SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    CCW without test fire
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCW without test fire Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
My answer hasn’t changed a bit in the last 14 threads on this. Yes, I would, and yes I have.

I find the notion you have to shoot xxx rounds of duty and xxx rounds of ball for the gun to be “reliable”. Y

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Never again.

When we got issued gen3 31s I just racked the slide a few times, moved my TLR-1 over, loaded up and stuck it in my holster.

Sometime later I finally got to shoot it on the range. After the third shot, no extraction. Can’t rack the slide to clear it. Four of us tried. I ended up smacking the front end on the range floor to clear it. Couldn’t see anything wrong. Took it apart and cleaned it and it worked fine from then on.

So when we switched to gen4 31s you bet I cleaned it and test fired it before putting it on duty.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Glock or HK.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Sig p226 in 9mm...

but if someone asked me what THEY should do with that same question it would mean they do not own a current carry weapon (handgun) and my advice would be don't.... there is a whole lot more to carrying than 'proving' the gun... the person needs to be proven first...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
If I had to in a make believe world, P226 9mm or CZ75B.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1736 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Hi-Point.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A person could get away with this if they did some very detailed research.

It takes 5 to 10 years to work the bugs out of a product. It takes another 5 years to verify design changes. Choosing something within these limitations would tip the odds in a person's favor.

Of course, choose something with a good rep in the first place.

I buy my firearms based on this criteria and have had no disappointments (during live fire).

I don't recommend doing this. You never know if you got a lemon or not.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
smith ,colt or ruger revolver

Posts: 52 | Location: pennsylvainia | Registered: July 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My last two new handgun purchases were an H&K P30 and a Wilson-tuned Beretta 92. One of them went back to Wilson and came back still not working, the other has been a rockstar for thousands of rounds. The Beretta finally got squared away, and is a great gun, but if I was going in-tested it would be bone stock from a major manufacturer.

-shooter

Posts: 342 | Location: VA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine many (any) or our regulars here would do this but I'd bet money a large percentage of recent first time gun panic buyers have never shot their new guns. Most have probably not even loaded them.
The gun safety "experts" in the MSM say you need to keep the gun locked up and ammo stored separately until needed.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
CCW without test fire

Not outside of some wildly improbable survival scenario. I have had a couple of guns that fired exactly one shot (the one in the chamber) before choking. And one of those was a SIG.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If the issue is ammo cost, I find that a bit specious. If you're going to buy a quality gun for a few to several hundred bucks, you can afford to scrounge (by any means necessary) a box of ball and box of your designated carry ammo to run through it for a minimal function check.

This, or course is minimal. Normally I'd want 500 rounds of a mix of range ball and carry ammo to vet a new gun. But if this isn't possible, I'd want at least what I listed above.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This exact scenario is fairly common in the military. Having to do a site visit for ops planning to a threat region where packing is a requirement, but you are not staying long term, getting issued a pistol you have never fired and a single mag of ammo is common. There is also a story about an Air Force security police officer who’s pistol was in for repair and was issued a different pistol he never shot prior and prevailed in a fairly long distance fight with a rifle armed assailant ( if I recall correctly engaged shooter from about 70 yards with an M9)

Posts: 3271 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
Just browsing through three pages of responses and am quite surprised to see such a high percentage of people who have had initial issues with mainstream firearms.

I have had the fortune and folly to have owned and sold upwards of a couple of hundred (?) of firearms over the last 32 years of firearms ownership. In that time the only one I ever had a problem with was a lightweight Colt Commander that some knucklehead thought would be a good candidate to have the feed ramp polished with a dremel. Need less to say aluminum feed ramps and dremels are not the best of friends. And yes, while that was many, many moons ago, the knucklehead was me Big Grin

While this is all hypothetical, and it has never been my practice to EDC without a few hundred rounds to shake something out, I'd have no problem grabbing a Beretta 92 or an HK anything and heading out into the field.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can not imagine carrying a gun without checking it out first. Any manufactured item can have a problem. That said it was not the premise of the thread so my choice like one poster said would be a H&K or Glock.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrw:
If I had to in a make believe world, P226 9mm or CZ75B.

^^ This

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I couldn't test fire it, my choice would be a revolver with factory ammo. You can test the action without ammo loaded and be darn near 100% sure the thing will work.

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
I recommend you don't test fire with the same level of confidence you should have if you pack your own chute for your first skydiving lesson Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sgalczyn,

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post