SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Boberg XR9??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boberg XR9?? Login/Join 
posted
It has been a while since we had a discussion on the Boberg line of pistols. It is my understanding that they were purchased by Bond Arms.

Who here owns an original Boberg?
Are you happy with the pistol?
Do you carry it?
Any service contact with Bond Arms?

Anybody purchase a Bond version (Bullpup)?
What has your experience been?

Thanks

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
"The first and only gun manufacturer to earn the endorsement of Glenn Beck!"
~Bond Arms Site

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shot a xr9 short barrel and a long barrel. They were rental guns at hiller sports in norwalk ct, now fairfield count sports when i lived there. When using cheap winchester white box, it would sometimes pull the case off the bullet dumping powder into the mag.

Other than that i enjoyed the gun

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I have shot a xr9 short barrel and a long barrel. They were rental guns at hiller sports in norwalk ct, now fairfield count sports when i lived there. When using cheap winchester white box, it would sometimes pull the case off the bullet dumping powder into the mag.

We're they recent production guns?

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
The gun requires properly crimped or bonded ammo. Its not meant as a range gun with cheap WWB...believe it even had that listed in the owner's manual.

I had an XR9L - it was a jam-o-matic from first round fed in it. The lifter was gouging the inside of the slide and I actually had it jam with a round in the chamber and couldn't get the slide open. Yeah, that was fun.

Boberg was horrible when it came to customer service. The guy I was dealing with said I was limp-wristing it and they sent it back to me "repaired" but said nothing was wrong. I tried it at the range after and it was indeed fixed and shot fine (so much for limp-wristing).

Sold it shortly thereafter...wasn't really fond of an expensive gun and no support.

edit: found video showing the lifter locking it open (using snap caps on the bench)

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:
quote:

We're they recent production guns?

No they were original boberg guns

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
As I understand it, this gun feeds by stripping a cartridge backwards off the magazine, then carrying it back forward to feed into the chamber? Talk about a SISOP.* Unneeded complication.

*Solution In Search Of a Problem

Posts: 27935 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The design is just a curiosity to me. I like guns that are different and unique in design. I also like to see them as the design and manufacturing process matures. Sometimes they improve and sometimes they fail. I just have not heard anything about this design since the early introduction when most of these problems were discovered. Curious if they were ever fixed.

For the record, I would likely never carry one, primarily because I do not trust striker fired pistols.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Something must have changed since the Boberg days. Bond Arms has 115gr WWB on their Bullpup9's approved ammo list. In fact, it's their "top choice", the proclamation text even colored in RED.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:

Something must have changed since the Boberg days. Bond Arms has 115gr WWB on their Bullpup9's approved ammo list. In fact, it's their "top choice", the proclamation text even colored in RED.

I saw the Bond video demonstrating 4 pistols fresh off the line with WWB, so must be they have confidence. They also demonstrated how to create & clear a jam with another brand, which was uncrimped. I found it interesting.

Again, plays into my curiosity.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
As I understand it, this gun feeds by stripping a cartridge backwards off the magazine, then carrying it back forward to feed into the chamber? Talk about a SISOP.* Unneeded complication.

*Solution In Search Of a Problem

Tell that to John Browning and Hiram Maxim. Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:
The design is just a curiosity to me. I like guns that are different and unique in design. I also like to see them as the design and manufacturing process matures. Sometimes they improve and sometimes they fail. I just have not heard anything about this design since the early introduction when most of these problems were discovered. Curious if they were ever fixed.

For the record, I would likely never carry one, primarily because I do not trust striker fired pistols.
The Bobberg is not a Striker fired pistol. It is a Double Action Only pistol and it has a hammer and firing pin. It is also one of the lightest DAO triggers I have ever shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?.../watch?v=-TSva89jbNM

I have three of them. They all shoot fine and I have carried all three depending on my mood

The 45 is amazing. So much performace in such a little package

It is true that you must use ammunition that has good neck tension. Once you find something it likes, stick with it. With following the list in the instruction manuals, plus the way I crimp my hand loads, I have never had a round separate on me in the 3 or 4 years I have been shooting these firearms

I have been toying with the idea of converting the XR-9L to fire 356TSW ammunition. I just need some time to modify a couple of magazines as the case mouth head spaces on the metal seams pf the magazine so I ned to cut a few a little deeper.

My contacts with both Arne Boberg and Gordon Bond have always been pleasant and constructive. Never had a problem with either company

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I wish Arne was available when I was dealing with my issues. He was overseas with his wife for an extended period and I had to deal with one of his guys. Sadly, if my interaction was any indication, its no wonder the company ended up being sold...Arne didn't get the support needed from his team.

You can't roll out a new company fronting a new design and not nail the customer service part of running a company. I was supremely disappointed as I watched the development for quite some time and was an early adopter.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

Tell that to John Browning and Hiram Maxim. Wink

I always want to learn new things. So tell me which handguns they designed, that were successful , that used backwards magazine feeding?

Posts: 27935 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt, thank you for straightening me out on the action and providing your experience.

Once again, my curiosity deepens.

posted Hide Post
I really liked them. Not bad guns, far better than many out there.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
colt_saa, you never cease to amaze me. I'd love a chance to gaze upon your collection.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I’m seriously considering the Bond Bullpup. Love unique weapons and by all accounts it is a very very nice weapon. Colt - have followed Boberg since beginning and glad to hear the tail end worked out so well.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I handled the Bond Bullpup version at the local gun show this weekend. Seems as nicely made as the original.

The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
I’m seriously considering the Bond Bullpup. Love unique weapons and by all accounts it is a very very nice weapon. Colt - have followed Boberg since beginning and glad to hear the tail end worked out so well.
Gordon Bond did two things when he took over the firearm.

First he optimized machining operations to be able to reduce the price with out the quality suffering. It is still an expensive firearm to prodcue

Second he had the barrel and locking piece coated in Titanium Nitride. This is the spot where Boberg owners are supposed to put the little dab of Never-Seize.

With the Bond Arms version there is no reason to get all dirty using the Never-Seize.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post