs don’t carry at all, then many who do likely over-inflate how much they carry because they never get over the ‘hump’ of figuring carrying out.

Still other use an IF-THEN flowchart do decide when they need to carry.

Other have come to the realization it is easier to have guns stashed all over the house to have one ‘within arms reach’ at all times instead of putting a pound or 2 of metal an polymer in a holster on their belt or in their pocket.

And then there is a small percentage who consider a firearm as just another thing to carry, like a phone, a large set of keys, or a flashlight, and clip one on all the time.

Yes, thin can matter to some people and every ounce and millimeter can make things easier.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post