SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 X5 Reviews are out
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 X5 Reviews are out Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Still very, very interested in that X5. Eager, even.

So far, my one qualm is that the plate for the optic mount contains the sights, so doesn't look like you have have both irons and optics.

Is the Deltapoint Pro compatible? It has an integrated flip up rear backup sight.

Posts: 841 | Registered: January 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know about G&A, but I do know that the P320 X5 looks like one of the most accurate pistols for the money. Throw a Romeo 1, a Surefire x300,and you have one of the most badass pistols on the market!

Sig - Beretta - Ruger - Colt - Glock

Posts: 79 | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Honestly, a P320 and X5 seem like two mutually exclusive things, at least to me.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Honestly, a P320 and X5 seem like two mutually exclusive things, at least to me.

The point has not escaped many, ever since it reared its head. Wink

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Until SIG USA decided they weren't mutually exclusive anymore. Now we're presented with the P320 X5. It's more than a regular P320, yet not quite an X5.

SIG owns the X5 trademark and can slap it on a Mosquito if they wanted to, but they shouldn't mislead the public into thinking the P320 X5 will yield the same accuracy as their German counterpart.

So far SIG has not directly stated that, but by virtue of branding it an X5, it's easy to assume the same level of accuracy can be achieved. That's why I only looked at the accuracy test results of the G&A article.

Posts: 841 | Registered: January 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SS:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Until SIG USA decided they weren't mutually exclusive anymore. Now we're presented with the P320 X5. It's more than a regular P320, yet not quite an X5.

SIG owns the X5 trademark and can slap it on a Mosquito if they wanted to, but they shouldn't mislead the public into thinking the P320 X5 will yield the same accuracy as their German counterpart.

So far SIG has not directly stated that, but by virtue of branding it an X5, it's easy to assume the same level of accuracy can be achieved. That's why I only looked at the accuracy test results of the G&A article.

It may be a mistake on SIGs part to slap the X-5 name on this pistol when that name brings to mind the super-accurate P226 derived pistol.

However, I am not sure that at the price point it is selling at that the P320 X-5 doesn't still represent an excellent value given the features. Standing on it's own, the pistol features many upgrades that should lend themselves to the pistol being a very accurate model potentially. That the X- models are capable of some very good accuracy right out of the box is evident by the near 1" best group of the X-Carry and the sub 1" best group of the V-Tac model. IIRC the X-5 groups were pretty good as tested, but not outstanding.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be curious to read the article all the way through. I know that I've read some that are shot by people who profess they have diminished eyesight or don't shoot pistols well. Hardly who I'd want doing anything but a ransom rest. Not saying that's what happened here but just a thought on reviews and testing in magazines.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
This pistol has me intrigued.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:
It may be a mistake on SIGs part to slap the X-5 name on this pistol when that name brings to mind the super-accurate P226 derived pistol.

I remember the release of the X5s, they were meant to be competition pistols, and not just for bullseye. They ended up being piss poor competition pistols for most speed sports, and few bullseye guys converted to X5s for obvious reasons (better to stick with the devil you know).

Thus the only thing most people associate the X5 with is being a super accurate plinker. But that is consumer impression rather than actual reason that the label was invented. That is why the Allround was made, and in Germany you could get a IPSC Open pistol that were all labeled as X guns.

The P320X5 is the first X5 that was actually well designed to be a competition pistol. SIG took most of the suggestions that came from GGI and incorporated them into that pistol (yes I know Phil claims it was his own design but that grip model has virtually identical features as the one Roy designed).

I've handled one, it is a pretty nice pistol, I like the grip module. It isn't on my gun purchase list because I am done with production for a while, but I probably wouldn't sell it if I won one off the prize table.

But hey what do I know. I've been enjoying shooting my rifle and shotgun more than pistols lately.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
A kick-ass striker gun? Considering what kinds of pistol I like and gravitate towards, it sounds pretty good to me. Smile

If only it had a Glock grip... Razz

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
I'm getting one, my 320-RX is one of my favorites and this seems like a nice upgrade for a decent price.

