SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone with HK trigger time?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone with HK trigger time? Login/Join 
posted
I'm thinking about acquiring either a P30L in 9mm or a USP or HK45 in 45acp. I've read a lot about all three pistols and have also handled, but not shot, all three. Really can't decide but am leaning towards one of the 45s. Would like any thoughts, opinions or recommendations from those of you who have actual trigger time on one or all of these three models. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Rubec

Posts: 192 | Registered: June 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rubec:
I'm thinking about acquiring either a P30L in 9mm or a USP or HK45 in 45acp. Really can't decide but am leaning towards one of the 45s. Would like any thoughts, opinions or recommendations from those of you who have actual trigger time on one or all of these three models. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Rubec

I don't own a P30, but I do own a few HK's. I ankle carried a P2000SK for a while, and I do like the HK45C and UPS45C. They're reliable, easy to shoot, well made firearms. They're a bit big an blocky compared to others, and their capacity is limited. The double action triggers are gritty and poor out of the box, but serviceable. They're terrible compared to a Beretta or Sig.

HK's tend to be pricey, and you'll have to decide if you think they're worth it. They're good choices, and they're quality firearms. Of my HK's, I'd choose the HK45C for personal carry, and have in the past, though presently I carry a Glock.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shot the HK45 and absolutely loved it. Very ergonomic, soft recoiling, and accurate. There are also glowing reviews extant on the interwebz, and I believe with good reason. It even carries comfortably for such a large firearm.

I own a P30sk, obviously not a P30L, but very soft shooting for its size. The grips help it to feel more like a full sized gun during fire. I'm sure the added size of the P30L only enhances these positive attributes.

The USP line is reputed to have incredible durability and I don't question that, but they do not feel as comfortable in my hands. I have fired a USP 45 and the recoil impulse was bearable but not nearly as comfortably as the HK45.

None of choices HK offers are bad, but depending on how the weapons fit your hand some choices will be more enjoyable than others. I hope this helps, and happy shooting.

Psalm 144:1

Posts: 62 | Registered: April 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't had my USP45T very long, but it could very well be my most accurate pistol.

Posts: 185 | Registered: July 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The .45s shoot softer then you would think but usually only after you get a few rounds down them.

The P30 is fantastic pistol.

All HK DA/SA triggers pretty much suck. Heavy DA and not crisp breaks generally. The guns are very mechanically accurate though.

Many HK's DO require a break in period, especially in 9mm and I would imagine the P30L would. They do not tend to like powder puff 115 range fodder out of the box. Run NATO spec/defensive or just heavier 147 grain stuff for a box or three. This will loosen them up and they will run anything. Also a good cleaning and lubrication out of the box and some slide working will help as well. HKs tend to be reliable as all get out but some of them you have to work in / loosen up.

The USP has a slightly better trigger in DA/SA still nothing to write home about.

HK45 magazines can be very pricey. P30 and USP mags can be found fairly inexpensively.

LEM version are a LOVE/HATE affair. Folks either love em or like myself hate em'. For me there is just something distracting about the movement of hammer on reset/trigger stage whatever. I cannot explain it just bugs the hell out of me.

USP's and I believe the HK45 can be changed at whim as far as triggers go. The P30 you are locked into the configuration you buy.

Rear decocker on P30 is a love hate affair as well. I like the location. Unobtrusive and in a great position to decock on holstering and ride the hammer in.

Paddle mag release. The is sort of a come to Jesus fight for many people. Suffice to say most hate it. I LOVE IT. Don't use your thumb, use your index or trigger finger on the opposite side.

Other than that they are pretty much hell for stout guns. Are they better then a comparable Glock, yes in many ways they are do any of those ways make them a better fighting pistol, absolutely not.

I like my HK's very much, trigger warts and all. Big Grin

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I own both the P30L in 9mm and the HK45. Both are very nice and I like both. I found the HK45 a bit slippery in my hand, so I put on a Hogue Grip-All which helped, although it makes the grip rather fat. You can't go wrong with either one. The grip options on the P30 series are really nice.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I currently own a USP9 Tactical and used to own a USP 45.
If going with a USP I highly suggest getting the tactical model as the match trigger is far superior to the standard USP trigger.

The USP45 is hands down the softest shooting 45 I have shot. I acquired it for silly cheap and sold it for much more than I paid is the only reason I still don't have it. I will get a USP 45 Tactical eventually.

Both guns are silly accurate.

SAA's post reminds me that I do kick myself for getting the USP9 Tactical over the Expert. Since about 2 weeks after I got it they announced they were stopping production of the Experts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I am a BIG fan of the 45ACP based USP platform

My oldest one was purchased the week they were released and is serial number 25-00060x, it goes with my first week USP9 that is serial numbered 24-66x. That was over two decades ago and led to many more USP purchases through the years.

The family of full size 45ACP pistols are built like tanks. It is the ONLY 45ACP firearm that can safely chamber and shoot 45ACP, 45ACP+P and 45SUPER without any changes, that means no springs changed either.

