SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    320 models - help me understand
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

320 models - help me understand Login/Join 
posted
I am trying to get my head around the wide line of 320's. What are the actual difference between the different models X, RX, M, etc.

Part 2: Watching some you tube videos one guy said the finish on the tan guns doesn't hold up very well. Is there something to that, or is he just trying to look super perceptive?

229, 220, 320 Xcompact, 365, 365XL

Posts: 38 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont think I really answer your question, but its an effort on Sigs part to make a gun that answers every perceived need or use, using a striker fired mechanism.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cckw:
I am trying to get my head around the wide line of 320's. What are the actual difference between the different models X, RX, M, etc.

Part 2: Watching some you tube videos one guy said the finish on the tan guns doesn't hold up very well. Is there something to that, or is he just trying to look super perceptive?

I'm new to P320, but I gather this...
X5 I see as a target version.
RX ....red dot sight version
M....might identify grip module size.

I recently purchased a P320F (garden variety, full size).
Put an X5 grip module on it, with magwell funnel/grip weight, so now it sort of looks like an X5.
Added :
Apex trigger bar
Keres adjustable trigger
GG Fat Guide Rod which takes 1911 springs

An inexpensive, very capable range gun.
Easy to shoot accurately.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The finish on the tank pistols is as durable as any, I think, bearing in mind that it's a coating, not an actual color of the metal.

There are three sizes of the P320: full size, compact, and subcompact.

Pistols belonging to the full size include the P320F, X-5, and Legion X-5. Full size pistols using a full size grip module will take 17 round magazines. For those using an x-grip module, only current magazines wiht the square peg in the base plate, or older magazines with the dog ears trimmed, will fit. For those full size pistols using the mag well, the 21 round magazines fit best. With the funnel mag well, you can insert some magazines with certain baseplates, but they're harder to seat and extract (if needed); the 21 round magazine is tailor made for use with the funnel mag well.

The Compact pistols refers more to the slide/barrel length, than the grip module. Both the Carry and Compact models use the same slide/barrel length. Generally, Compact means a 15 round magazine, and Carry means a 17 round magazine (in 9mm). Given that the concept of the P320 is that other grip modules can be attached, there are a number of combinations one could assmeble with the various grip modules that Sig sells.

The Subcompact also refers to the slide length, rather than the grip frame. It's smaller than the compact, and a grip module may be attached which is smaller. The subcompact magazine is 12 rounds.

To muddy that a bit more, the new x-compact grim module is an x-grip made for the subcompact upper/slide assembly, but it takes the 15 round magazine. The same grip assembly may be placed on the compact slide. The x-compact pistol uses the subcompact slide, and x-compact grip.

The RX designation denotes a slide milled for a red-dot.

There are two basic grip modules; the standard, and the x-grip. The x-grip is a bit more ergonimic, has a larger beavertail area, and fills the hand a bit more, while the standard grip module is flatter, also quite ergonomic, and available in multiple colors (black, tan, and green). The x-grip modules are available in black and tan.

There is an additional grip module which is an x-grip, but is made of polymer which is infused with tungsten to make it heavier. The x-grip modules also take a weight which slides into the grip behind the mag well. The TXG grip is tungsten infused, with the weight. It may be purchased with or without a weighted mag well that can be attached to the base of the x-grips. The TXG grip is available for the full size pistols, and is comes with the Legion. It's a popular choice at shooting competitions.

Various triggers, guide rodes, magazine bases, etc, are available for the P320.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The finish on the tank pistols is as durable as any, I think, bearing in mind that it's a coating, not an actual color of the metal.

There are three sizes of the P320: full size, compact, and subcompact.

Pistols belonging to the full size include the P320F, X-5, and Legion X-5. Full size pistols using a full size grip module will take 17 round magazines. For those using an x-grip module, only current magazines wiht the square peg in the base plate, or older magazines with the dog ears trimmed, will fit. For those full size pistols using the mag well, the 21 round magazines fit best. With the funnel mag well, you can insert some magazines with certain baseplates, but they're harder to seat and extract (if needed); the 21 round magazine is tailor made for use with the funnel mag well.

The Compact pistols refers more to the slide/barrel length, than the grip module. Both the Carry and Compact models use the same slide/barrel length. Generally, Compact means a 15 round magazine, and Carry means a 17 round magazine (in 9mm). Given that the concept of the P320 is that other grip modules can be attached, there are a number of combinations one could assmeble with the various grip modules that Sig sells.

The Subcompact also refers to the slide length, rather than the grip frame. It's smaller than the compact, and a grip module may be attached which is smaller. The subcompact magazine is 12 rounds.

To muddy that a bit more, the new x-compact grim module is an x-grip made for the subcompact upper/slide assembly, but it takes the 15 round magazine. The same grip assembly may be placed on the compact slide. The x-compact pistol uses the subcompact slide, and x-compact grip.

The RX designation denotes a slide milled for a red-dot.

There are two basic grip modules; the standard, and the x-grip. The x-grip is a bit more ergonimic, has a larger beavertail area, and fills the hand a bit more, while the standard grip module is flatter, also quite ergonomic, and available in multiple colors (black, tan, and green). The x-grip modules are available in black and tan.

There is an additional grip module which is an x-grip, but is made of polymer which is infused with tungsten to make it heavier. The x-grip modules also take a weight which slides into the grip behind the mag well. The TXG grip is tungsten infused, with the weight. It may be purchased with or without a weighted mag well that can be attached to the base of the x-grips. The TXG grip is available for the full size pistols, and is comes with the Legion. It's a popular choice at shooting competitions.

Various triggers, guide rodes, magazine bases, etc, are available for the P320.

Like.
Nice, detailed summary.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
And to muddy the waters even more.

There is also an X Pro series. Comes in full size, carry and compact. Has the X grip, flat trigger and the slide is milled to accept the Leupold DPP or the new Sig Romeo 1 Pro.

I'm carrying the full size Pro for a duty sidearm, when I bought mine they were restricted to LE, though that was supposed to change and may have by now.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also the X-Series I have purchased (X5, X5 Legion, X Carry & X Compact) have actual lighter pull weights (regardless of trigger shape) & seem to have shorter reset & overtravel.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to the Sig site 320 section. It has photos of each variation and brief descriptions, plus a comparison tool. I've found it very useful.

https://www.sigsauer.com/produ...rearms/pistols/p320/

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the grip modules, the standard grip is overly round and gives less inherent feedback to the shooter. I thought that the X-series have flatter sides, and were an improvement over the original grips modules.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
This comparison made the rounds a few years ago when the P320 first arrived on the scene.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
These are the closest things to GunLegos®...

...and in color!

Posts: 3998 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post