SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Python, S&W 686. Which one would you take if the prices were the same?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Python, S&W 686. Which one would you take if the prices were the same? Login/Join 
Picture of bripro
posted
Try to keep it between these two examples. 6 inch blued Python or 4 inch stainless 686.
Just imagine they are exactly the same price and you had a whole safe full of semi automatics and wanted to add on just one revolver. Again try to keep it between these two, which one would you take?

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Posts: 155 | Location: United States | Registered: May 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At current market values, the Python. Then I would sell it, buy a S&W 686 and pocket the extra $1500 or whatever. If they were worth the same, then the S&W 686. More everything available for those.

Posts: 34 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
For me, it would depend on the intended use. Theoretically speaking, would either be for keepsake, range or carry? The 686 is a workhorse meant to shoot and carry. The Python is...well, it's a Python. It has more 'investment' potential.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Colts are a little prettier, but the S&W actions are more durable in my experience. If the guns were worth the same money, the S&W would be the better pick to me.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I think he is making the supposition that the two are in this scenario, of equal financial value. Clearly this is not the case, but if I’m not mistaken, the op is asking which revolver you’d rather have for its own unique characteristics.

I’d choose the GP100 Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15565 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
If I was buying one just to shoot, not worried about the value, it would be the 686.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
686 for me too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I prefer the 586 cause it is not too flashy and have it
Colt are more if an investment but that is for younger folk.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back when they were a lot closer in price, I had that option. I think I owned four or five Pythons over the years. I was determined to appreciate all the praise the Python got.

I never did. The python trigger feels mushy and stagy to me. A Smith feels crisper.

A good Smith all day long for me.

Credit to the Python for appearance and history though. It’s a beautiful gun. I still own one, no intention of getting rid of it.

Posts: 882 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would definitely be the 686. The Smith can be a range toy, a BBQ gun, or carried for self defense. There is decent after-market support, and I wouldn’t worry about scuffing it up. Plus, I would imaging it is easier to find a gunsmith who can work on the 686 then it is to find someone who can work on the Python.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I generally like the mid to shorter barrels, unless dedicated hunting revolvers. The 4” barrel is about ideal.

I did just buy a 6” S&W Model 57 in 41 Mag though. It was local & the price was right.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted a Python so I would choose the Python.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by APSAbner:
At current market values, the Python. Then I would sell it, buy a S&W 686 and pocket the extra $1500 or whatever.

My thoughts exactly.

Also, this... no bueno.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bripro
posted Hide Post
^Yeah I’d take the McCormick too if it could fit it in my pocket.^

I kind of figured most people would take to Smith And Wesson. In my own scenario I would too. I just don’t think anything about the Pythons justify their current value.
I find it interesting how most of us would pick the 686 if they were the same price yet so many people keep on paying the big bucks for the Pythons.

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Posts: 155 | Location: United States | Registered: May 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Python, I simply think having a Colt is cooler than a Smith.
I've always wanted a Trooper MkV.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Of the two, I'd rather have the 686. But I'd rather have a Model 27 than either of those.

Posts: 8563 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
A six-inch blued classic over a four-inch something I can get any day of the week? That's not even a question, IMHO - Python, without thinking twice about it.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own and shoot both. I have always liked S&Ws better then Colts. But I really like Colts also. I think if I was planning on shooting it a lot with heavy loads, I would go with the 686. But for just occasional range use I would be hard pressed to decide. If you can find a Python right now for about what a 686 costs, you should jump on it.

Posts: 619 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post