I don't see the drama with the X5 name. Of course it doesn't compare to a 226 X5, I don't think it was ever supposed to. It's the target/competition version of the 320 and from initial reviews and speculation it appears to have earned the X5 moniker. I can't wait to hear some real user reviews and range reports.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:

I remember the release of the X5s, they were meant to be competition pistols, and not just for bullseye. They ended up being piss poor competition pistols for most speed sports, and few bullseye guys converted to X5s for obvious reasons (better to stick with the devil you know).

Thus the only thing most people associate the X5 with is being a super accurate plinker. But that is consumer impression rather than actual reason that the label was invented. That is why the Allround was made, and in Germany you could get a IPSC Open pistol that were all labeled as X guns.

The P320X5 is the first X5 that was actually well designed to be a competition pistol. SIG took most of the suggestions that came from GGI and incorporated them into that pistol (yes I know Phil claims it was his own design but that grip model has virtually identical features as the one Roy designed).

I've handled one, it is a pretty nice pistol, I like the grip module. It isn't on my gun purchase list because I am done with production for a while, but I probably wouldn't sell it if I won one off the prize table.

But hey what do I know. I've been enjoying shooting my rifle and shotgun more than pistols lately.

You make a great point! I don't shoot competitively, just for fun and hd. The difference in weight should be advantageous in any kind of action shooting activity where pin point accuracy wouldn't necessarily be needed. On the other hand a heavier pistol would tend to be easier to shoot accurately, all else being equal, but slower at action type shooting.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guns & Ammo reviews are not objective at all. I agree, listen to users.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Did not read article. Is the X-5 grip module compatible with standard 320 uppers and FCU's?

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Did not read article. Is the X-5 grip module compatible with standard 320 uppers and FCU's?

I saw a picture from Alma where he put one of our Team 320s in a X5 grip module.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very excited to get mine!

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
I'll echo PPGMD. The German Mastershop X5s weren't well suited to any particular competition. Further, they were accurate, but frankly the accuracy Team SIG got out of our P320s makes for any difference between the two pretty moot. Really, the accuracy out of some of these guns is stunning.

Finally, and this is a point the faithful won't like, the Mastershop guns didn't last. That's right, they were unreliable. At less than 20,000, sometimes less than 10,000, they often stopped feeding. Happened to me, happened to Bruce twice, happened to plenty who used these guns in competition. We aren't talking spring changes, either, but rebuilds. I wouldn't take another if it were given to me.

Some additional weight would be nice for certain games (NRA Action Pistol) and SIG has responded. A powdered tungsten grip weight and lightened slide to cut down on reciprocating mass. If it's a piece of crap I'll say it out loud, but for now it may be the best competition platform we've seen from SIG.

Posts: 2459 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see the P320 X-5 is finally on the SIG website!

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
A thing to think about.

"Mastershop" and "X Series" are only names. In the context of some other manufacturers.

Smith and Wesson has Performance Center items. Originally, they were really high end revolvers. As the public changed moods, they offered some badass 5906s, Shorty 40s, and other really regal guns.

Now, they offer M&Ps to the line up. I don't think personally that the M&P tarnishes what was once offered. I wish the Performance Center would still offer 59xx guns. They had a 5906 that was to die for.

But, I don't think the addition hurts the name.

The X-320 is made to compete with the Performance Center M&Ps, and the custom XD 5.25 guns. They are crushing most all comers in certain divisions such as Action Pistol. I'd dare to say that the X-series in its current form hasn't saw a checkered flag, or national record since Bruce set the last ones.

Here's to hoping that the X-320 (X5) will set may records to come.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kind of like the earlier "Sport" series.
DA/SA iron sight compensator guns.
I never could find out a sport they would be competitive at. Not IPSC, USPSA, IDPA, NRA, ISU or IHMSA at any rate.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post