SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Python, S&W 686. Which one would you take if the prices were the same?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Python, S&W 686. Which one would you take if the prices were the same? Login/Join 
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Python to look at, Smith 686 to bet my life on.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^*^686

Semper Fi

Posts: 399 | Location: orlando,fl,usa | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd pick the better gun. The 686

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Had both, still have the Python.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
Python, nicest trigger out of the box, hands down.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5295 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Any time you can get a Python for the price of a 586\686 you should jump on that like free money!

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've had a half dozen 686 models over the past 20 or so years. They all shot fine & handled very well, excellent trigger/action on most of them.....satisfactory in all respects.

They also took the very same speed loaders as Python. They all served me well. They all found new homes sooner or later.

I've had a 4" nickle Python for nearly 40 years.
Despite fascination with a gaggle of 686 & a 586, the Python remains resident.

arc is right. No way the price is gonna be 'the same'.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by APSAbner:
At current market values, the Python. Then I would sell it, buy a S&W 686 and pocket the extra $1500 or whatever. If they were worth the same, then the S&W 686. More everything available for those.

Here too.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7504 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've bought and sold 4 Pythons. I have three 686 and matching 617s. There are just so few Python smiths out there.

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a shooter get the 686. For a collector get the Python. If you want both get the Python if it's a reasonable price and then continue your search for a Smith .357, they're out there. I recently found a hardly used Smith M13 4" to go with my 3". It was the last issue before the lock.

Posts: 51 | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I like both and I have snubbie versions of both. But for me Python no question.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2756 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 7mm Mauser
posted Hide Post
The Snake

Port Orchard, WA

Posts: 170 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
I didn't want a Python when they were $600, why would I want one now?

The 686 is twice the gun the python is. The 686 is more durable by far.

Colts will have their price drops just like Winchesters did. There is really nothing special about the snake guns.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If both regularly sold for the same price, I'd take the 686. I much prefer S&W lockwork over the Python.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I sold a Python not htat long ago. I don't think the market for them is what people think it is.

When i carried a Model 19 for a living, my Lt. was always trying to get me to trade it in exchange for his Python.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is REALLY hard for me to make this a simple 'pick one' choice.

When there is a difference in finish as well as barrel length, and an unclear understanding of what the purpose really is- then it isn't simple.

Based on what you state, it seems you want it because you want a revolver- not that you will use it for nightstand or carry/defense.

For me, the barrel length indicates different roles, and the length would determine my choice.

That said, I would plan on sending any Colt OMT/OMS/OMM/Python/Trooper [original] to Frank Glenn in AZ to have him do a trigger job and clean up any timing issues.

If it were a S&W, I'd have someone go through it to polish/fit the internals to smoothen the action. Well, I'd do it myself- as I did with my S&W.

IF you are more a fan of semi-autos, the price is the same [and is at an appropriate price for S&W 686- not inflated], I'd go with the Colt- and then just get it tuned.

S&W are easy to find, and just work well. But, they aren't a deal you can't find again. Colt Pythons at S&W 686 prices are a deal you may not see again.

BTW, keep an eye open for a Colt Model 357 also- the pre-Python .357mag. Same action/frame, with different barrel and finish. Made from about 1953-1961. Should be cheaper than a Python, but shoot about as well. A sleeper. Smile

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
686, It's easy to do your own trigger job, a few swipes with a arkansas stone, new springs and a bit of lube and your set. plug the lock though. and there's a new mount for the aimpoint acro for S&W.

sig nut', haulin' 3 sig 228's

Posts: 264 | Location: over lookin' beach and border | Registered: December 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post