Mine have proven to be very reliable and very accurate. The biggest complaint that is heard is about the trigger. No doubt it is not a target trigger, it is fine as a combat trigger but could have been better

To go a bit beyond the stellar combat accuracy of the standard USP, I added some of the higher end versions. These are fantastic shooters but do come with a larger price tag. They also come with a better trigger. The "Match" trigger has an over-travel stop and a much crisper break. Standard USPs can be updated with the better trigger if it bothers you. I never bothered on the carry guns.

I also added a USP Coyote Tactical and a USP Compact Tactical for use with suppressors.

Sorry, it appears I never photographed the USP45Ct Frown

I did even buy one of the colored frames when they came out. Mostly for fun since I already had a full size USP45. Truth is I have never shot this one

I do also own a HK45 Coyote Tactical, again no photograph Frown. I am not as fond of the HK45 as the USP family. The HK45 just seams to skinny in my hands, but then I am used to the larger USP and I do have large hands.

Additionally I am not fond of pistols with finger grooves MOLDED into the frame. They are going to fit the mythical "Average" hand. If you are bigger or smaller your grip will not be comfortable. If they were removable, like revolver grips, that would be a different story

Then there is the issue of magazine capacity. The HK45 holds ten while the USP45 holds 12 as it leaves the factory. Early on I noticed that the USP45 magazine and the Paraordnance magazines had identical sized bodies even though the HK held two less rounds. The difference was in the follower, the HK follower has VERY long legs. If you put a Paraordnance follower in the HK magazine it will then hold 13 or 14 rounds depending on which generation of Paraordnance follower you used. I have about 10 magazines that have been modified in this fashion

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Which para mag? I might want to tinker.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put me down as one who really likes the LEM trigger.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HK45 mags are $34.00 each .
I didn't feel that's pricey .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Which para mag? I might want to tinker.
The Paraordnance P14 is the one that holds 14 rounds of 45ACP.

As I recall the original design was 13+1. Then the follower (and possibly spring) was changed to hold 14 in the magazine.

There are at least 4 different 45ACP Para followers that I have seen over the decades. I don't remember which was which, I did this 15+ years ago.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dEX_RX
posted Hide Post
I just picked up an HK P30L in 9mm in the Lite LEM trigger variant. I like it a lot. Super high quality.

NXGen Tactical
CZ P-09 MHS Trials #79 | P320RX-TSS | P320SCR | VP9 LE

Posts: 110 | Location: Central Mass | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All your comments are very helpful regarding first hand experience with HK quality. But my gosh you're not making my decision any easier!! Definitely can't afford two at used prices let alone three! CDNN has a pretty attractive deal on a new P30L (V3 I think) right now and with HK offering four free mags with a new P30 or VP9 I might just go that route first. Just can't make up my mind.

Posts: 192 | Registered: June 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick B:
Where are you buying them?

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3093 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I have a USPc in 9mm and a Mark 23. The triggers are pretty decent in my opinion, especially the Mark 23. I have always thought HK's are really overbuilt and robust, especially the USP series. Their consistency in fit and finish is unparalleled.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
YMMV, but the P30 V3 trigger is one I don't like. Far too much takeup, finger motion and extraneous travel for my liking. I don't get how they wound up here from there: my USPc's DA/SA is for me world's better. So is the DA/SA trigger on the subsequent HK45, which came after the P30 if memory serves. LEM light (V1 on the P30, I believe) would be my Mulligan if I were to do the P30 all over again...which I wouldn't thanks to the excellence of my VP9. Now if HK would just get around to making a VP45.

Besides, these supposedly premium quality ergonomic guns are way oversold in my book. Great ergonomics might mask a mediocre trigger, but AFAIC it can't undo a crappy trigger experience.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcowboyscr:
quote:
Originally posted by Nick B:
Where are you buying them?

Grabagun has HK45 magazine for $34. Some places even less. Price went way down on them over a year ago.

http://grabagun.com/mag-hk-hk45-45acp-10rd.html

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/227710S

Posts: 9746 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I personally would buy a P30L or HK45 over any USP and did. I tried all and consistently shot the both better than any USP I tried. I love the P30/VP9/HK45/PPQ grip style.

It is always best to try out each for yourself and see what you like best.

P30 DA trigger can be improved greatly with a couple easy spring changes. The DA on my P30LS is now one of my favorites. The SA trigger was always very nice.

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/p...g-11-lb-15p18147.htm

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/p...tyle-Light-p1955.htm

Posts: 9746 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a USP45 that is a fine piece and soft shooting and my only complaint is the trigger reach, but I have smaller hands. P2000 9mm I have is a real nice gun for the money, good ergos, close in size to a p239, and a good shooter. My usp compact 40 is my favorite. Really well thought out gun. Short trigger reach, soft shooting, easily concealable, built tough, decocker and safety, along with the bobbed hammer that is a real nice feature when carrying IWB. I no longer carry them due to predisposal to the sig style mag release. But they are excellent. Just as someone else stated about the finger grooves, I never liked them either. I suggest you get a few in your hand before you purchase. Can't really go wrong though, they will all shoot great.

Posts: 177 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post